Another Name Change Question

Ok so i figured i'll go ahead and do my name change before the process begins. It'll help keep me less stressed and organized.

I found a great site ( missnowmrs.com ) but i'm getting a little worried.

Those of you that have been married in China will understand this... Our marriage lisence is in Chinese. Usually you're required to send in a copy of your marriage lisence to prove the reason for changing your name. I'm pretty sure these offices won't even be able to read it.

What do i do?? I know it's mostly guys here and you guys haven't dealt with changing your name, and it's different for the USC than it is for your chinese wife. Are there any women USCs here that have done this? or anyone that knows what i need to do?

Ok so i figured i'll go ahead and do my name change before the process begins. It'll help keep me less stressed and organized.

I found a great site ( missnowmrs.com ) but i'm getting a little worried.

Those of you that have been married in China will understand this... Our marriage lisence is in Chinese. Usually you're required to send in a copy of your marriage lisence to prove the reason for changing your name. I'm pretty sure these offices won't even be able to read it.

What do i do?? I know it's mostly guys here and you guys haven't dealt with changing your name, and it's different for the USC than it is for your chinese wife. Are there any women USCs here that have done this? or anyone that knows what i need to do?

You should have an English Translation of the Marriage Cert, you need one for the visa, and should have extra copies with translations for future uses.

Typically name change starts with SSA, visit SSA office and order a replacement SSN card with married name, then visit DMV and change name there, lastly you could renew passport using married name, followed up with banks, credit cards, etc..

You can legally change your name at the county courthouse.

Once you have the name change in affect, you can then go about the 'change of name' on all other entities that issue you ID.

SSA, Drivers License, Passport, etc.

BUT.

I suggest you don't change yer name until he arrives. Since married couples in china don't 'shift family names', its really odd for them to 'hang' another last name in an official document.

PS - tell your husband to go to the local notary office, and have his marriage book translated into english, notarized, and sent to you in the usa.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

You begin with a translation of your marriage book, if he has it this can be done at the Notary Office in China, get a few copies(3). If you have it then the rule according to USCIS is: A competent translator must certify the translation and swear to the accuracy of the document before a notary public.

Then you begin with SSA and DMV in that order. For the visa process renewing your passport finishes the official process, make a complete photo copy of your passport before sending it off and have it notarized as a TRUE COPY. They will return your old passport, but the copy is your security blanket in case they screw up.

Then you get to change your bank account, credit cards, utility bills and subscriptions.

There is no need or requirement to change your name at the court house due to a marriage and besides that cost you legal fees which are an unnecessary expense.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

You should have an English Translation of the Marriage Cert, you need one for the visa, and should have extra copies with translations for future uses.

Typically name change starts with SSA, visit SSA office and order a replacement SSN card with married name, then visit DMV and change name there, lastly you could renew passport using married name, followed up with banks, credit cards, etc..

Actually with a site like what I found they send you all the papers to fill out and where to send them. It's easier than doing it one by one and going to each place.

You can legally change your name at the county courthouse.

Once you have the name change in affect, you can then go about the 'change of name' on all other entities that issue you ID.

SSA, Drivers License, Passport, etc.

BUT.

I suggest you don't change yer name until he arrives. Since married couples in china don't 'shift family names', its really odd for them to 'hang' another last name in an official document.

PS - tell your husband to go to the local notary office, and have his marriage book translated into english, notarized, and sent to you in the usa.

Yeh that website has a package you order for everything. I was just needing to know what to do about a lisence that's in chinese.

My husband actually understands the changing name thing in America and he and his family love the idea. Our family and friends in China get a kick out of calling me "Mrs. Ding". Also as i said in my other post out of a mix of not being all that fond of my father, and having a very famous character sharing my last name is causing me quite a bit of greif. Once i explained the name change, my chinese family really embraced it.

PS- We both were given marriage books. Can't I just get mine translated? The only difference in our books is just who's name is on the top of "page 1" and "page 2" contains the same info.

You begin with a translation of your marriage book, if he has it this can be done at the Notary Office in China, get a few copies(3). If you have it then the rule according to USCIS is: A competent translator must certify the translation and swear to the accuracy of the document before a notary public.

Then you begin with SSA and DMV in that order. For the visa process renewing your passport finishes the official process, make a complete photo copy of your passport before sending it off and have it notarized as a TRUE COPY. They will return your old passport, but the copy is your security blanket in case they screw up.

Then you get to change your bank account, credit cards, utility bills and subscriptions.

There is no need or requirement to change your name at the court house due to a marriage and besides that cost you legal fees which are an unnecessary expense.

We both have a marriage book. So couldn't i just get mine translated and notarized? Getting it translated and sworn wouldn't be hard since there are a LOT of chinese in my city and there's a lot of language teachers.

The website i found is a packet that a lot of my friends have used. It's got all the forms and instructions on what to send, when etc etc.

and yeh I mean when i called the courthouse the woman was actually really sweet and said "Honey just go with a service website, it'll save you money"

We both have a marriage book. So couldn't i just get mine translated and notarized? Getting it translated and sworn wouldn't be hard since there are a LOT of chinese in my city and there's a lot of language teachers.

The website i found is a packet that a lot of my friends have used. It's got all the forms and instructions on what to send, when etc etc.

and yeh I mean when i called the courthouse the woman was actually really sweet and said "Honey just go with a service website, it'll save you money"

Getting your marriage book translated should do the trick.

I wasn't aware of sites that helped with the name change as most of us are on the other side of the equation and have the added joy of getting the name change accepted by USCIS before the other agencies will make the change.

Getting your marriage book translated should do the trick.

I wasn't aware of sites that helped with the name change as most of us are on the other side of the equation and have the added joy of getting the name change accepted by USCIS before the other agencies will make the change.

Ok, i'll check with one of my friends to get it translated.

and haha, it's ok. The guy side of it is diff lol. There's lots of websites that sell packettes for name changes. It's all the forms you need as well as ful instructions and fees. Thankfully isn't only like $30 to get EVERYTHING. Which when you fully change your name in the US there's a loooot of paperwork. There's like Social Security, IRS, Passport, Postal Service, Driver's License, Voter Registration, then banks, cards, any bill at all.

I had to change my name once before (stepfather) so i'm used ot the process. It's just still a hassle

Lauren -

1. translation and notarization of your marriage book in the usa - find a competent translator who also has a state notary license. Those are acceptable in USCIS eyes.

2. really - once you get the name change from the county court in your area - you only are required to notify all of those entities with a LETTER and a COPY of the court ordered name change. SSA requires a form, and thats it.

Using a web portal, sure, pay some money, get some formletters and forms, but each entity will only require a letter and a copy of the court-ordered name change.

Lauren -

1. translation and notarization of your marriage book in the usa - find a competent translator who also has a state notary license. Those are acceptable in USCIS eyes.

2. really - once you get the name change from the county court in your area - you only are required to notify all of those entities with a LETTER and a COPY of the court ordered name change. SSA requires a form, and thats it.

Using a web portal, sure, pay some money, get some formletters and forms, but each entity will only require a letter and a copy of the court-ordered name change.

1- there's a lot of those in my area actually, so it's not a problem

2- the site actually have a pack of every form, each instruction as well as address etc etc. It's not a bad deal to get everything i need to handle stuff

Lauren -

It's more than slightly difficult for a Notary to accept a sworn statement from themself and in most locations it's considered invalid.