China mining disaster

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest ShaQuaNew

An explosion ripped through a coal mine in northern China on Sunday, killing at least 74 miners and trapping dozens more.

I trully hope that no one has any loved ones working in this mine that had this explosion. My heart goes out to these people.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090222/ap_on_...a_mine_accident

My wife is from Shanxi province, but quite a way from this site. There's a lot of coal mining going on in those hills, with companies and miners taking unsafe shortcuts.

An explosion ripped through a coal mine in northern China on Sunday, killing at least 74 miners and trapping dozens more.

I trully hope that no one has any loved ones working in this mine that had this explosion. My heart goes out to these people.

My wife is from Shanxi province, but quite a way from this site. There's a lot of coal mining going on in those hills, with companies and miners taking unsafe shortcuts.

Yes . .ask the families of USA miners in W.Va, Kentucky, etc about these unsafe shortcuts. They know about them first hand.

Yes . .ask the families of USA miners in W.Va, Kentucky, etc about these unsafe shortcuts. They know about them first hand.

Remind me again what unions are for?

Guest ShaQuaNew

To create extra costs for employers so that they can no longer pay employees?

It's a hard life when the the only job that lets you feed your kids, is the one that might kill you before they grow up.

History shows that people will do whatever they think they can get away with, and "taking unsafe shortcuts" needs to not be an option for them. There is no free market solution for that, and human lives should not be part of the commons anyway.

Edited by Christopher (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

It's a hard life when the the only job that lets you feed your kids, is the one that could make sure you're not around to see them grow up ...

Yes, indeed it is tough for the coal miners in China. Most of them have been working in these mines for generations. I understand many of the larger mines are much safer, but there are a large number of mines that are worked ad-hoc to cut costs.

It's a hard life when the the only job that lets you feed your kids, is the one that could make sure you're not around to see them grow up ...

Yes, indeed it is tough for the coal miners in China. Most of them have been working in these mines for generations. I understand many of the larger mines are much safer, but there are a large number of mines that are worked ad-hoc to cut costs.

Which was one of the reasons unions in the USA were started in the first place ...

Guest Tony n Terrific

Unions had their places and yes they did help get help in making the work place safer and helping the working person recieve a livable wage and job protection. One of the main reason we have all of the nice resorts in the US is because of Unions. They helped the working guy get a paid vacation and he did not have to worry about loosing his job becasue he took two weeks off.

When Reagan fired the PATCO strikers in 1981 that was the start on the downward trend for the unions in this country.

Unions had their places and yes they did help get help in making the work place safer and helping the working person recieve a livable wage and job protection. One of the main reason we have all of the nice resorts in the US is because of Unions. They helped the working guy get a paid vacation and he did not have to worry about loosing his job becasue he took two weeks off.

When Reagan fired the PATCO strikers in 1981 that was the start on the downward trend for the unions in this country.

Most of the benefits white collar workers take for granted, were initially won by unions, and corporations had to extend them to white collar people too. Medical/dental insurance, 40 hour work week, paid vacation, etc.

Note, I am not saying there aren't times when the unions went overboard.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Most of the benefits white collar workers take for granted, were initially won by unions, and corporations had to extend them to white collar people too. Medical/dental insurance, 40 hour work week, paid vacation, etc.

Note, I am not saying there aren't times when the unions went overboard.

Unions provided the means and a voice for Americans to get better pay, benefits, and safer working conditions, especially in pre-WWII and 1950s America. When it comes to unions today however, your treading on territory that will in no doubt inspire heated cyclical debate. There are some that strongly believe in unions, and there are just as many, if not more that don't believe them to be working out in the way they once did.

As for worker safety in China, they are making progress, but have a ways to go.