unable to get my ex-wife's social security number

I've got everything ready for the interview.. which should be in about a month or so... except my former wife's social number. I have the divorce papers. She is not trying to be difficult, but she says now with identity theft, she has been advised to not give out the number. I think she is being reasonable, but what should I do? Is an explanation letter to the consolate officer enough to prevent a rejection?

I've got everything ready for the interview.. which should be in about a month or so... except my former wife's social number. I have the divorce papers. She is not trying to be difficult, but she says now with identity theft, she has been advised to not give out the number. I think she is being reasonable, but what should I do? Is an explanation letter to the consolate officer enough to prevent a rejection?

Got any old Income tax returnes?

or... birth certificates..

I do thinks she is being difficult... lets be real, she knows what your up to and does;nt like it... :rotfl:

I would say that even if you can find it somewhere, that she doesn't want you to give it out.

Would she be willing to sign a statement to that effect?

They don't ask that you do the impossible, but they do ask you to try. Seems like this ex's SS # thing should be dropped from the list.

Guest Mike and Lily

I would say that even if you can find it somewhere, that she doesn't want you to give it out.

They don't ask that you do the impossible, but they do ask you to try. Seems like this ex's SS # thing should be dropped from the list.

Try to get her to send you her recent utility bills to you then. They want to prove you are living apart from each other.

Try to get her to send you her recent utility bills to you then. They want to prove you are living apart from each other.

I'm with the ex's here - I don't think GUZ has any business asking for anything from them (nor do the ex's have any reason to provide it), but this may be a workable compromise, if the ex is willing. If not, just provide a statement to that effect, along with whatever publicly available information you can find.

No tax return records??

No tax return records??

Exactly, or if divorce is recent, and had filed jointly in the past 3 years, then ssn should show up on simple IRS transcripts.

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

For affidavit of support you will need IRS transcripts.

I'm with the ex's here - I don't think GUZ has any business asking for anything from them (nor do the ex's have any reason to provide it)

I'm not sure I agree with this sentiment. If a USC petitions for someone outside the country to be able to enter and gain immigrant benefits, I can see that DOS wants to know if the USC is not doing anything fraudulent and may need to check out their background some.

The government issued the SSN and another branch is asking for it. The only issue I see is the impracticality for some who have been divorced for a long time to track this down.

I'm with the ex's here - I don't think GUZ has any business asking for anything from them (nor do the ex's have any reason to provide it)

I'm not sure I agree with this sentiment. If a USC petitions for someone outside the country to be able to enter and gain immigrant benefits, I can see that DOS wants to know if the USC is not doing anything fraudulent and may need to check out their background some.

The government issued the SSN and another branch is asking for it. The only issue I see is the impracticality for some who have been divorced for a long time to track this down.

The issue is whether the ex should allow you to give out her SS #. I say no, speaking from her point of view.

If she's willing, of course there's no problem. I'm just suggesting she shouldn't be, and GUZ shouldn't be implying that it's needed.

If you used an accountant while you were married they may have it on file. They seem to scan everything these days. I have an old telephone book from when I went to college and back in them days everyones ID number (ss number) was published. Things are out there just have to look for them.

No tax return records??

I should have been more specific.. the divorce was in 1985.. so I don't have the tax records.. I found a paragraph from the Social Security Administration that says "do not give out your SS# unless required by law, even if asked for it".. so I cut that out and put into a letter (along with her address) explaining that she was advised to not give it out... hope that's enough..

No tax return records??

I should have been more specific.. the divorce was in 1985.. so I don't have the tax records.. I found a paragraph from the Social Security Administration that says "do not give out your SS# unless required by law, even if asked for it".. so I cut that out and put into a letter (along with her address) explaining that she was advised to not give it out... hope that's enough..

George - ok - so maybe the SSN wasn't listed in the divorce decree?

What about in the other divorce paperwork ?

You should be able to review the entire set o paperwork at the courthouse where the divorce was granted. Good luck !