Telegraphic Code

Hi all,

Things are getting close and I know we have addressed this before but I have two questions about the DS-156 form.

Question one:.....I know it is to be in duplicate but Is the DS-156 to be filled out in English and will they accept the ones that are electronically generated on the Gov. web site??? should we fill ones out in English and Chinese??

Question 2: What about telegraphic code???

on the Letter to K3/k4 they say "DS-156 form with original signatures

(with Chinese name and telegraphic code)...I know we have gone over telegraphic code but is it need or not??? And does this mean the Chinese name in telegraphic code??

Tom and Ling

For DS-156 we did just the English one. The med center has been instructed to accept the online version, also insist on the barcode page being included in the package.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=20926&hl=

When in china for our K-1 I asked counselor officer about the English and Chinese forms, and the standard is to do the Chinese ones only if English is not easily understood by the person filling out the forms.

As for telegraphic code. http://www.njstar.com/tools/telecode/index.php (Enter Chinese Characters for Name, get the numbers) Chinese Name in the code, it is so that the consulate knows exactly which characters are used in the name, so that no mistake is made with name.

The code is also in a book at China Post office.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

For DS-156 we did just the English one. The med center has been instructed to accept the online version, also insist on the barcode page being included in the package.

When in china for our K-1 I asked counselor officer about the English and Chinese forms, and the standard is to do the Chinese ones only if English is not easily understood by the person filling out the forms.

As for telegraphic code. http://www.njstar.com/tools/telecode/index.php (Enter Chinese Characters for Name, get the numbers) Chinese Name in the code, it is so that the consulate knows exactly which characters are used in the name, so that no mistake is made with name.

Hi dnoblett,

I take it that one signs one's signature in Chinese and than beside the signature, you write down the telegraphic code...Is that correct??

Tom and Ling

Hi dnoblett,

I take it that one signs one's signature in Chinese and than beside the signature, you write down the telegraphic code...Is that correct??

Tom and Ling

Yep, But I believe it is the GIV-24 that asks for the telegraphic code, the DS-156 does not.

Hi dnoblett,

Tom and Ling

Yep, But I believe it is the GIV-24 that asks for the telegraphic code, the DS-156 does not.

Hi dnoblett,

Actually, in the K3/K4 letter of instructions it says Telegraphic code out beside the DS-156, is it also required some where in the GIV-24 too??

Tom and Ling

Hi dnoblett,

Actually, in the K3/K4 letter of instructions it says Telegraphic code out beside the DS-156, is it also required some where in the GIV-24 too??

Tom and Ling

They may have changed the GIV-24 since we used it, but it use to be the form that asked for the telegraphic code.

But if GUZ instructs you to place the code, It can be written next to beneficiary's name next to signature, or at the top of the form next to printed name (Line 6 or 7)

Hi All,

Also what am I suppose to use??

The CCC/CTC number or the Unicode Hex number??

What I got was:

Chinese CCC/CTC Unicode Hex

·½ 2455 65B9

Áá 3781 73B2

ÊÕ 2392 6536

Ling's name is ·½ Áá ÊÕ

So (I hope I am not bothering everybody) but how should it be arranged?? Use only CCC number or Hex number,, and how should it Look??

Tom and Ling

Edited by Tom and Ling (see edit history)

Hi All,

What I got was:

方 2455 65B9

玲 3781 73B2

收 2392 6536

Ling's name is 方 玲 收

So (I hope I am not bothering everybody) but how should it be arranged?? Use only CCC number or Hex number,, and how should it Look??

Tom and Ling

Base 10 (CTC)

方 2455 玲 3781 收 2392 Just the numbers are fine 2455 3781 2392

Hi All,

What I got was:

·½ 2455 65B9

Áá 3781 73B2

ÊÕ 2392 6536

Ling's name is ·½ Áá ÊÕ

Tom and Ling

Base 10 (CTC)

·½ 2455 Áá 3781 ÊÕ 2392 Just the numbers are fine 2455 3781 2392

Hi dnoblett,

Ok let me get this straight...It should appear as a Chinese cheracter than a number than a Chinese Character and a number and so on until the name is complete??

Or ·½ Áá ÊÕ the Chinese name followed by the number 2455 3781 2392 ??

What does base 10 mean??

Tom and Ling

Base 10 (CTC)

方 2455 玲 3781 收 2392 Just the numbers are fine 2455 3781 2392

Hi dnoblett,

Ok let me get this straight...It should appear as a Chinese cheracter than a number than a Chinese Character and a number and so on until the name is complete??

Or 方 玲 收 the Chinese name followed by the number 2455 3781 2392 ??

What does base 10 mean??

Tom and Ling

Name followed by the CTC numbers.

OK a bit of computer learning.

Base 2 = Binary (0 or 1)

Base 8 = Octal (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7)

Base 10 = Decimal (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) (Humans count in base 10 because most have 10 fingers or 10 toes)

Base 16 = Hexadecimal (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F)

Computers are happier with base 2, 8, or 16 because they boil down to binary (ON, OFF, 0, 1)

I am glad that you brought this up Tom. It is the first I have heard of it. :blink:

Hi Stepbrow,

I brought it up because I was reading the Instruction letter for K3/K4 and it is right on the letter....so we have talked about it before but there was disagreement as to whether the Telegraphic code was need or not...so I just had to inquire.... :P

Tom and Ling

Base 10 (CTC)

Hi dnoblett,

Or ·½ Áá ÊÕ the Chinese name followed by the number 2455 3781 2392 ??

What does base 10 mean??

Tom and Ling

Name followed by the CTC numbers.

OK a bit of computer learning.

Base 2 = Binary (0 or 1)

Base 8 = Octal (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7)

Base 10 = Decimal (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) (Humans count in base 10 because most have 10 fingers or 10 toes)

Base 16 = Hexadecimal (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F)

Computers are happier with base 2, 8, or 16 because they boil down to binary (ON, OFF, 0, 1)

Hi dnoblett,

Thanks for the Lesson...... :P :( ;) :blink: :D

Tom and Ling

Hi All,

What I got was:

·½ 2455 65B9

Áá 3781 73B2

ÊÕ 2392 6536

Ling's name is ·½ Áá ÊÕ

Tom and Ling

Base 10 (CTC)

Honestly.. i prefer check and balance.. as:

·½ 2455 Áá 3781 ÊÕ 2392