Update on Green Cards

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

Most of you know that I moved from the US nearly 8-months ago, after accepting a job in Nanjing, China. Of course, what complicated the issue a bit was that both my wife and daughter have two-year green cards that are due to expire early this year. It's now rapidly approaching the time to renew these cards, and we all wanted to be sure that we maintained the LPR statuses, especially that of my Chinese step-daughter, who just turned 18.

I'm happy to say after telephone conferencing with two immigration attorneys in New York last night, that their statuses can remain intact as long as we take active steps now. First, we must file the I-751 to renew their cards, and most important they must return to the US before their cards expire to await their biometrics and interview. In my daughter's case, she plans to move to the US and remain there to finish school. For my wife, she will go and remain there until after the GC approval.

Naturally we were all a little concerned about losing status, but I am now quite encouraged by the information provided by these two very experienced attorneys. We have maintained a US residence, since leaving, and bank account, which is most important. The hard part of course will be waiting for my wife to return to China until after the interview. Both plan to return to the US sometime before the end of February and stay with friends. Sarah will finish her senior year in HS, and then move on to pursue college. She's a strong young woman, and I'm quite proud of her. While they are K1 and K2, it was nice to hear that their green cards are considered to be independent of the other.

Most of you know that I moved from the US nearly 8-months ago, after accepting a job in Nanjing, China. Of course, what complicated the issue a bit was that both my wife and daughter have two-year green cards that are due to expire early this year. It's now rapidly approaching the time to renew these cards, and we all wanted to be sure that we maintained the LPR statuses, especially that of my Chinese step-daughter, who just turned 18.

I'm happy to say after telephone conferencing with two immigration attorneys in New York last night, that their statuses can remain intact as long as we take active steps now. First, we must file the I-751 to renew their cards, and most important they must return to the US before their cards expire to await their biometrics and interview. In my daughter's case, she plans to move to the US and remain there to finish school. For my wife, she will go and remain there until after the GC approval.

Naturally we were all a little concerned about losing status, but I am now quite encouraged by the information provided by these two very experienced attorneys. We have maintained a US residence, since leaving, and bank account, which is most important. The hard part of course will be waiting for my wife to return to China until after the interview. Both plan to return to the US sometime before the end of February and stay with friends. Sarah will finish her senior year in HS, and then move on to pursue college. She's a strong young woman, and I'm quite proud of her. While they are K1 and K2, it was nice to hear that their green cards are considered to be independent of the other.

remember you need to send renew 90 days before expiration

Guest ShaQuaNew

remember you need to send renew 90 days before expiration

Yes, thank you. That's quite correct. The paperwork can be filed not before, but within 90-days of expiration, and must be received by the USCIS before the card expires.

Because we needed to clarify some of the more complex legal issues before filing, including logistics, we will be filing about six weeks before my wife's card expires, and a little less than 90-days before my daughter's card expires.