Answers to unexpected/odd questions at interview

We are doing some last minute preparations for the interview and I'm wondering if it's better to make up answers to unexpected/odd questions such as "What is his favorite professional sports team?" or "What is his first grade math teacher's name?" (completely made up questions, but you get the idea), or if it's better to just calmly say, "You know, we never really talked about this. It just never came up in our years of conversation. I guess there are still some things I will learn about him when I join him in the States."

Guest Dylan W

I would stick to the infamous 95-100 questions... anything other than what's on their should be a more simple answer. Otherwise if they throw you tons of oddball questions, they already have their decision prior to the interview, so any answer given wouldn't really matter anyways... IMO.

I often can't even answer that kind of questions about myself - for those "password reminder" questions, I started using the same 6 character answer no matter what the question was.

Best way to handle these is to just remain cool, calm, and confident and have some kind of a response.

I often can't even answer that kind of questions about myself - for those "password reminder" questions, I started using the same 6 character answer no matter what the question was.

Best way to handle these is to just remain cool, calm, and confident and have some kind of a response.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to prepare her for, so she doesn't get flustered if they ask a strange question.

My opinion (and you know how that goes) is always tell the truth.

The "Sorry, I have never ask him that question." seems easiest for her to remember, and is an honest answer.

As other people said, if they ask her something really wild, they have already planned to deny her the visa, and it is just a formality to ask stupid questions.

If it is a reasonable question that she just doesn't know, making up a fake answer could cause problems as they would become suspicious.

Really, I think your over-worrying about the interview.

My wife refused to do any of the "practice" that is suggested here.

Her opinion was if they didn't want her to come to america, she really didnt want to be here.