Bringing my lao po's nephew to America

Wondering if anyone has has this similar situation, bringing another family member to America. My lao po's brothers son is 17 years old and his father wants to ask how we can sponsor his son to America. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben and Xue Ying

Guest Rob & Jin

your brothers in-law's son- will be very hard

Do you own a big business, is his profession in demand here ? ie nurse, engineer, rocket scientist , etc.

I dont think you can get a family visa of any sort for a nephew, maybe a student or work one (Randy will correct me if I'm wrong) :cheering:

Good luck :cheering:

Wondering if anyone has has this similar situation, bringing another family member to America. My lao po's brothers son is 17 years old and his father wants to ask how we can sponsor his son to America. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben and Xue Ying

Maybe start with a student visa. Can he get into a US college? Once he gets admited and with you and his father sponsering him for the money you might be able to get a student visa.

By "sponsoring" what do you mean?

Have him come for a short visit (possible, but difficult - see the pinned mother-in-law visa thread in this forum for B2 visitor visa information), OR sponsoring him to immigrate (impossible for "family" visas ... you couldn't even adopt him at this point ... you could possibly sponsor him for a work visa if you have a company, but probably a bit far fetched ...). If he wants to move to America, he might be able to get a student visa to study here, and then possibly change that to something else later (but a student visa is also non-immigrant). If he really intends to immigrate, his only options are really the green card lottery (a.k.a diversity program - which really is a lottery), or you introducing him to some nice American girl ...

From form I-130:

Who May File Form I-130?

1. If you are a U.S.citizen you must file a separate Form I-130 for each eligible relative. You may file a Form I-130 for:

A. Your husband or wife;

B. Your unmarried child under age 21;

C. Your unmarried son or daughter age 21 or older;

D. Your married son or daughter of any age;

E. Your brother(s) or sister(s) (you must be age 21 or older);

F. Your mother or father (you must be age 21 or older).

2. If you are a lawful permanent resident of United States, you may file this form for:

A. Your husband or wife;

B. Your unmarried child under age 21;

C. Your unmarried son or daughter age 21 or older.

Who May Not File This Form I-130?

You may not file for a person in the following categories:

1. An adoptive parent or adopted child, if the adoption took place after the child's 16th birthday, or if the child has not been in the legal custody and living with the parent(s) for at least two years.

3. A stepparent or stepchild, if the marriage that created the relationship took place after the child's 18th birthday.

8. A grandparent, grandchild, nephew, niece, uncle, aunt, cousin, or in-law.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-130instr.pdf

You cannot sponsor a niece or nephew directly, your wife could sponsor the niece or nephew only by sponsoring her brother, and only after she becomes a US Citizen, she would sponsor brother, and nephew would be sponsored at same time as child of brother.

Family Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of United States citizens, and their spouses and children, provided the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years of age. (65,000)
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/immigrant...types_1306.html

Currently F-4 class visas being issued for China had their I-130's filed Jan 97, 11 years ago. So it would take a very long time to bring the nephew to the USA.