China drought leaves 4 million without water

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest Tony n Terrific

The latest drought began in November and has affected 24 million acres of crops, one-third of them seriously, the official Xinhua News Agency said. Most of the hardest-hit provinces were in northern China, with several in the east.

Almost half of the wheat-growing areas in the eight provinces — Hebei, Shanxi, Anhui, Jiangsu, Henan, Shandong, Shaanxi and Gansu — were threatened, Xinhua said, while nearly 4 million people lacked proper drinking water.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29028406/

Its interesting how there is a huge drought just 4 hours away from us yet were not effected? I've been watching on T.V. they have national guard and other military types out there getting water to people to drink and for the crops, they were even launching water into the air to act as rain ;)

I must be really stoopid - who grows crops in November - February?

If 'greenhouse' for fruit and veg - that's already 'piped-in' water, yes ?

Oh well - maybe it's winter wheat n barley?

Can I rent a clue?

Can I rent a clue?

The news clip said winter wheat.It depends upon the location when it needs water the most. Clip said wheat will be harvested in may. Harvest starts maybe around june in kansas.

Can I rent a clue?[/quote

It is all about latitude.

In terms of temperature, China can be divided from south to north into six zones: tropical, subtropical, warm-temperate, temperate, cold-temperate, and Qinghai-Tibet Plateau temperate zones.

As you can see, the climate is extremely diverse, from tropical regions in the south to sub arctic in the north. Hainan Island is roughly at the same latitude as Jamaica, Guangzhou as the Florida Keys, while Harbin, one of the largest cites in the north, is at roughly the latitude of Montreal, Canada.

Therefore, when it comes to crops and crop plantings, it is more complex/diverse than what we are used to in the USA.