NVC-to-P3-to-P4

Per the NVC and the GUZ, my K-1 petition has been in China since 1/26/2008.

I have a few questions that I will solicit the experts for answers.

First question, where is the petition?

Is it with the Chinese Custom Officials or is in the mailroom at the GUZ?

Once the GUZ gets it and starts the P3 processing, what exactly do they do?

My SO then gets the P3 package, fills it out and sends it back and patiently waits for P4 which I assume is the interview invitation.

What does the GUZ do with the case between their receipt of the P3 package and issuance of the P4 package?

It seems that the timeframes are all over map.

What are the main causes for the variation in processing times?

Is there anything one can do to minimize the processing time between P3 and P4?

Thank you,

-Squonk

First hold up after leaving NVC is Customs, the case sits there for a month or so, and then gets put in a warehouse until the consulate is ready for more cases. Typicaly 3-4 months NVC --> GUZ.

They start a name check, and then send out the instruction packet,

When they receive P3 back they do some processing and schedule an interview appointment, then send out P4 invitation packet.

NVC --> GUZ 3-4 months, P3 --> P4 about a month, and then P-4 --> Interview a month or so.

Look at my timeline by the link below.

I used VJ timelines, and for K-1 the timing is quite consistent from NOA2 to interview. Some variance for a beneficiary slow returning P3, NVC Administrative Process, name check etc..

One thing many do is to have P3 forms filled out and ready to send before they get them, I waited 3 months after NVC sent the case and then started calling DOS visa services once a week, and soon found out that P3 was sent out. At that point we could send out our prepared DS-230pt1, and OF-169

http://travel.state.gov/about/info/info_308.html#visa

P3 forms to return are OF-169, and DS-230 part 1.

They are sent to:

United States Consulate Guangzhou

IV Unit

1 Shamian South Street

Guangzhou, 510133 PRC

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

First question, where is the petition? More than likely, it has cleared China Customs, and is sitting on a pallet, on the dark, dank, rat infested warehouse floor, at Shamian Island.Is it with the Chinese Custom Officials or is in the mailroom at the GUZ?

Once the GUZ gets it and starts the P3 processing, what exactly do they do? I am now of the opinion that they start processing the hard file, sometime prior to the P-3 notice being generated. In addition to the Service Center and NVC portions of the processing, the Consulate also has its specific investigative role, coupled with the findings/determinations of the two previous reviewing levels.

My SO then gets the P3 package, fills it out and sends it back and patiently waits for P4 which I assume is the interview invitation.

What does the GUZ do with the case between their receipt of the P3 package and issuance of the P4 package? They most likely process and reconcile the info on the DS 230 and the OF 169, as outlined above. The P-4 package is issued and the interview date set. The file is now ready for the VO's review.

It seems that the timeframes are all over map. Yes, to a certain extent, this is true. As GUZ says, each case is unique and each subject to differing review/processing times.

What are the main causes for the variation in processing times? In my opinion, this relates to the complexity of the case; e.g., IMBRA issues, previous case filings, name check issues, false hits in system, children on petition, financials, suspicion of fraudulent/non bona fide relationship, missing documentation, errors on file submitted, etc. Moreover, these issues may be on either/or the beneficiary or petitioner's side of the case.

Is there anything one can do to minimize the processing time between P3 and P4? There is a short cut for the P-3, but I am not aware of a shortcut for the P-4 being generated, for the K-visas ??

Thank you,

-Squonk

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Lucky you, my application went in the same box as yours, so I already did the leg work.

Your K-1 petition "likely" went in this DHL shipment:

http://track.dhl-usa.com/TrackByNbr.asp?na...mber=8190522745

It is not held up in customs, though it did stay extra long in customs because of Chinese New Year.

I'd like to know the variations in process time too.

Edited by credzba (see edit history)

Thank you all for the responses.

Credza:

Based on what the NVC and DHL told me, I think my package was in DHL shipment 8188078393.

But it does not make any difference, both of our cases are there waiting for light of day.

Nate and Wenju:

The way that I found out when my package was received by the Consulate is as follows:

1. Call the NVC and get the exact date when they shipped it out.

The NVC had no issue in providing this data.

2. Call DHL and ask them for the tracking number for the shipment that left the NVC bound for the GUZ on that date. If there are no pick-ups, try to vary the date +/- 2 days or so.

3. Enter the tracking number on the DHL website and "viola" you get the tracking data.

Please note that the GUZ receive date is based on the preponderance of the evidence and there is no guarantee that your file was actually in that shipment.

