Soo...

It's LA back again with another question lol. I'll try to keep it non-novel form this time lol

Is it allowable for me to change my last name during the K3 process (or before we begin)?

My family's very old fashion, they expected me to change my last name the say it happened. I convinced them that i kinda needed to haev the same name as my passport to come home lol.

I was just wondering if it will be OK to do, or when should I do it? I have a few factors(aside from my family) that make me want to do ti as soon as possible. (my father >.<, and having the same last name as a popular character which has lead to interesting harassment lately)

Thanks in advance

Hi LaurenAmber,

As far as my wife is concerned,,she is keeping her name until she gets to the USA, and than if she wants to take my last name ...than she can.

I think, however, you need to do the name change before you submit any petitions because this allows for consistence through out the Visa process. So " In my opinion only" if you are going to do a name change do it before the Visa process begins.

Maybe somebody else can chime in on any difficulties...with changing ones name and the Chinese House hold book..etc, etc??

Tom and Ling

US citizen changing name or foreign citizen??

From your handle it looks like you are the wife and are US Citizen, and your husband is Chinese, if so, yes you can change name, just take care of passport name change after you get back home in the USA, or perhaps at a US consulate in China before coming home.

If wife is Chinese and husband is American, then if wife wants to take family name, can do it and get passport amended with married name before visa interview.

Lastly forget the K-3 and consider the CR-1, you will be happier for it.

For China CR-1 takes about 1 month longer to get.

CR-1 has the big benefit of GREEN-CARD upon entry, NO ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS. K-3 CANNOT get SSN, WORK, or Get driver's license until they have EAD or Green-card, EAD can take 90 days or MORE to get.

K-3:

I-130: $355

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131

AOS: $1010

($1496)

CR-1

I-130: $355

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I an stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant.

Examples of K-3 Headaches:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=32546&hl= (PAIN getting K-3 EAD to work get SSN, etc...)

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=33260&hl= (DMV hassels... NO SSN and EAD = NO DL)

Since you are the US citizen you would change your name the same as any other American woman would when she gets married. I don't see how it would affect your husband's visa. It would be much easier to do when you get back to the states. I believe you need to go to the Social Security office with a copy of your marriage certificate then the DMV to change your DL/ID card and go to the passport office.

Thanks guys. I didn't think there would be a problem with me changing my name. I just didn't know how much of a hassle it would be during the paperwork process. But it seems like everything will be fine.

And a definite WOW to the info about the CR-1. I'll be combining that with the attorney info i gained from my last post.

I'm sitting here in the Xiamen airport right now about to head back to America. I'll be honest, i'm on the brink of tears. I feel like i'm about to fall apart with the combo of leaving my husband and the stress of this we're about to undergo.

It really does make me feel so better to have you guys to talk to and to help me.

You're all so wonderful. Thank you.