Online School

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

One of the many things that concerned me before moving to China, was how I would help my Chinese daughter finish her High School diploma. We looked at several options, but many of these were prohibitively expensive. For example, there are a few high schools in larger cities, including mine, that are staffed by Westerners, for Westerners. Some of the prices for these schools were in the $10,000 to $30,000 a year range.

These prices started us looking at the online school alternatives in the US. Several weeks back, I had my daughter start a research project to begin looking at online schools and cataloging her results. She did a great job in coming up with the history, and provided me with five good schools to look at. After looking over her results, we settled on one of the schools. It is fully accredited and provides a comprehensive lesson plan.

Additionally, my wife and I signed in for our first parent teacher meeting last week. These meetings are conducted online, and everyone has the ability to ask questions either by typing, or speaking. I was impressed at the level of participation, with parents from all over the world including the US. I must say now, that if I were back in the US, that all of us would likely choose this option.

Sarah is very focused, and works hard or her classes daily. Her current curriculum is:

Calculus

American Government

Health

Multimedia

Chemistry

English Composition / Grammar

Guest ShaQuaNew

Thanks for sharing your research. It sounds good. I have taken online courses at the college level. If you put in the effort, you learn just as much as being in the classroom.

Many of these online schools claim their students do better in tests and college placement. When Lan and Sarah first came to the US, I was living in a community that had one of the more troubled schools in the Orlando district. We decided to move to another location, that was safer, and had better schools. Sarah ended up making it to the honor rolls there.

In looking back now, I wish I had looked more deeply into home schooling. I presents an alternative when moving may not be an option.