Catch-22 on name changing

My wife uses an English "nic" name because her given name is difficult for us westerners to pronounce.

Same reason why my fiancee wants to stick with the English first name. Does not pronounce as you would think looking at the pinyin, plus the tones are difficult even when you know how it should be pronounced.

Maybe we will go the nickname route afterall, and wait until the citizenship step.

she can be called any name she like, but on all paper work , catch 21,all have to match the passport ,my wife do not use her chinese name , only on paperwork , my family cannot pronounce her chinese name,she only use her chinese name on paperwork, at the collage she attend,people will call you anything you like , real world

I've not heard of a fast and easy way to change the first name... I think it can take a court request to do so.

Why not just give an immigration lawyer a call and ask at which step are you able to do this easily.

Yep, family name is easy, given name tends to be a legal process.

My wife uses an English "nic" name because her given name is difficult for us westerners to pronounce.

she can be called any name she like, but on all paper work , catch 21,all have to match the passport ,my wife do not use her chinese name , only on paperwork , my family cannot pronounce her chinese name,she only use her chinese name on paperwork, at the collage she attend,people will call you anything you like , real world

It is our experience that the given name can be changed easily, without involving a lawyer, and that the primary name on immigration paperwork does not have to match the Chinese passport.

An early and easy time to change given name, family name, whatever, is when you file the I-485 for the first Green Card.

Simply file the I-485 with the desired name as the applicant's name. Include her "old name" in Part 3 as the name on the I-94. On the G-325A file the desired name as the name and then in the box underneath indicate the "old name" in the All Other Names Used section.

I also recommend including a Common Law Name Change declaration along with your filing; not necessary to notarize this form or have it sworn. The following is a suggested format:

I, the undersigned, declare that I am 18 years of age or older and further declare:

1. I, (new name), was born (old name), in (city, country) on (birth date).

2. I HEREBY DECLARE my intent to change my legal name, and be henceforth exclusively known as (new name).

3. I, the undersigned, wish to have my Registration as a Permanent Resident of the United States issued in the name of (new name).

4. I further declare that I have no intention of defrauding any person or escaping any obligation I may presently have by this act.

5. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN to all agencies of the State of XXX, all agencies of the Federal Government, all creditors and all private persons, groups, businesses, corporations and associations of said legal name change.

I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of XXX that the foregoing is true and correct.

Date

New Signature

Old Signature

Common law name change is recognized by the Federal Government. It is also accepted by some, but not all, states. I don't believe that the state position will make much of a difference in most cases as once you get a Green Card in the desired name you can use it to apply for your state driver's license, which will also use the desired name.

If you ask a lawyer about this she may give you a bunch or reasons why it is "better" or "necessary" to do a court procedure. You can be your own judge ... $$$.

To complete the process then get an endorsement in the Chinese passport that says "Old Name is also known as New Name". This can be done at a Chinese consulate.

Couldn't be easier ... worked for us.

As others have pointed out there is also a relatively easy way to change names when you become a citizen.

Edited by jim_julian (see edit history)