Internship or scholorship verses just sponsering

To have a neice or a nephew come over to study at a Universty here in the U.S. It would be Cheaper and easier to -----
1. Just try to sponsper that individual to get them a visa. Get them to come to the U.S, then think about enrolling them in school, possibly even 1 year later so thay can be waved the "out of state" tuition fee's.
Or
2. Have them somehow get connected to an international program or internship---some type of forign exchange, student visa program.??

I know California (esp up here, Sacremento) is very big on foreign students and a good place to do this. But so far the Forien exchage program idea looks pretty spendy. The University I was looking at says no financial aid or sholorships would be available for their international study program.

Any ideas or experiences with this?

To have a neice or a nephew come over to study at a Universty here in the U.S. It would be Cheaper and easier to -----

1. Just try to sponsper that individual to get them a visa. Get them to come to the U.S, then think about enrolling them in school, possibly even 1 year later so thay can be waved the "out of state" tuition fee's.

Or

2. Have them somehow get connected to an international program or internship---some type of forign exchange, student visa program.??

I know California (esp up here, Sacremento) is very big on foreign students and a good place to do this. But so far the Forien exchage program idea looks pretty spendy. The University I was looking at says no financial aid or sholorships would be available for their international study program.

Any ideas or experiences with this?

It really depends upon the field of study. In the sciences and Engineering there is money availible, they do not have to worry. The school will even pay them a stipend. The money does nto come from the school but from the professor which should have research grants. IF the professor does not thave the grant, than the department will fill in the money and have them help teach. Others areas have money too, you have to apply and see what the department says. THe department controls monny for graduate school not the school.

I also think it depends on the age of this cousin and the level of degree he is seeking.

For example - if is just graduating High School, and wants to come to USA for study, then he needs to handle international admissions, and to the best of my knowledge, there is not any scholarship program available (at financial aid office) .

If for graduate school, the rules are different - and scholarships are available both at the financial aid office and the department level.

You might want to have him apply , get the F-1 Visa, then your us-based family becomes his sponser (if undergraduate). He'll have to pay international rates (check yer school, usually 4 times the amount for local resident).

If under 18, you might want to consider (yes, this is ludicrious idea) ADOPTING the boy, then coming in as CR-1. Then once he's here, wait one year, then he can get local tuition rates.

MY LP has talked to me about adopting a preteen, not sure where that conversation will go, but I did do some reseasrch about the college stuff.

Another option to consider - If he just wants to get out of China and study at some international program, suggest he pursue education in New Zealand, where there ARE international full scholarships for undergraduate degree seekers coming in from China. New Zealand immigration laws are cool about all this, after being a student there for 2 years, you can apply for (and get) permanent residency (or was it citizenship? can't remember now) in New Zealand, and get a New Zealand Passport, which is good for at least 5 years. Then it's easier for this cousin to come in/out of the USA with a New Zealand passport .

hth !

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

You can't get any financial aid or any scholorship if she is coming to study from China. I'm positive about this. She can't get into a public school unless you reimburse the school for the full cost of schooling her. To get a F-1 Visa you have to find a immigration approved school that will issue a I-20 for her to get a interview.

You also can't have her visit here then switch her to a school. I'm positive about that too. since 911 the its not allowed.

I have been researching this for the last week for hours a day. I also double checked with a very informed immigration attorney. If you adopt her and this one i'm NOT positive about you would have to give her in your will just as much as you would give your children. You would also have to support her for two years before she would be allowed to come in and she couldn't live with her parents so you would have to live in a seperate house.

Its also the hardest visa to get because she is very likely not to return.

Good luck

Most American universities offer tuition scholorship to the most talented Chinese students. I personally know two young Chinese students who attended universities here in the States with full scholorship. One was origionally from Shanghai and he was the 2nd place winner in Shanghai High School Physics Competition. The other young student graduated from a well know high school in Beijing and scored perfect on his TOEFL exam. They also got their student visas easily.

