how much to give to the girl's parents?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

Isay give them everything you own. :ph34r:

Honestly, this is exactly what you should do; certainly opening yourself up to help when you can, and receive it also. Marrying into a Chinese family actually makes you a REAL part of the family. If there is some expectation that you should give money to the family, just talk it over with your wife or partner.

my family would not ask western man for this as your are not chinese.

Actually, i am chinese-american. Growing up in the San Francisco/Bay Area, I'm not aware of all the traditional mainland customs.

But this money is not the bride price, it's gratitude for her parents raising her all these years.

hi,

I've talked to a few people regarding how much is a good amount to give the girl's parents as gratitude for raising her all these years, and everyone gives a different answer.

Oringally, i thought 20,000RMB would be a good amount, but since I'll be taking their daughter from Shanghai, is 40-50,000RMB too little? It's a touchy subject and I thought I'd seek advice from the wise folks on this board. If I give too little, I dont want to feel like I'm disrespecting them, and if I give too much, I'll be hurting to pay the bills.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Don

I have also heard the 20,000rmb figure.

My wife was previously married and divorced,so I dont think her parents gave the money back to her ex when they got divorced.