Filing IRS Form W-7, Application for ITIN

With tax time approaching, I have just prepared the IRS Form W-7 Application for ITIN, for my minor step-daughter, who is here on a K-4, so I may attach it to my Form 1040 for TY 2008. I applied for one of these for my wife two years ago, soon after we were married in China;therefore, she already has her ITIN, which was used on my 2006 and 2007 joint tax returns.

Therefore, as an FYI for those who may be in the same situation, be it for a spouse or dependent child, here is the IRS link for a printable Form W-7, in the most recent revision, Feb. 2008.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

Normally, the W-7 form is submitted along with the tax return to the specialized ITIN center in Austin, TX. The center will issue the ITIN and then process the current year tax return at that center; you do not forward another (duplicate) copy to your normal regional IRS return center.

As a side note, I will be filing the necessary paperwork for their AOS and green cards, soon after the first of the new year, as we will be married two years in early December.

I have held off filing for AOS since their arrival in mid-June, so that we may be considered for the ten year, permanent green cards for Lao Po and daughter, with the two year mark of marriage having been reached next month.

One note: I assume you plan on filing for adjustment of status soon, when you do, file for EAD for both mother and step daughter, using the EADs you can apply for SSN.

You can file AOS at any time now, because your second wedding anniversary is coming up next month, so AOS will be approved well after 2nd wedding anniversary, and will result in UN-Conditional 10 year cards.