Vaccination for I-693

I-693 FAQ:

this is from CFL FAQ's we filed after 1 year

also I read somewhere that she would need a booster two months after the original immunizations

¡°If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon.¡±

I think the immunizations are going to depend on what you can document has been done previously. For example if she had the primary series of DTP as a child then it is just a matter of getting the every 10 year booster. If you can't document a primary series then she may need 3 shots separated by 2 to 6 months. Same for polio. That they require HIB is a little strange because the susceptibility to severe invasive HIB passes around age 5 and we don't usually vaccinate for HIB if you're past 5. Hep B can be done in a 3 shot or 2 shot protocol if you've never had it before.

So I think they'll be looking for where each person is as far as immunizations. It is conceivable then that one person might just need a single booster shot and nothing else for 10 years, while another with no previous immunizations documented would be noted to need several shots at the first physical and then noted to need the next set if they were reviewed again in a year.

Yes, our lawyer said that the law has changed, now that they require the medical exam be done by a civil surgeon in the U.S., don't count the record from China anymore. That's why I had to do the medical exam all over again in Chinatown. But some of the immunization shots I believe are only once in a lifetime. Some have time limits, I remember my civil surgeon looked at the date of my last shot for some immunization and said "you're lucky, just right before the 10 (or 5 I forgot) year limit, don't need to take it again this time." I think the reason your wife needs to do everything all over again is that she didn't have to do them in the U.S. when you filed AOS

I don't think this is accurate. The instructions for the I-693 on the USCIS website have a FAQ which states the following:

What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical exam overseas?

If you were admitted as a:

A. K-1 fianc¨¦¡¯(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fianc¨¦¡¯(e) or as a

B. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a US citizen and

C.You received a medical examination prior to admission, then-

a.You are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination.

b.You will. However be required to complete Part 1. Information about you and submit the vaccination section of Part 2 with your adjustment of status application. A designated civil surgeon must complete the vaccination section and Part 5. the Civil Surgeon¡¯s certification

Here is the link

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-693instr.pdf

Read questions 1-3 in section III FAQ

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)
Yes, our lawyer said that the law has changed, now that they require the medical exam be done by a civil surgeon in the U.S., don't count the record from China anymore. That's why I had to do the medical exam all over again in Chinatown. But some of the immunization shots I believe are only once in a lifetime. Some have time limits, I remember my civil surgeon looked at the date of my last shot for some immunization and said "you're lucky, just right before the 10 (or 5 I forgot) year limit, don't need to take it again this time." I think the reason your wife needs to do everything all over again is that she didn't have to do them in the U.S. when you filed AOS

I don't think this is accurate. The instructions for the I-693 on the USCIS website have a FAQ which states the following:

What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical exam overseas?

B. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a US citizen and

a.You are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination.

b.You will. However be required to complete Part 1. Information about you and submit the vaccination section of Part 2 with your adjustment of status application. A designated civil surgeon must complete the vaccination section and Part 5. the Civil Surgeon¡¯s certification

Here is the link

This form, is dated June '08.

The instructions for the I-485 AOS list only the K-1 and K-2 (as not needing a new exam if the old is less than 1 year), however. This form is dated May '08.

I would say let them ask for it if they need another one.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Here is the link

Our lawyer said it is what they say on the website but his clients have encountered cases where USCIS returned their case asking for a new medical exam done by a designated civil surgeon here. when I went to the doctor, he said the same thing, cuz many things can be "fake," they don't trust the medical record from overseas anymore.

Our lawyer said it is what they say on the website but his clients have encountered cases where USCIS returned their case asking for a new medical exam done by a designated civil surgeon here. when I went to the doctor, he said the same thing, cuz many things can be "fake," they don't trust the medical record from overseas anymore.

Yes, you can spend your money upfront.

No, the USCIS will not "return your case". They can ask for anything they want, however.

I have only heard of one instance where they wanted a new medical and that was one that was close to a year old at filing. A new medical is not neccessary. Civil surgeons pull this one all the time trying to get more money out of you. I suspect your lawyer is being overly cautious.

Here is the link

That's actually what I hear too and that has caused a lot of confusion among AOS filers! Maybe we're in the middle of the switching of the policy by USCIS.

AmyAndDoug, do you mind telling us who is your lawyer and how much do they charge you for doing the AOS?

That's actually what I hear too and that has caused a lot of confusion among AOS filers! Maybe we're in the middle of the switching of the policy by USCIS.

AmyAndDoug, do you mind telling us who is your lawyer and how much do they charge you for doing the AOS?

hmm, I didn't mean "returning the case," I meant like holding it and asking for a new medical in order to process the case. Lawyer said it's new. He's an old friend of my mom's for over 10 years, wouldn't lie to us.

However, Pete, I wouldn't recommend him just because people in CFL seem to know better of the specifics of K1/K3/I-130 than he does. The other lawyer he hired to do this type of cases is on maternity leave. The main lawyer knows the more common visas well but clueless in our kinda of visas. He charged us $750 for K3 and another $750 for I-130, that is a cheap "friend price." But he really didn't do much since the I-130 lawyer went on maternity leave soon after she filed for us at the USCIS. So everything after USCIS I did myself with the help of CFL.

Pete:

Dr. George B Lin

17-23 East Broadway, Suite 301, New York, NY 10002

(212) 233-6585

Thanks AmyAndDoug. So how much is the doctor charging you for doing the complete physical + vaccination shots?

Pete - please refer to post #3 of this spread for the details of my medical at Dr. Lin's.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the info is correct on having to do them all over again, if the 'record' is not available; that is the law.

I was told this by both our personal (adult) physician and also our daughter's pediatric physician.

We were missing my daughter's immunization record, but located a backup copy at her school. This was incorporated within the new book (Yellow Book) she received at the medical exam at Shamian Is.

My daughter may still need two or three more, than what is required for immigration purposes, for our local school district in my county. The doctor has the shot records in hand and will review and advise what is still needed under California State law, for grade school admission.

And yes, the price is high on immunizations, this is not a money making deal for the doctors. They also must do an exam on new patients, due to liability laws and their insurance requirements.

We took our daughter to the pediatric physician yesterday and after reviewing the shot records from her local hospital for school in China, as well as the most recent boosters from the med facility at Shamian Island last month, she only needed two additional boosters to meet Calif state requirements for school admin. They were chicken pox, and Hep-A boosters. All others were up to date.

Also, after reviewing the Shamian Island med exam results and putting a copy in her file, he just gave her a cursory ear, eye, nose, and throat, temperature, height and weight, med exam. We were in and out in less than 30 minutes.

He said, "see you in two years."

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)