I just got my income tax sorta done. Now, the lovely wife, in Shenzhen, has no idea of this procedure. Should I claim her on my Income Tax, no SS #, no name change, I just have HK marriage document to say she is my wife. I don't want to jump through too many hoops, but if it a positive step I will.

Someone please guide me.

Yes you will need a TIN, which will require a notarized copy of her passport.

What you can do is to calculate your taxes now, and send in any amount due on an extension request. These are automatically granted. Then, once you get the information needed for her TIN, fill out the return and mail it in.

I think you will need the TIN regardless, unless you file singly.

I would say if there is a significant savings in filling a joint

income tax return for this year then I would file for

an extension until you receive either a SSN or a ITIN

for her...

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0,,id=98155,00.html

and you can always ammend it 3 years later like he said...

p.s. - Do you want the get the extra stimulation (Rebate Check)? :P

for her...

That's only available (the second one) if she has an SSN

:P

for her...

yes bad luck no stimulus check for her, but that would have been just what China needed more US currency :)

I will pass this year and just chalk it up to knowledge. I have to laugh laugh laugh the stimulus package. I need that like I need a new hole in my head. That is 3 full tanks of gas for 3 weeks, then what, we all go on Food Stamps for bread and milk. I fly for free to see my wife, I wonder who pays for that, and I know its not the CEO of the Airlines.

:o

for her...

yes bad luck no stimulus check for her, but that would have been just what China needed more US currency :)

If you don't somebody (Mexico) else will... :huh: :blink: :blink: :blink: :D

Am I understanding the stimulus package correctly, that BOTH people are excluded from the stimulus package if either of you have and ITIN. However I believe you will be able to use this as a tax credit on your 2008 taxes, due April 15, 2009..

Am I understanding the stimulus package correctly, that BOTH people are excluded from the stimulus package if either of you have and ITIN. However I believe you will be able to use this as a tax credit on your 2008 taxes, due April 15, 2009..

from http://www.military.com/news/article/itin-...ial-rebate.html

"Taxpayers with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) instead of [a Social Security number] are not eligible to receive a stimulus payment," reads a posting on the Internal Revenue Service's Web site. "Both people listed on a 'married filing jointly' return must have valid SSNs to qualify for the payment.

"If only one has a valid SSN, neither can receive the payment," according to the IRS.

A taxpayer with an ITIN cannot get the rebate. On a return that is married filing

jointly, if either taxpayer has an ITIN, that return will not get a rebate. The rebate

will be issued to a taxpayer who files married filing separately if that taxpayer has

an SSN. In some cases, where only one spouse has an ITIN, it may be

beneficial for the couple to file married filing separately. Preparers need to watch

for these situations and may need to try preparing returns both ways.

A nasty little catch there

But a little bit of good news from the IRS

Q. If I'm filing a tax return this year just to get a stimulus payment, by when do I have to file?

A. The IRS encourages everyone to file by the normal April 15 tax deadline: The sooner you file the sooner you can receive your stimulus payment. But if you have obtained a valid six-month extension to file or if you are filing to establish your eligibility for the stimulus payment, filing by Oct. 15 means the IRS can process your return and issue a stimulus payment before the end of the year. [New 3/5/08]

- and -

Q. I don¡¯t qualify for a stimulus payment based on my 2007 return. But my tax situation will be different in 2008. Will I qualify for any special benefit?

A. Possibly. The 2008 tax instructions will include a worksheet to help those who did not qualify for a payment or those who received a reduced amount determine if they can obtain a benefit when they file their 2008 tax returns next year.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)