Buying musical instruments in Chinertucky

I'm gonna soon be runnin' across the pond to marry and I want to take everything I can with me. I've got this really nice bass geetar that I gave $1,800 buckeroos for and I'm wondering if maybe I'd be better off to leave this baby here and buy me a new axe in China.

Anyone go into any music stores in China? Surely they have them. I can't wait to see if our city has any music stores but I may have to go to Shenyang, or even to Beijing.

I really want to find some young players and get a kick ass garage band together...if'n we can find us a garage.

Anyone have any thoughts or better yet, experience with this in China?

tsap seui

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna soon be runnin' across the pond to marry and I want to take everything I can with me. I've got this really nice bass geetar that I gave $1,800 buckeroos for and I'm wondering if maybe I'd be better off to leave this baby here and buy me a new axe in China.

Anyone go into any music stores in China? Surely they have them. I can't wait to see if our city has any music stores but I may have to go to Shenyang, or even to Beijing.

I really want to find some young players and get a kick ass garage band together...if'n we can find us a garage.

tsap seui

You should talk to my friend Steven in Qindao. He has some kind of Chinese rock music promoter thing he is doing called Yellow Rock. Here's the Myspace.

tsap seui

My wife says, there are plenty of music stores in China. No problem with that. :)

Hey Bubba I have been to only 5 or 6 music stores in 3 different cities in China. Prices were high and quality was cheap. If all the rest are like what I have seen, you are definitely better off taking your axe if ya want somethin decent to play. Better take a few extra packs of strings with ya too. I even played a few pinanas there and ALL were out of tune. :ph34r:

I'm bettin that findin some young fellers to jam with there will be easy fur ya.

Yes, quality is low in many instrument stores unless you want to pay huge prices (probably not an obstacle for you). So just leave your "axe" in the USA and blow a few thousand on another one! :P What's another couple grand? :lol: Me, I bought a guitar for less than 100Y and squeezed out beautiful music there. But I am not as good as you so what do I know?

Yes, quality is low in many instrument stores unless you want to pay huge prices (probably not an obstacle for you). So just leave your "axe" in the USA and blow a few thousand on another one! :blink: What's another couple grand? :lol: Me, I bought a guitar for less than 100Y and squeezed out beautiful music there. But I am not as good as you so what do I know?

Well suh, "beautiful music" is very subjective. :lol:

Do I detect a "note of discord" (pun intended) in yore post, bubba?

Not as good as me? That is a way of thinking that is very alien to me, I stopped measuring my goodness to other men 24 years ago, when I got sober. ;)

I only feel like a simpleton redneck hillbilly that has had his share of lifetime experiences...nothing more.

If you feel inadequate as far as Ben Franklins I'll be happy to tell you a tried and true way to financial success.

Put on your entrepreneurial hat, start up a carpet cleaning company, and grow it into a 3 truck operation...which pays you $125,000-$175,000 (after tax profit) a year in the last 10 years of your running it, and then sale the whole kit and kaboddle for $300,000, take the money and buy, renovate, and flip 11 houses.

I'm just a slow talkin' dumb redneck and that's what I did. So there's you an outline for success, you'll only need to supply yore own marketing. :(

Good luck!!

tsap seui

Hey Bubba I have been to only 5 or 6 music stores in 3 different cities in China. Prices were high and quality was cheap. If all the rest are like what I have seen, you are definitely better off taking your axe if ya want somethin decent to play. Better take a few extra packs of strings with ya too. I even played a few pinanas there and ALL were out of tune. :o

I'm bettin that findin some young fellers to jam with there will be easy fur ya.

Hey thanks guys, Chawls, Batmaniac, Randy, and John. The websites are appreciated and the words of people that have been there done that are very helpful. :)

Thank you too Oscar.

tsap seui

I love this part of Candle

DONT take your bass to China.

You can buy one there.

YOU HAD BETTER bring along some REAL strings with you though.

tsap seui

Well I had some experience with music stores in Beijing. I had to buy a violin last fall for a birthday gift for my neice. It worked out pretty good and I got a better violin for the money than I could have bought in the states. :o

However, guitar sales are a different matter! The only premium guitars were from America. The Chinese brands were not soo good and all the Chinese were trying to buy the American brands but paid through the nose... :)

If I were you, I would hold on to your bass ;)

Tsap,

My last trip to China, last year Aug. '08, on the way over I was sitting beside this tall thin American fella. Everybody knows how long the trip is, so we had plenty of time to talk. When he got on the plane and sat down beside me, he was carrying a banjo case. He somehow managed to squeeze it into an overhead compartment, and sat down. I started talking to him out of curiosity about bringing a banjo to China. :o He assured me it was infact a real banjo, having been duly inspected infected detected and neglected, by the security folks and all, and proceeded to tell me his story.

It turns out that Bluegrass is very popular in China and Japan ;) and that he is a member of a traveling band that tours all over the place playing, ... well ... that's right Bluegrass! Who knew!!! :o Apparently they've been doing it for years, members of the band come and go, and according to him, they're quite popular and make pretty decent money doing it!

Now, I was born and raised not too far from your neck of the woods, and I grew up on Bluegrass, and every other type of hillbilly music you can imagine. I just never in my mind pictured a Chinese coal miner slapping his knee to the same music my grandfathers (all coal miners BTW) slapped their knees too!

You being a redneck and all, just thought you'd like to know! :)

Jeff

Who knew!!!

Ok so Batman knew! :) I didn't anyway, and I thought it was pretty funny! BTW...

Vocalist Abigail Washburn isn't just a fan of globalization. As the leader of the mind-bendingly bilingual Sparrow Quartet, she embodies all the best possibilities of the seemingly inexorable process hurling cultures together at ever-increasing velocity.

A clawhammer banjo player steeped in bluegrass and American old-time music, Washburn is also a passionate Sinophile who has created a beguiling repertoire weaving Mandarin lyrics and traditional Chinese melodies together with songs gleaned from the "old, weird America," Greil Marcus's enduring term for the age before electronic mass-media homogenization.

"old, weird America"

I thought that was pretty funny too. :o

Jeff

Hey guys, thanks for the replys and the websites. I'm kinda hesitant to take my hotrod bass over to Chinatucky, then again...it's set up the way I wanted it.

It's lookin' like we're gonna be doing a lot of traveling in China so maybe I'll get back with a couple of the guys I played with back in the 70's when and if we come back to america.

Thanks again for your input, when I go over to marry the wackie wabbit I'll certainly stop into every music store in her city.

tsap seui

Hey tsap.....I've got a classical guitar that was built by a Chinese luthier, though the person who imported put in his own label never let the name be known.

Right now, I've got a luthier putting a new englemann spruce top on it.

Apparantly, the chinese guy overbuilt the guitar and it never had really good tonal quality. In fact, the tone sucks. Instead of a normal bracing, he's got what seem like blocks of wood at the neck end of the cedar soundboard, and a light lattice bracing under the bridge side of the board. The 'blocks' were killing the tone and the light bracing is bellying the board under the bridge. The back and sides have some really good wood and are well built and strong, with a noticably parabolic back, but it seemed he was trying to overstrengthen the top. So while he built it strong, he killed the tone...only about 1/5 of the top is vibrating. The neck also needs to be leveled and dressed. With the new engelmann spruce it should be a sweet guitar.

If I were doing it over, I wouldnt buy this again.

I dont know if this helps you or not, but that is my only experience with a Chinese-made and bought instrument.

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)