But it does give you a "warm fuzzy" and at this point in the game a "warm fuzzy" can be a good thing.

First question, where is the petition? More than likely, it has cleared China Customs, and is sitting on a pallet, on the dark, dank, rat infested warehouse floor, at Shamian Island.Is it with the Chinese Custom Officials or is in the mailroom at the GUZ?

Once the GUZ gets it and starts the P3 processing, what exactly do they do? I am now of the opinion that they start processing the hard file, sometime prior to the P-3 notice being generated. In addition to the Service Center and NVC portions of the processing, the Consulate also has its specific investigative role, coupled with the findings/determinations of the two previous reviewing levels.

What does the GUZ do with the case between their receipt of the P3 package and issuance of the P4 package? They most likely process and reconcile the info on the DS 230 and the OF 169, as outlined above. The P-4 package is issued and the interview date set. The file is now ready for the VO's review.

It seems that the timeframes are all over map. Yes, to a certain extent, this is true. As GUZ says, each case is unique and each subject to differing review/processing times.

What are the main causes for the variation in processing times? In my opinion, this relates to the complexity of the case; e.g., IMBRA issues, previous case filings, name check issues, false hits in system, children on petition, financials, suspicion of fraudulent/non bona fide relationship, missing documentation, errors on file submitted, etc. Moreover, these issues may be on either/or the beneficiary or petitioner's side of the case.

OK, in order to prepare myself for all potential issues, what happens if the sent in P3 package has missing and/or errenoeous data or is missing documents. Then what occurs?

My fiancee and I have spoken and will continue to speak about the importance of accurate, complete, and legible forms. We are tryting our best to ensure that the supporting evidence is of the highest value added. I have already learned that some of the items that I was going to have her submit, although benign, probably would have caused problems.

Is there anything one can do to minimize the processing time between P3 and P4? There is a short cut for the P-3, but I am not aware of a shortcut for the P-4 being generated, for the K-visas ??

Can you share the P-3 secret with me? Thank you.

Thank you,

-Squonk

Credza:

Based on what the NVC and DHL told me, I think my package was in DHL shipment 8188078393.

But it does not make any difference, both of our cases are there waiting for light of day.

Nate and Wenju:

The way that I found out when my package was received by the Consulate is as follows:

2. Call DHL and ask them for the tracking number for the shipment that left the NVC bound for the GUZ on that date. If there are no pick-ups, try to vary the date +/- 2 days or so.

3. Enter the tracking number on the DHL website and "viola" you get the tracking data.

Please note that the GUZ receive date is based on the preponderance of the evidence and there is no guarantee that your file was actually in that shipment.

But it does give you a "warm fuzzy" and at this point in the game a "warm fuzzy" can be a good thing.

Hi Squonk

So DHL will just tell you the tracking number? I'm surprised!

I'll try it. DOS told me it left NVC on the 8th of February if I recall.

I tried the 'EXP 08 FEB 2008A' but did not see any shipments to GUZ, but everywhere else.

Thanks

Try 'EXP 08 FEB 2008B'

I experienced the same problem, but someone on Visa Journey pointed out this trick to me.

Brian

Credza:

Nate and Wenju:

Hi Squonk

I tried the 'EXP 08 FEB 2008A' but did not see any shipments to GUZ, but everywhere else.

Thanks

:roller:

Try 'EXP 08 FEB 2008B'

I experienced the same problem, but someone on Visa Journey pointed out this trick to me.

Brian

Credza:

Nate and Wenju:

Hi Squonk

Thanks

Thanks Brian

I was using 'A' and it did not show any shipments to GUZ. the 'B' works so I guess all the shipments to GUZ ends in 'B'

Thanks again B)

Nate

What does the GUZ do with the case between their receipt of the P3 package and issuance of the P4 package?

Thank you,

-Squonk

I guess the best way to minimize the time is to have all the documents for the P3 filled out and send them in as soon as you know the P3 is shipped to you. This method can shorten the total time some.

Thank you,

-Squonk

I guess the best way to minimize the time is to have all the documents for the P3 filled out and send them in as soon as you know the P3 is shipped to you. This method can shorten the total time some.

So Don

the P-3 forms to return

are OF-169, and DS-230 part 1.?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

question

When GUZ sends P-3 packet, OF 169 asks for the it completed and DS 230 part I

Does my SO also need to mail in copies of the items in the check list, like birth certificate, police report, marital status or just check off the boxes?

Also where does she get the police report and marital status reports? She is from Shanghai but lives in Shenzhen.

thank you