I have a question regarding my father's I-864...

He filed taxes jointly with my mother. Will they need to sign together at the bottom of the form?

I have one other question...does her name need to be on #24 along with her income? She will not be filling out an I-864a because she did not file her taxes seperately.

Thanks for the help!

He filed taxes jointly with my mother. Will they need to sign together at the bottom of the form?

I have one other question...does her name need to be on #24 along with her income? She will not be filling out an I-864a because she did not file her taxes seperately.

Thanks for the help!

No - you need to break out their income separately (assuming she doesn't want to sign.

The best way to do this is by including the W-2's.

Thanks for the help!

No - you need to break out their income separately (assuming she doesn't want to sign.

The best way to do this is by including the W-2's.

If she does want to sign, would it be helpful though? I didn't see anything on the I-864 about it being signed by both the husband and wife.

Question, Where are you in the immigrations process?

I-864 and I-864A are used for Immigrant CR-1 and IR-1 visas or when Adjusting status from a NON-Immigrant K-Visa.

If you are talking about K-Visa interview, you and your co-sponsor will be using I-134.

OK I see your signature, so yes you will be using I-864, I-864A

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

If she does want to sign, would it be helpful though? I didn't see anything on the I-864 about it being signed by both the husband and wife.

Yes, I believe so. Someone suggested that Affidavits of Support from family members carry additional weight, as they show support from the immediate family for the marriage.

• 8 months later...

I-864 and I-864A are used for Immigrant CR-1 and IR-1 visas or when Adjusting status from a NON-Immigrant K-Visa.

If you are talking about K-Visa interview, you and your co-sponsor will be using I-134.

I got this from another website and I am just checking:

The US fiance is ALWAYS the primary sponsor, but may have a co-sponsor. If there is a co-sponsor, both the US fiance and the co-sponsor will EACH have to fill out the affidavit I-134 or I-864 and EACH will have to provide supporting documentation.

1. Both me and the co-sponsor has to fill out the separate I-864. Sadly I don't make 125% of the poverty level ?

2. Is there a section on the I-864 to determine who is the co-sponsor ?

3. After the I-130, it's DS-230 and I864 ? I got the NOA1 and NOA2. Sent in bills for I-864 and DS-230 last month.

Thanks....

Edited by William Lee (see edit history)

I got this from another website and I am just checking:

The US fiance is ALWAYS the primary sponsor, but may have a co-sponsor. If there is a co-sponsor, both the US fiance and the co-sponsor will EACH have to fill out the affidavit I-134 or I-864 and EACH will have to provide supporting documentation.

1. Both me and the co-sponsor has to fill out the separate I-864. Sadly I don't make 125% of the poverty level ?

2. Is there a section on the I-864 to determine who is the co-sponsor ?

3. After the I-130, it's DS-230 and I864 ? I got the NOA1 and NOA2. Sent in bills for I-864 and DS-230 last month.

Thanks....

1. Yes both primary sponsor and joint sponsor fill out separate I-864.

2. Yes there is a section on form I-864 that indicates that is being used by a joint sponsor. (Part 1 box (D ))

3. Correct, however DS-230 should also have foreign docs like police cert, marriage cert, divorce cert, etc.. attached.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

let's sort this out clearly...

Your father fills out the I-864 with evidence; as Randy said, separate out by W-2 is a good way if possible. Only his signature.

If mom wants to help out, she fills out an I-864a, as a household member of the joint sponsor (your father). She should have separate evidence for this and she alone signs.

I-864 on Part 3 Note: The other sponsor is not living with me and I am the primary sponsor.

8. ? "I am sponsoring the principal immigrant named in Part 2 above.

? Yes ? NO ( Applicable only on cases with two joint sponsors. )

==================================================

For 8, "X" "I am sponsoring the..................in part 2 above" Then

"X" "YES" and the leave blank for NO ( Appicable only in case with two joint sponsors. )

Then other sponsor's I-864 would check

For 8 "X" "I am sponsoring the ..............in part 2 above" Then

"Yes" blank and check "NO" ( Appicable only in case with two joint sponsors. )

I am just double check if this is correct thanks.....

A little confusing ....

Edited by William Lee (see edit history)