What comes next for CR-1 in US?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Duck for Thanksgiving sounds really good...I wonder how it'd be for the TH day feast? mmmm.

anyhow, assuming husband is actually getting a visa in the mail from the guy he paid to send it to him from GUZ post office-- and that he'll be on a plane within a month or so...

What will come next for him as a CR-1?

1st, how long does he have to use this visa? 90 days? less? more?

I've been told a few things...pieces I've asked about like at the airport...but I'm still a little confused...overwhelmed perhaps with the info.

So if anyone has some good info/advice on what comes next--

from entering the US at the airport immigration line -- to getting tax ID # and SSN....

to the next step...(which I don't have any idea at this poing haha)...with a CR-1 when does he get to do that "AOS"? etc, etc.?

and when can he become citizen and what benefits will he have then vs now?

Okay...

Look forward to your suggestions and info! :)

A few things,

I believe the visa has a validity of 90 days or perhaps 6 months, you will need to look at the visa.

If 2nd wedding anniversary happens BEFORE the visa eipiration, try to delay entry to the USA until AFTER you celebrate 2 years of marriage. This way the resulting green-card will be UN-Conditional 10 year green-card. If entry is before 2 years of marriage the resulting card is a 2 year conditional card and you will need to file an I-751 within 90 days of the card's expiration.

Arrival at the airport is straight forward just go through the immigrants line, turn in the large brown immigrations packet to the POE officer, have thumbs scaned for finger prints, take a picture, and have passport stamped I-551 this makes pasport a temp green-card. SSA comes next, if you checked the DS-230 for a card, give it 3-4 weeks, and if no card then visit SSA for another card, dont bother visiting SSA fr at least 2 weeks after entry, USCIS takes that long to update the database so SSA wont issue.

NO AOS needed for a CR-1, they get I-551 stamp and have "green-card immediately upon entry. AOS are for NON-Immigrants like K-Visas they need to "Adjust Status" from NON immigrant to Immigrant to get green-card.

Citizenship filing can be done 3 years after entry on an immigrant CR-1 visa.

A few things,

I believe the visa has a validity of 90 days or perhaps 6 months, you will need to look at the visa.

If 2nd wedding anniversary happens BEFORE the visa eipiration, try to delay entry to the USA until AFTER you celebrate 2 years of marriage. This way the resulting green-card will be UN-Conditional 10 year green-card. If entry is before 2 years of marriage the resulting card is a 2 year conditional card and you will need to file an I-751 within 90 days of the card's expiration.

Arrival at the airport is straight forward just go through the immigrants line, turn in the large brown immigrations packet to the POE officer, have thumbs scaned for finger prints, take a picture, and have passport stamped I-551 this makes pasport a temp green-card. SSA comes next, if you checked the DS-230 for a card, give it 3-4 weeks, and if no card then visit SSA for another card, dont bother visiting SSA fr at least 2 weeks after entry, USCIS takes that long to update the database so SSA wont issue.

NO AOS needed for a CR-1, they get I-551 stamp and have "green-card immediately upon entry. AOS are for NON-Immigrants like K-Visas they need to "Adjust Status" from NON immigrant to Immigrant to get green-card.

Citizenship filing can be done 3 years after entry on an immigrant CR-1 visa.

yeap 'dnoblett' you hit the nail on the head and covered all the

bases

seems to me you have 6 months to enter the states before the

visa expires..... but then again I could be dead worng

Thanks everyone~

So, if the wedding date was Jan 15, 07-- but he entered before xmas (this is a bummer-- I'm actually hoping he will be here before xmas)...but that means that when he arrives, it'll be less than a month to our 2 year anniversary...

So you said we need to file before 90 days of the green card expiration...

if he entered say, December 21st, and our wedding 2 year anniv. is on Jan. 15 '09, what would that mean about a green card expiry that was just issued to him?

Thanks... B)

6 months is correct.

If he enters the country after your 2nd anniversary then he will get an unconditional ten year green card. Otherwise he will get a two year card and you will have to file to remove conditions within 90 days prior to the expiration date of the green card.

