Form 169 Question

Hi There,

On the instructions for immigrant visa applicants it states "Do NOT send the actual documents to the Consular office as we will have to destroy them. You will not be scheduled for an appointment until you submit these forms."

My question is about what the embassy is asking for? Does Do NOT send the actual documents mean (a)don't send any documents except DS -230 Part 1 or (:) send copies of the check listed items and the DS-230 Part 1 completed form.

Thanks appreciate those of you who have been around the bend helping others like myself join you. :angry:

Curtlives

Hi Curt,

I think you did DCF'ed (directly filed the I-130) to the US consulate at Guangzhou...

Your referring to the P3 stage.

A DCF will respond to this like a K# visa person (as opposed to a state side CR1 who does P3 through NVC)...

So... you just return the DS-230 part I and you check off the items on the OF-169; No need to actually supply any of those documents.

Most of them will be taken to the medical exam and included in the sealed envelope. Your wife will take the I-864 to the interview (not to the medical).

• 3 weeks later...

David and others,

How long do I have to turn in the DS-230 Part 1 with the OF-169? I called the USCIS office and they told me that they couldn't answer my question. Actually a little rude. I was thinking at least 6 months. We got it on November 20th.

Thanks,

Curt

Hi Curt,

I think you did DCF'ed (directly filed the I-130) to the US consulate at Guangzhou...

Your referring to the P3 stage.

A DCF will respond to this like a K# visa person (as opposed to a state side CR1 who does P3 through NVC)...

So... you just return the DS-230 part I and you check off the items on the OF-169; No need to actually supply any of those documents.

Most of them will be taken to the medical exam and included in the sealed envelope. Your wife will take the I-864 to the interview (not to the medical).

Curt - I've always viewed the word 'actual' to mean 'original' . So don't include any 'original documents' from that list. If you want to 'cover your @ss' because of ambiguities in instructions, submit a copy, label it a copy, with a statement 'This is a copy of the original document. The original can be supplied during any future document submittal whether in person or via postal submittal'

This is really where it gets sticky - as NVC is now requiring original documents, and the non-medical forms that USED to get put into the medical packet at the medical 'place' are no longer gathered during the medical exam.

You're not going through NVC, and you'll need , at some point, to submit original documents.

If you have a contact inside the DCF office where you originally filed, you may want to contact them directly, for further clarification.