If you get married in China

After reading the information on the GuangZhou and Houston Chinese Consulate sites my SO and I are not in agreement on our individual interpretations.

After getting all my paperwork todgether, single affidavit, divorce papers, passport and Chinese Visa. Is it absolutely necessary when I go to China to get married that we both have to go a Consulate (probably Shanghi) and fill out a "Certificate of Marriageability" in front of an officer?

Is this something relatively new? When I got married before in Nanjing in 2005 we did not have to do this! If I remember they didn't even ask to see my documents then. All they needed was my passport and the money! I guess I had the easy route that time!

I would appreciate a response from anyone who has done this or knows the facts unlike we do.

Thank you very much!

No, only US citizen needs to get that cert from the US consulate.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/in...d_in_china.html

http://shanghai.usembassy-china.org.cn/mar...e_in_china.html

Chinese citizen get theirs at the Notary office having jurisdiction over their residence.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I didn't get a Marriageability Affidavit when I married in China in 2002. We just showed up at the local marriage office and some lady typed out the little red book thingys and that was it. I guess these things are handled however the authorities see fit but it wouldn't hurt to have one on hand. Better safe than sorry!... :lol:

I didn't get a Marriageability Affidavit when I married in China in 2002. We just showed up at the local marriage office and some lady typed out the little red book thingys and that was it. I guess these things are handled however the authorities see fit but it wouldn't hurt to have one on hand. Better safe than sorry!... :lol:

When I married last year, I had to go to Shaghai to get a certificate of mariageability. I returned to Wuhan, and then had to have the document translated into Chinese (through an official English / Chinese translation agency in Wuhan), and then I could get a marriage license in Wuhan. So the certificate of marriageability would probably be a two step process --- first get the certificate, then get the certificate translated into Chinese.