A long road........

My wife and I were married in Zhuhai in June of '01. I was teaching English there and had a resident's permit, (green book) and a "Z" visa. Because I was holding the resident's permit, I was able to file (hand-deliver) my I130 to the INS office in Guangzhou.

That was done on Sept. 17, '02. I received the P1 on Sept. 25, the P2 on Nov.29, and the P3 on Nov.30. Her first interview was on June 10, 03. She was rejected because I didn't qualify on the AOS, and needed a cosponsor.

I hand-delivered our cosponsor's AOS on the morning of July 1. Her IR1 visa was approved on July 2 (her birthday), and she picked up the brown envelope on the afternoon of July 3.

We cleared customs and immigration in Seattle where my wife’s passport was stamped with her “A” number and an I551 employment authorization on Sept. 16, and we flew on to Salt Lake City, where we are living today. On Sept. 22 we applied for her SSN at the local SS office, and were told that it would take 6 to 12 weeks for them to check everything out with immigration.

Now here’s the really good news. YESTERDAY, OCT. 3, MY WIFE’S GREEN CARD ARRIVED IN THE MAIL!!!!! Now, all that remains is the SSN. That will be the final step in a process that has taken almost 4 years.

As an added bonus, within a few hours of the arrival of my wife’s green card, the good friend, “SixStringRonnie”, with whom we are staying for the time being, received notice of approval of his K1 petition after 193 days. His fiancé also happens to be my wife’s best friend .

Yes, October 3, 2003 certainly was a “red letter” day or everyone.

I will be posting a much more detailed account of our experience in the “our stories” section very soon.

:o