Unmarried sons or daughters over 21

Now that my wife is a US citizen she wants to file the I-130 to bring her 25 yr old son over. I've read the instructions for the I-130 and the only thing it mentions is a notatorial translated birth certificate. Is that all we actually need?

Now that my wife is a US citizen she wants to file the I-130 to bring her 25 yr old son over. I've read the instructions for the I-130 and the only thing it mentions is a notatorial translated birth certificate. Is that all we actually need?

I heard that this could take 10 or more years. Is this true?

Ken88

Ken88

Not that long for unmaried children of US citizens they are F1

F1 cases filed Mar 02 being now issued numbers.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_4310.html

If son or daughter gets married this changes priority to F3, petitions filed June 00 are being issued numbers.

NOTE: Wife could have filed I-130 as soon as she got green-card a few years ago, this would have been classified as F2B and would have been on hold for a visa number, and once wife became citizen, you could contacted NVC and got case upgraded to F1 class, and perhaps got a 3-4 year jump on the waiting line.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Ken88

Not that long for unmaried children of US citizens they are F1

F1 cases filed Mar 02 being now issued numbers.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_4310.html

If son or daughter gets married this changes priority to F3, petitions filed June 00 are being issued numbers.

NOTE: Wife could have filed I-130 as soon as she got green-card a few years ago, this would have been classified as F2B and would have been on hold for a visa number, and once wife became citizen, you could contacted NVC and got case upgraded to F1 class, and perhaps got a 3-4 year jump on the waiting line.

Great information Dan ! Thanks

Ken88

Hi All,

For a US Citizen filing for a married or unmarried son or daughter over 21 years old...The Vermont Service Center is processing July and June 2006.

So, it doesn't appear that long.

Tom and Ling

Yes, but it will then sit at NVC until a visa number is assigned to the case, so that is where cases filed Mar 02 comes in per DOS visa bulletin.

USCIS knows the cases have to wait at NVC for visa numbers, so they assign a low priority to I-130 cases filed for relatives that would NOT get an immediate visa number like persons that fall under the unlimited (IR) visa class like a spouse, parent, or child under age 18.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)