Thanks everyone~

So, if the wedding date was Jan 15, 07-- but he entered before xmas (this is a bummer-- I'm actually hoping he will be here before xmas)...but that means that when he arrives, it'll be less than a month to our 2 year anniversary...

So you said we need to file before 90 days of the green card expiration...

if he entered say, December 21st, and our wedding 2 year anniv. is on Jan. 15 '09, what would that mean about a green card expiry that was just issued to him?

Thanks... :D

6 months is correct.

If he enters the USA on the 21st the resulting card will be 2 year CONDITIONAL card, that will need to have an I-751 filed to remove the conditions within 90 days of the card expiration and pay a FEE $545 http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

If he enters the USA after Jan 15 2009, the resulting card will be the 10 year card, (NO $545 fee later for filing I-751 and all the collected evidence to prove a bona fide marital relationship.)

While being here for Christmas seems like a great thing, the 10 year card is really a much better deal. It will save you a PITA filing for removal of conditions and you'll be done with the USCIS for 10 years.

If you have the vacation time available I'd suggest you go to China for Chinese New Year with his family and return to the US together. You can check with others, but homesickness seems to be much more dramatic during Chinese New Year, especially the first one in the US. I'd strongly advise letting him use Chinese New Years to say goodbye to friends and family, it will mean a lot to him, much more than you can imagine.

One thing I don't recall seeing here, after he has been in the US for more than 2 weeks go get his SSN. You will want that for a couple of reasons. The most important would be to amend last years tax return and file jointly and if you didn't do that. It gives you some extra cash to take advantage of the tax laws. :lol:

Plus you might be able to get the extra cash available from the tax rebate. :roller:

While being here for Christmas seems like a great thing, the 10 year card is really a much better deal. It will save you a PITA filing for removal of conditions and you'll be done with the USCIS for 10 years.

If you have the vacation time available I'd suggest you go to China for Chinese New Year with his family and return to the US together. You can check with others, but homesickness seems to be much more dramatic during Chinese New Year, especially the first one in the US. I'd strongly advise letting him use Chinese New Years to say goodbye to friends and family, it will mean a lot to him, much more than you can imagine.

One thing I don't recall seeing here, after he has been in the US for more than 2 weeks go get his SSN. You will want that for a couple of reasons. The most important would be to amend last years tax return and file jointly and if you didn't do that. It gives you some extra cash to take advantage of the tax laws. :lol:

Plus you might be able to get the extra cash available from the tax rebate. :roller:

An excellent suggestion, we did just that, we had a big party with family and friends over spring festival, and then returned to the USA together using the K-1 visa.

hmm. I guess we could do that--

only problem is-- baby is due on April 4-- and if he arrived in February (after Chinese New Year), 1. it would probably be too close to delivery (esp. since they said good chances I'll have it early) for me to travel like that 2. he might miss the pregnancy and birth altogether...and that would be sad for both of us (he has expressed his intent to be here asap for that esp.).

So we have some decisions to make regarding what's most important for him and me ... celebrating Chinese New year there before he leaves or spending time here with preg. and baby...or looking at it from a green card standpoint too... is it really important to get that 10 year one? I'm not quite sure of the implications of getting a shorter one vs. a longer one...other than an additional cost down the road about 2 years from now and having to do something 90 days prior to that... I guess I'd be okay either way...but I won't be able to travel there that late in the preg. to bring him back.

Also, I want to make sure I understand the green card thing...

why would getting a green card for 10 years even matter if he's going to become a citizen in 2-3 years anyhow? (I have no idea when he'll be eligible for citizenship)... but seems he'd only need a 2-3 year one.. anyhow?

And assuming he entered on Dec. 15, this year before xmas...and if we did get the 2 year one, it will expire in about December 15, 2011 then? and we'd need to reapply or renew (for $545 or more by then) 90 days prior to Dec. 15, 2011?

anybody ever wish they had done it by getting the 10 year one? what are some of the other benefits of the 10 year one that I might be missing here?

