Jackie Chan movie too violent for China

Guest Tony n Terrific

I read that they withheld release.... not that it was banned..

Could we at least get facts and not drama? What's the story?

Actually the article is a little confusing with no facts. The movie was not banned but it was not released in China by the director because he did not want to tone it down. -- "Hong Kong director Derek Yee said Monday that he considered toning down the violence in "Shinjuku Incident" so it could pass censorship in China, but decided not to because he thought it would hurt the integrity of the movie."

So this implies the director think it would not pass censorship but not that is was banned. However what does "not pass censorship mean"? Usually means that unless the film is edited it will not air or is banned.

So the director decided his film would be censored or banned and did not release it. But how does he know this for sure? But it is clear Chinese goverment did not ban this film.

What I find more interesting is the comment in the article "The 2005 Hollywood film "Memoirs of a Geisha" was not released on the mainland apparently because the sight of Chinese actresses Zhang Ziyi and Gong Li portraying Japanese entertainers would offend viewers."

I like how the AP uses the word apparently and assumes to know how the Chinese viewers would feel. My wife says this is stupid. That her or none of her friends feel this way about Ziyi and Li being in this movie.

More strange .. it is a chinese lanaguage movie. Why would the director make the movie in Chinese knowing that it would be too violent to release in mainland China? Just seems odd.

Maybe using the USA marketing ploy .. generate some hype and discussion about the film in mainland China so when he does release it everybody will want to go see it just to see what hte fuss is about?? Like the stupid movie with Sharon Stone where many people went to see just to see her cross her legs and the shot of her ..... Without that hype the moive would have been a flop.

But normally Jackie Chan movies are always good and doesn't need such hype...interesting.

I like how the AP uses the word apparently and assumes to know how the Chinese viewers would feel.

The AP didn't make this assumption, the Chinese gov't did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoirs_of_a_Geisha_(film)

Banned by the Chinese government

The film was originally scheduled to be shown in cinemas in the People's Republic of China on February 9, 2006. The Chinese State Administration of Radio, Film and Television decided to ban the film on February 1, 2006 considering the film as "too sensitive". In doing so, it overturned a November decision to approve the film for screening.[20]

The film was set in Japan during World War Two, when the Second Sino-Japanese War was taking place. During this time, Japan captured and forced Chinese women as “comfort women” for their men.[21] Controversy arose in China from an apparent confusion of equating geisha with prostitution, and thus the connection with, and reminder of, comfort women being used in Japan at that time.

Newspaper sources, such as the Shanghai-based Oriental Morning Post and the Shanghai Youth Daily, quoted the fears that the film may be banned by censors; there were concerns that the casting of Chinese actresses as geishas could rouse anti-Japan sentiment and stir up feelings over Japanese wartime actions in China, especially the use of Chinese women as forced sex workers

I like how the AP uses the word apparently and assumes to know how the Chinese viewers would feel.

The AP didn't make this assumption, the Chinese gov't did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoirs_of_a_Geisha_(film)

Banned by the Chinese government

The film was originally scheduled to be shown in cinemas in the People's Republic of China on February 9, 2006. The Chinese State Administration of Radio, Film and Television decided to ban the film on February 1, 2006 considering the film as "too sensitive". In doing so, it overturned a November decision to approve the film for screening.[20]

The film was set in Japan during World War Two, when the Second Sino-Japanese War was taking place. During this time, Japan captured and forced Chinese women as “comfort women?for their men.[21] Controversy arose in China from an apparent confusion of equating geisha with prostitution, and thus the connection with, and reminder of, comfort women being used in Japan at that time.

Newspaper sources, such as the Shanghai-based Oriental Morning Post and the Shanghai Youth Daily, quoted the fears that the film may be banned by censors; there were concerns that the casting of Chinese actresses as geishas could rouse anti-Japan sentiment and stir up feelings over Japanese wartime actions in China, especially the use of Chinese women as forced sex workers

Ok .. your right. Here is another article with more insight.

http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=32059

Has much to do with how the Chinese people feel about Japan.

My wife is part of the younger generation that was born after the opening up of China so she has a different view sometimes from older Chinese (of course that same can be said of generations in every country).