No I-94 on passport

I am stuck and do not know what to do. As I understand it, the I-94 is some kind of small card that is attached to the passport when entering the US, and it has a number on it. I need that number for filling out the I-765. This form also gives you the opportunity to use the "A-number" instead, but somehow a whole lot of my papers got thrown away and I do not have the NOA2 which would have had the A-number. Ping's passport does not have an I-94 or anything else attached to it, it just has the visa inside, of course. And I do not have the NOA2 which is now lost. Anyone have an idea how I could find out one of these numbers? :)

The I-94 is the card form that your wife received on the airplane. She must still have it somewhere, because she needed that to get through the POE BCIS agent.

and it must be returned upon exiting the U.S to show a visa was not overstayed and that an earlier entry record matches an exit ( I-94 surrender )

I-94 is usually removed by airline personnel when exiting the U.S

It is an important piece of entry/exit control paper, especially since 9/11

Usually, POE staples it to the passport, so I am surprised it's not there. Perhaps you removed it to make a copy and filed it somewhere else.