Microsoft's MSN to limit Internet Chat

Hi All,

I am trying to set up Netmeeting so my fiancee and I can talk. I figured it would be best to do whilest I am here in China. However, this is proving to be a challenge, since her computer has all Chinese text.

1. We already have NetMeeting 3.01 loaded on her PC. Is this a fairly current version? If not, where can I get the latest version?

2. We are both on LANs, in other words, both have 192.168.x.x IP addresses. Unfortunately on her end, we do not have access to the Firewall/router. Is it still possible to use NetMeeting?

3. This is like comp 101 question, but please bear in mind that I am using a Chinese version of XP. The "run" option on the start menu appears to have disappeared. I can't figure out how to re-enable it. Could someone please post instructions on how to do so (hopefully in a generic enough sense that I can figure it out on a Chinese PC?)

Thanks,

P.J.

Guest Se_Lang
2.  We are both on LANs, in other words, both have 192.168.x.x IP addresses.  Unfortunately on her end, we do not have access to the Firewall/router.  Is it still possible to use NetMeeting? 

nope, you need to be able to open ports at the router to allow certain packets access.

as for # 3 it should be the same as english XP you can try going to regedit.com I will also go look.

I know what you mean about being in Chinese, as I have had to work on my GF comp remotely this was not fun when you move a mouse and wait 20 seconds for a response but if you know XP it should all be about the same

Does she have powerword from Kingsoft?

Guest Se_Lang
3.  This is like comp 101 question, but please bear in mind that I am using a Chinese version of XP.  The "run" option on the start menu appears to have disappeared.  I can't figure out how to re-enable it.  Could someone please post instructions on how to do so (hopefully in a generic enough sense that I can figure it out on a Chinese PC?)

Thanks,

P.J.

Right click on "START" Button click on "properties" click on "customize" then click on "Advanced" Tab you should see a scroll list find the "Run" option and check or uncheck it let me know if this helps

BTW regedit didnt help ;)

Since it is all in Chinese I can send english screen shots if you need should be same.

Se Lang,

Thanks for this insight. I actually wold be very grateful for screen captures to re-enable the RUN option. We created a new profile that has it, but just in case this happens again in the future. Also, her new profile doesn't have all the options that the old one does, so it would be nice to re-enable.

Please email screen captures to ptenn10(~AT~)yahoo.com. This account seems to work best for me while in China.

You're right, using a Chinese PC when you don't read Chinese is a pain!!!!!

P.J.

Guest Vernon&Yueyi

Thought Microsoft was only turning off the Chat Rooms abroad, do they also plan to turn off MSN Messenger?

Yueyi and I use Netmeeting often which is way cool for staying in touch as we wait the long wait.

Guest Se_Lang

Netmeeting has been a god send for us as well we spend about 3 hours a day on it. The draw back to netmeeting, email, Yahoo, Internet is I have never written her a hand written letter or sent her a hard copy card everything has been electronic but we do send care packages at least once a month she gets chocolate, I get tea and jerky, Last year she sent my kids some gifts for christmas, and I sent stuff to her an her family.