Hey all...me again biggrin.gif

I see that there is a Form I-864A too??!! What the heck is that for?

Ok...I know what it is (I actually CAN read wink.gif), but I am not sure if I will need to use it.

Basically, my dad AND stepmom are going to be joint sponsors. Does my dad fill out the I-864 since he is the primary joint sponsor, and my stepmom use the I-864A because she is a household member? Or....do they both use the I-864 forms?

I mean...I realize that I am a natural blonde, but I am a fairly intelligent person and.....some of this stuff is SO CONFUSING!!
It makes me kind of scared because I know that where I am in the process now is easy compared to what we will have to go through later. blink.gif

I-864A is only used for situations where a sponsor or joint-sponsor is using a member of their family to add income or assets to help bring the sponsor or joint sponsor up to 125% poverty line, in order to be a sponsor or joint sponsor. OR in certain cases the intending immigrant can provide an I-864A along with Spouse/Sponsor when adjusting status.

One example:

A spouse enters the USA on a K-3 visa, they then apply for EAD and pay the $340 fee for it, once they get EAD, they apply for SSN, and then get a JOB. The K-3 spouse can at this point provide an I-864A along with their US Citizen/Spouse/Sponsor's I-864 when adjusting status.

Another example:

A joint sponsor wishes to include their spouse's income. The Joint sponsor provides an I-864, and their spouse provides and I-864A. The US citizen spouse of the intending immigrant still provides an I-864 as PRIMARY sponsor.

OR perhaps:

US citizen spouse has a working son or daughter still a member of household. The working son/daughter can provide an I-864A as member of household, and provide additional support to the US citizen/Spouse/PRIMARY sponsor.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

since your K1, this form wouldn't even come up for consideration until your SO adjust status in the US...

here is the form in case you want to see it:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864A.pdf

Correct, for K-Visa interview at the consulate the form is I-134.

Petitioner provides one, and if using a co-sponsor, the co-sponsor will also provide one.

Other Immigrant Categories - When an I-134 May be Needed

Do applicants who are applying for an immigrant visa in a visa category that does not require the I-864 Affidavit of Support, such as the diversity immigrant visa, need to meet the public charge provisions of Section 213A of the INA?

Consular officers will review immigrant visa applicants whose visa categories do not require the I-864 under the public charge guidelines in Section 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The applicants must show that they will not become a public charge. A consular officer may ask for an Affidavit of Support, Form I-134 and supporting documents. The sponsor will need to show income at 100 percent of the federal poverty guidelines for household size, not the 125 percent required under Section 213A of the INA.

Should K-1 fianc¨¦(e) visa applicants use the I-864 or the I-134?

Since fianc¨¦(e)s are nonimmigrant visa applicants, they should use the I-134. They will need to submit an I-864 to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) when they adjust status to conditional immigrant in the United States after they are married.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

Hey all...me again :(

I see that there is a Form I-864A too??!! What the heck is that for?

Ok...I know what it is (I actually CAN read :(), but I am not sure if I will need to use it.

Basically, my dad AND stepmom are going to be joint sponsors. Does my dad fill out the I-864 since he is the primary joint sponsor, and my stepmom use the I-864A because she is a household member? Or....do they both use the I-864 forms?

I mean...I realize that I am a natural blonde, but I am a fairly intelligent person and.....some of this stuff is SO CONFUSING!!

It makes me kind of scared because I know that where I am in the process now is easy compared to what we will have to go through later. :rolleyes:

Hi Red,

Here is a link for you to do some research. This process is complicated, but if you take it a step at a time you can handle it. This link will teach you the basics of the K-1 visa: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_2994.html

Like the guys said don't worry about the I-864 for now. It is something that you will deal with AFTER you fiance is here, and you are married.

If you feel like you are ready to learn some more, here is another link:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

Good hunting. Keep us informed.