need help please

If you are installing a current version, you don't need to do anything special. The fonts to display Chinese are built in. However if you want the menus and such in Chinese you need to take extra steps.

i need to type them, to be able to switch back and forth from Chinese to Japanese to Romanization.

If you are installing a current version, you don't need to do anything special. The fonts to display Chinese are built in. However if you want the menus and such in Chinese you need to take extra steps.

what are the extra steps...??

Are you on 10.5? If so, then you just need to enable the character palettes you wish to use. Just go into System Preferences and select International.

Under Language, select Edit list, and add the languages. In the inputs menu, select the input methods you want to use.

You might also find this useful. Input methods that work more like windows.

http://openvanilla.org/

good luck.

Bill ... no need for a program to type PinYin in ... just select it as a text entry option ... it's all automatic and works everywhere you enter text.

but I think he wants it to SHOW as pinyin, and not be converted to Chinese characters.

yes exactly...

i need 3 ways to type

simplified

pinyin

english

not including katakana and hiragana for wo tai tai

Bill ... I assume you've gone to the System Preferences (under the Apple pull down) and selected the International control panel. Within that panel select Input Menu. Scroll down in the first window and select Simplified Chinese (or Traditional) and then select ITABC and one or both of the Wubi's.

Most importantly check the box at the bottom of the control panel that states "Show input in menu bar". This will put a little flag menu in the menu bar that allows you to flip between English text entry and Chinese text entry,

ºÃÔË

Here is the trick to entering in Pinyin with the accent marks.

Activate the "US Extended" keyboard in System Preferences and then do:

Option-a and then <vowel> to create the first tones: ¨¡, ¨¥, ¨©, ¨­, ¨±

Option-e and then <vowel> to create the second tones: ¨¢, ¨¦, ¨ª, ¨®, ¨²

Option-v and then <vowel> to create the third tone: ¨£, ¨§, ¨«, ¨¯, ¨³

Option-` and then <vowel> to create the fourth tone: ¨¤, ¨¨, ¨¬, ¨°, ¨´

u and then Shift-Option-u and then Shift-Option-<a, e, v or `> gives ¨µ, ¨¶, ¨· or ¨¸.

v may be entered as a <vowel> to produce a ¨¹. For instance, Option-e v produces ¨¶. Option-u u produces a ¨¹ without tone marks.

Edited by timb (see edit history)