Fingerprinted

Ok,Fingerprinting was just done a few days ago,in Tampa Florida.

Now when do we get the EAD Employment Card???

Do you know the TORTURE I am going through right now because she feels as if she is being deprived of money (THE MONEY!!!) every second she is without that EAD Card,and I refuse to allow her to go clean houses with a bunch of illegal Mexicans she has been hanging around with at the local ESL School.

Sure,its possible to pick up some money doing casual waitressing,and speaking Thai/Chinese/English is helpful,but EVERY TIME the LaoBan (restuarant manager) takes advantage,skimms off the tips,or only calls her in during the bussiest hours,then the next thing you know some young Mexican or Chinese girl shows up and does the same work for less money.

What a crap deal!

I thought AT LEAST my wife would be allowed to WORK (legally)when she arrived to America,and honored her agreement to marry me,and is SPONSORED,I-134 & I-864+I-864A.

I mean REALLY,its not so much the money (it IS the money) but the fact that WORKING is what normal people do.

How do they expect her to participate in American society in a healthy manner,when from the start she cant be sure if its "ok" to wait a few tables part time,and she is set up from day one to be ripped off by TYPICAL restaurant manager.

No "EAD Card"=NO DIGNITY!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know the TORTURE I am going through right now because she feels as if she is being deprived of money (THE MONEY!!!) every second she is without that EAD Card,and I refuse to allow her to go clean houses with a bunch of illegal Mexicans she has been hanging around with at the local ESL School.

Sure,its possible to pick up some money doing casual waitressing,and speaking Thai/Chinese/English is helpful,but EVERY TIME the LaoBan (restuarant manager) takes advantage,skimms off the tips,or only calls her in during the bussiest hours,then the next thing you know some young Mexican or Chinese girl shows up and does the same work for less money.

What a crap deal!

I thought AT LEAST my wife would be allowed to WORK (legally)when she arrived to America,and honored her agreement to marry me,and is SPONSORED,I-134 & I-864+I-864A.

I mean REALLY,its not so much the money (it IS the money) but the fact that WORKING is what normal people do.

How do they expect her to participate in American society in a healthy manner,when from the start she cant be sure if its "ok" to wait a few tables part time,and she is set up from day one to be ripped off by TYPICAL restaurant manager.

{Edit, OK, I read some of your prior posts, I'm changing this reply to reflect the information you put there}

You did regular AOS after K1 once you landed in USA, with additional EAD document, right ?

IME, the EAD takes just as long to process, if not longer, as the AOS package - there's a d@mn good chance she'll receive her green card before she receives ANY EAD.

Now, as to EAD - You REALIZE she NOT have to have EAD and SSN to OWN A BUSINESS AS A SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP, and OWNING a business is DEAD EASY !! can set up at the County Clerk's office with a /d/b/a, not need to incorporate, can then set up business to clean peoples' houses, hire the illegals you see on the street, SHE makes the big money. Or, she can set up some other business. Her ability to make money, as a business person, will solely depend on how well the two of you can market the services for that business.

I thought AT LEAST my wife would be allowed to WORK (legally)when she arrived to America, - sorry, this is a fallacy - SHE has to WAIT to get some document, either EAD or Greencard, there is time gap between 'arrival' and 'legally clear to be a W-2 employee'. Setting up a small business as a /d/b/a, IME, bypasses the wait for SSN and EAD. Your County has a Small Business Center, perhaps the two of you should go out there and STUDY whats possible for a day, then file the /d/b/a paperwork, set up small business. Also Study the Schedule C instructions (soon) for IRS Form 1040, she'll have good idea of what constitutes a business expense. Please note that many educational expenses, if tied to a business, are 100 percent tax deductible with no cap limits each year. Also, she has 4 years in which to show a profit with her small business.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

What a crap deal!

After Finger printing it took about 3 weeks for my wife to get her EAD card in the mail.

What a crap deal!

{Edit, OK, I read some of your prior posts, I'm changing this reply to reflect the information you put there}

You did regular AOS after K1 once you landed in USA, with additional EAD document, right ?

IME, the EAD takes just as long to process, if not longer, as the AOS package - there's a d@mn good chance she'll receive her green card before she receives ANY EAD.

Now, as to EAD - You REALIZE she NOT have to have EAD and SSN to OWN A BUSINESS AS A SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP, and OWNING a business is DEAD EASY !! can set up at the County Clerk's office with a /d/b/a, not need to incorporate, can then set up business to clean peoples' houses, hire the illegals you see on the street, SHE makes the big money. Or, she can set up some other business. Her ability to make money, as a business person, will solely depend on how well the two of you can market the services for that business.

I thought AT LEAST my wife would be allowed to WORK (legally)when she arrived to America, - sorry, this is a fallacy - SHE has to WAIT to get some document, either EAD or Greencard, there is time gap between 'arrival' and 'legally clear to be a W-2 employee'. Setting up a small business as a /d/b/a, IME, bypasses the wait for SSN and EAD. Your County has a Small Business Center, perhaps the two of you should go out there and STUDY whats possible for a day, then file the /d/b/a paperwork, set up small business. Also Study the Schedule C instructions (soon) for IRS Form 1040, she'll have good idea of what constitutes a business expense. Please note that many educational expenses, if tied to a business, are 100 percent tax deductible with no cap limits each year. Also, she has 4 years in which to show a profit with her small business.

What are your thoughts?

Its hard to see these problems ahead of time.

In one package,we sent all the EAD Application/Green Card Application/I-864,etc,etc,for the low low price of $1,010.

