smartphone translator?

I've been following the cect P168 line for some time.

Now they've come out with the aPhone (see http://www.mall.hk/product_info.php?info=p...M--iPhone-.html ) and the specs say it's got that wonderful microsquish Pocket PC 6.0 os built in.

If so, this is gonna be a fun 'hack' - as I wanna load up a PPC 6.0 chinese / english translator in it - take it on my next trip to Wuhan / Chengdu. I'm gonna try this ppc software - http://www.lingvosoft.com/LingvoSoft-Trave...-for-Pocket-PC/

YUM !

course, the other cool bits is that it's a quadband gsm phone, can handle two sim cards simulateously, with some wap and gprs .

my other fun bits will be in getting a good bluetooth phone headset for it too.

I'll report back in a month or so, as time permits.

Wah Wah.. ÍÛÍÛ

a quick followup -

The aPhone , of course, was designed to be 'yet another model' of the iPhone Clone. CECT company makes many devices, releases about 1/2 of what it makes under it's own label, the rest are oem'd for other companies. I got enamoured of their lines with the P-168, but never went on to get one, as I have a working Motorola Accompli 009 that works both in China and in the USA - totally different OS, of course, but has a qwerty keyboard larger than any blackberry. Mondo useful if you need to text quickly.

Recently, the aPhone has been coming out to the cut rate small shops, with a sales price o 150.00 usd. I'm picking up two this upcoming Friday, this will be fun.

a quick followup -

The aPhone , of course, was designed to be 'yet another model' of the iPhone Clone. CECT company makes many devices, releases about 1/2 of what it makes under it's own label, the rest are oem'd for other companies. I got enamoured of their lines with the P-168, but never went on to get one, as I have a working Motorola Accompli 009 that works both in China and in the USA - totally different OS, of course, but has a qwerty keyboard larger than any blackberry. Mondo useful if you need to text quickly.

Recently, the aPhone has been coming out to the cut rate small shops, with a sales price o 150.00 usd. I'm picking up two this upcoming Friday, this will be fun.

Wow, I really thought it was an iPhone at first. It's a pretty good deal at around $150 USD and I like the fact that it's dual sim. If I saw these I'd probably consider buying one as well. I'm interested to know how the hack turns out.

FWIW, I'd never buy an iPhone. It's not that it isn't useful, or that I'm an Apple hater - it's SOLELY that ATT service has not made any 'feasible' approach to billing since it was introduced. During the first 8 months of it's rollout in CONUS, each 'user' received a huge billing statement, with all of the usage so minutely detailed. For me, it was a battle of cool technology vs 'stupid' billing processes.

When they have a 50/month plan for data for this phone, I'll look at again.

CECT's line of SIM-based GSM phones are useful for any carrier that provides SIM cards for usage. Usually in the CONUS, that means, for me, I'm hanging with T-Mobile - and can switch their sim on any unlocked GSM phone I have at hand. Usually, though, in the CONUS, when a consumer 'buys' a cell phone from a carrier, the phone is locked to that carrier and there's a 1 to 2 year contract. I've never been a fan of that, I like being able to try new GSM phones - t-mobile allows me to do that from simply buying a 1 year contract for JUST A SIM, or even their month-to-month prepaid stuff.

Anyway... happy Monday !

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

I also don't like the fact that AT&T or most US carriers force you to have a 2 year contract with them. The monthly bill for the iPhone is high, but I'm not sure which carrier has a cheap data plan.

On the other hand some people say it is still cheaper to buy an iPhone in the US than an iPhone without a contract abroad. You can buy an iPhone 3G, pay 1 month of service, cancel the contract with a termination fee ($175) and it will still be cheaper than buying the un-subsidized (by AT&T) phone.

Then unlock this with software (which I have already done - and it works!)