2 weeks in america

I couldn't find right forum, so move as applicable.

My wife and daughter arrived in America 8-8-08, yes we tivo'd the opening ceremony for them :blink:. We were CR/1 process.

I couldn't be happier with the decision to go CR/1.

Our first week was interesting, my wife wanted to look for a job within days. Because she was CR/1 she could, but I couldn't adjust to everything fast enough, so I ask her to wait.

I had bought an electric bike before she arrived and a gps. The gps is worthless because she doesn't have the patience to learn to use it, but the bike is great.

By day 3, my wife knew the way to and from the asian grocery store, and rapidly expanded her knowledge of the area from there.

We repainted my daughters room pink, and bought her furniture.

She hasn't used that room yet though because it has paint fumes, and everyone knows paint fumes cause cancer. It is almost aired out though, so soon I expect she will move into it.

We went to the dentist, and we have about 4 follow-up visits coming. Seems the recent addition of the junk food to the Chinese diet is also spreading tooth decay to their country.

Signed daughter up for high school. That was not too difficult, except we only had the most recent years school grades translated. We have to go get her previous 2 years transcripts next time we are back, but for now they accepted my wifes translation (we had the other grades, only in chinese).

They were bored at home, so I got them both a texas drivers handbook to study.

Their green cards arrived in the mail on 8-19 so we went to the social security office on 8-20. It was a 2 hour wait, but the man was friendly, put everything into the computer, and said we should all have our social security cards in 2 weeks (I got a replacement while we were there too).

There were a few adjustment discussions with my new daughter, but I am a hard headed dad, so that was probably expected.

Each day now I go home for lunch, and enjoy time with my family.

Today my wife had an application from the grocery store filled out (for temporary work).

We continue to try to find her a profitable full time job in her area of expertise.

All in all, fairly boring normal family life.

I am happy, my family is happy. now .. off to mow the lawn :blink:

zai jian all !

Guest lilac6451

I couldn't find right forum, so move as applicable.

My wife and daughter arrived in America 8-8-08, yes we tivo'd the opening ceremony for them :blink:. We were CR/1 process.

I couldn't be happier with the decision to go CR/1.

Our first week was interesting, my wife wanted to look for a job within days. Because she was CR/1 she could, but I couldn't adjust to everything fast enough, so I ask her to wait.

I had bought an electric bike before she arrived and a gps. The gps is worthless because she doesn't have the patience to learn to use it, but the bike is great.

By day 3, my wife knew the way to and from the asian grocery store, and rapidly expanded her knowledge of the area from there.

We repainted my daughters room pink, and bought her furniture.

She hasn't used that room yet though because it has paint fumes, and everyone knows paint fumes cause cancer. It is almost aired out though, so soon I expect she will move into it.

We went to the dentist, and we have about 4 follow-up visits coming. Seems the recent addition of the junk food to the Chinese diet is also spreading tooth decay to their country.

Signed daughter up for high school. That was not too difficult, except we only had the most recent years school grades translated. We have to go get her previous 2 years transcripts next time we are back, but for now they accepted my wifes translation (we had the other grades, only in chinese).

They were bored at home, so I got them both a texas drivers handbook to study.

Their green cards arrived in the mail on 8-19 so we went to the social security office on 8-20. It was a 2 hour wait, but the man was friendly, put everything into the computer, and said we should all have our social security cards in 2 weeks (I got a replacement while we were there too).

There were a few adjustment discussions with my new daughter, but I am a hard headed dad, so that was probably expected.

Each day now I go home for lunch, and enjoy time with my family.

Today my wife had an application from the grocery store filled out (for temporary work).

We continue to try to find her a profitable full time job in her area of expertise.

All in all, fairly boring normal family life.

I am happy, my family is happy. now .. off to mow the lawn :blink:

zai jian all !

Wow, your wife and her daughter came to America on a lucky day, which will bring your family lucky all the time...congratulations..