Before she arrived in America,I was aware she would want to start working.

Working is the best way for her to get out on her own,speak English,and introduce herself to the community.

Sure,I guess it would be easy for her to make "walking around money" working part time in a restaurant.

The reality is,as soon as she got here (we were living together in China for about 2 years prior to coming here)she was impatient,following the advise of any Mexican or Asian she meets in her English school about her visa green card process,ignoring me and going directly to the Social Security office to get a worthless TEMPORARY SSCard unusable for employment.

EVERY move she makes "on her own" regarding this process,trying to push to the front of the line,has gained her nothing,and has even caused delays.

Ok,I am responsible (with the help of CFL)for researching and making all the applications,and so far I think Ive done a very good job.

I am trying to be patient with her and the process,and I understand why she feels frustrated about this,but she just doesn't get it.

I get tired of her blaming me because she has no EAD Card yet.

What a crap deal!

After Finger printing it took about 3 weeks for my wife to get her EAD card in the mail.

OH GOD I hope so!!!

Im thinking anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months would be considered a normal waiting period.

We did this fingerprinting in Tampa Florida.

OH GOD I hope so!!!

Im thinking anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months would be considered a normal waiting period.

Same here, about 3 to 4 weeks.

OH GOD I hope so!!!

Im feeling better now.

I see light at the end of the tunnel.

Just the chance that she may remove her pint sized sawed off version of a jackboot from my throat ,in as little as a fortnight?I can do this!

The reality is,as soon as she got here (we were living together in China for about 2 years prior to coming here)she was impatient,following the advise of any Mexican or Asian she meets in her English school about her visa green card process,ignoring me and going directly to the Social Security office to get a worthless TEMPORARY SSCard unusable for employment.

EVERY move she makes "on her own" regarding this process,trying to push to the front of the line,has gained her nothing,and has even caused delays.

Ok,I am responsible (with the help of CFL)for researching and making all the applications,and so far I think Ive done a very good job.

I am trying to be patient with her and the process,and I understand why she feels frustrated about this,but she just doesn't get it.

If she has an SS card, it is NOT temporary - it is good for life. It is used for income tax, including the tax rebate if you included her on your 2007 return, and any benefits you may be entitled to later in life. The SS card itself is NEVER good for employment, with or without the stamp on it. DHS Authorization in the form of the EAD or green cards is, as is an American passport or birth certificate.

But without Employment Authorization, she shouldn't have been able to get the card. Edit: or if she was K-1 and applied within the 90 days

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

If she has an SS card, it is NOT temporary - it is good for life. It is used for income tax, including the tax rebate if you included her on your 2007 return, and any benefits you may be entitled to later in life. The SS card itself is NEVER good for employment, with or without the stamp on it. DHS Authorization in the form of the EAD or green cards is, as is an American passport or birth certificate.

But without Employment Authorization, she shouldn't have been able to get the card. Edit: or if she was K-1 and applied within the 90 days

Against my instruction,she complicated things.

As soon as she got here and began taking advise from other "foreigners",she took her I94 ENTRY CARD/K1 Visa to the SS Office AND Florida Drivers License/ID Card office,to get a simple ID Card.

She got:

1 Florida ID Card

1 Social Security Card

BOTH of these cards EXPIRED soon after she received them (because the I94 Entry Card expired) and were worthless.

Her intention to use them for employment,because the Mexicans at school told her to.

As soon as she got here and began taking advise from other "foreigners",she took her I94 ENTRY CARD/K1 Visa to the SS Office AND Florida Drivers License/ID Card office,to get a simple ID Card.

She got:

1 Florida ID Card

1 Social Security Card

BOTH of these cards EXPIRED soon after she received them (because the I94 Entry Card expired) and were worthless.

Her intention to use them for employment,because the Mexicans at school told her to.

The SS card NEVER expires. We advise ALL K-1's to get the SS card within 74 days of arrival.

I've never seen a date on one.

That card should be perfectly good.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

She got:

1 Florida ID Card

1 Social Security Card

The SS card NEVER expires. We advise ALL K-1's to get the SS card within 74 days of arrival.

You are correct,it never expires,but this one is stamped in red ink

"NOT FOR EMPLOYMENT"

The reason she got the card was for employment purposes,because the Mexicans told her to.

Edited by Threadbare (see edit history)

She got:

1 Florida ID Card

1 Social Security Card

"NOT FOR EMPLOYMENT"

The reason she got the card was for employment purposes,because the Mexicans told her to.

Did it say "without authorization" also?

EAD, or GC should be proof of authorization.

"NOT FOR EMPLOYMENT"

Did it say "without authorization" also?

EAD, or GC should be proof of authorization.

If it really says "NOT FOR EMPLOYMENT", she should have had to document a need for the card - such as a government agency requirement. If she had taken her K-1 documentation, including the passport with I-94 within the 74 days, she should have been able get the "WITHOUT DHS AUTHORIZATION" notation, which IS good as an SS for work (but still requires separate authorization)

OH GOD I hope so!!!

Ditto, EAD came about 3 weeks after biometrics.

She got:

1 Florida ID Card

1 Social Security Card

"NOT FOR EMPLOYMENT"

She did EXACTLY what we did when my wife arrived, got an SSN and State ID as do most of the K-1's on this site.

Life is much easier with an SSN and yes there are those out there who will employ her with what she has.

I think your wife is a bit unhappy with you for not knowing how the game is played in your own country and that is not the fault of the Mexicans. It's your country and she is expecting you to take the lead and help her out in these things.