Thanks!

decisions decisions

One thing I don't recall seeing here, after he has been in the US for more than 2 weeks go get his SSN. You will want that for a couple of reasons. The most important would be to amend last years tax return and file jointly and if you didn't do that. It gives you some extra cash to take advantage of the tax laws. :wub:

Plus you might be able to get the extra cash available from the tax rebate. :wub:

An excellent suggestion, we did just that, we had a big party with family and friends over spring festival, and then returned to the USA together using the K-1 visa.

only problem is-- baby is due on April 4-- and if he arrived in February (after Chinese New Year), 1. it would probably be too close to delivery (esp. since they said good chances I'll have it early) for me to travel like that 2. he might miss the pregnancy and birth altogether...and that would be sad for both of us (he has expressed his intent to be here asap for that esp.).

So we have some decisions to make regarding what's most important for him and me ... celebrating Chinese New year there before he leaves or spending time here with preg. and baby...or looking at it from a green card standpoint too... is it really important to get that 10 year one? I'm not quite sure of the implications of getting a shorter one vs. a longer one...other than an additional cost down the road about 2 years from now and having to do something 90 days prior to that... I guess I'd be okay either way...but I won't be able to travel there that late in the preg. to bring him back.

why would getting a green card for 10 years even matter if he's going to become a citizen in 2-3 years anyhow? (I have no idea when he'll be eligible for citizenship)... but seems he'd only need a 2-3 year one.. anyhow?

And assuming he entered on Dec. 15, this year before xmas...and if we did get the 2 year one, it will expire in about December 15, 2011 then? and we'd need to reapply or renew (for $545 or more by then) 90 days prior to Dec. 15, 2011?

anybody ever wish they had done it by getting the 10 year one? what are some of the other benefits of the 10 year one that I might be missing here?

Thanks!

decisions decisions

Yes - if you get the 2 year card now, you will have to apply to remove conditions 1 year and 9 months later - this is before he is eligible for citizenship, so he would not be able to skip that step. If he waits for the 10 year card, he won't have to re-apply or re-new, and can go straight to citizenship in 3 years after the green card date.

In the over-all scheme of things that's a minor difference compared to what you're facing now. I would say choose the path that's the least stressful or that works the best for your plans.

THese are all very good points...and it's smart to think about waiting for the 10 year one.... I can imagine that at that time (1 year, 9 months from now) we'll probably be wishing we'd waited for the 10 year one haha...but you are right... we have to do what we can do and what's best now. iF we make the best decision for our situation it might not be the overall best thing...but we're going to have to win some/lose some here ---can't have it all :wub:

I'll talk with him about how he feels. I asked him originally when he'd want to be here.. he said "about one month". I said, "maybe two months" and he said, "that's too long"... so...we'll talk again because if I didn't know these things...he probably doesn't either.

Thanks for all of the input, info and suggestions! It really educates me...and helps us a great deal!~

:wub:

Thanks!

decisions decisions

Yes - if you get the 2 year card now, you will have to apply to remove conditions 1 year and 9 months later - this is before he is eligible for citizenship, so he would not be able to skip that step. If he waits for the 10 year card, he won't have to re-apply or re-new, and can go straight to citizenship in 3 years after the green card date.

In the over-all scheme of things that's a minor difference compared to what you're facing now. I would say choose the path that's the least stressful or that works the best for your plans.

The pregnancy adds a factor I hadn't considered. Talk about the options together and make the best decision for your family.

The removal of conditions is more of an annoyance, but for most it is just a matter of paperwork to get this done, but you can not skip this step. Even if this gets delayed in USCIS hell you can still file for Citizenship 3 years from his initial green card date without the removal of conditions being completed.

2011? No No - 2010 - 2008 + 2 = 2010 .. Regardless, he'd be eligible in 2011 to file for citizenship (2008+3 = 2011).

But - here's a nice 'huh' ? For those of you who did CR-1 - what was the expiration date indicative of ? (take a look at yer GC, pick one):

1. 2 years from the date of issuance or

2. 2 years from the date of POE

Good luck, lass - hang in there....