Congress enacted limitations on certain foreign students planning to study in U.S. public elementary and secondary schools. The "Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996," which took effect on November 30, 1996, places the following restrictions on students seeking F-1 visas who wish to study at public secondary schools. The student (or his or her sponsor) is required to reimburse the public secondary school for the full, unsubsidized per capita cost of education for the intended period of study. Proof that such tuition has been paid must be evidenced on the I-20A-B application form for the visa. Waivers are not allowed. This law also limits school attendance to a maximum of twelve months for secondary students under F-1 visas. Overseas advisors should know that this law additionally prohibits attendance in public elementary schools, K-8, or publicly funded adult education programs by any individuals coming under F-1 status. These restrictions do not apply to students who come to the United States under a J-1 visa, nor do they apply to private schools. Violating the law or failure to reimburse the school district can lead to a student being barred from the United States for five years.

F-1 non-immigrant students must maintain a full course load while in the United States. They must follow a specific transfer procedure if they change schools. They are eligible for certain types of employment, provided the Designated School Official or DHS grants permission before the employment begins. The F-1 foreign student's obligations under U.S. immigration regulations are to: " provide evidence that the unsubsidized cost of tuition for any academic study in the United States is paid in order to obtain their visa, " have sufficient financial resources for the anticipated stay in the United States, " have a residence abroad to return to upon completion of the program in the United States, and " always maintain lawful immigration status while in the United States by keeping a valid passport, not working without authorization, and leaving the United States upon expiration of the visit or securing an extension of permission to stay if needed.

Unsubsidized meaning you didn't get any financial aid or scholorship. Why would America allow a foreign student to come and study and take away the potential scholorship of a legal resident or american citizen.

They do have a program for gifted students and especially talented individuals but that is not a F-1 student visa. The link to the above quote is:

http://www.csiet.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=34133

The people you knew were on a whole other visa program and your information can't apply to regular people trying to get a F-1 visa. Its a special situation that doens't apply to everyone

Edited by NicolaNSam (see edit history)

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to give everyone a great link that provides information about getting the F-1 visa and repaying a public school for their expenses.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1269.html

Notice this applies to elementary and secondary students (K-12) only. College students are not affected, unless I'm missing something.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Hi Randy,

Your right but it still doesn't mean you would be allowed to get any financial aid or scholorship to college. Do you know of any rule here that doesn't apply to college? Thanks

Read the law - it ONLY applies to elementary and secondary - K through 12. I can find plenty of people at work who DID get scholarships and other forms of financial aid

(1)(1) An alien may not be according status as a nonimmigrant under section 101(a)(15)(F)(i) in order to pursue a course of study --

(A) at a public elementary school or in a publicly funded adult education program: or

(B ) at a public secondary school unless --

(i) the aggregate period of such status at such a school does not exceed 12 months with respect to any alien, and

(ii) the alien demonstrates that the alien has reimbursed the local educational agency that administers the school for the full, unsubsidized per capita cost of providing education at such school for the period of the alien's attendance.

Randy,

Your own link says:

(ii) the alien demonstrates that the alien has reimbursed the local educational agency that administers the school for the full, unsubsidized per capita cost of providing education at such school for the period of the alien's attendance.

"Unsubsidized" means you did can not get financial aid. I spoke to a very informed attorney about this and she said she is positive you cannot get financial aid. I also called several universities and asked them and all have said foreign students coming in on a F-1 student visa are not allowed to get financial aid.

A few links to universities telling you that you cannot get any financial aid:

1)Q: Can F-1 nonimmigrant students get financial aid?

A: To qualify for an F-1 visa, students must show the ability to pay for their educational and living expenses in the US for the entire length of their stay. As a result, they can not qualify for need-based awards through the FAFSA process but may qualify for an award from a designated fund.

Link: http://www.nbts.edu/newsite/tuition.cfm

2)7. Can a student in F-1 status get Financial Aid?

No. F-1 students show proper documentation that they have the financial support to pay their tuition and do not qualify for financial aid.

Link: http://www.stcc.edu/admissions/international_faq.asp

3)If you are in the U.S. on an F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or a G series visa you are not eligible for federal student aid.

Link: http://www.umass.edu/admissions/financial_aid/FAQ/

Now I did see that you may be able to get a scholorship and get a f-1 visa. you can get financial aid if you are a greencard holder or a legal resident but you cannot do so as a F-1 visa holder. So to clarify I now realize it seems you may be able to get a scholorship but you def. cannot get financial aid as a F-1 visa holder. Its not allowed. I was wrong about not being able to get a scholorship though.

Randy,

Your own link says:

"Unsubsidized" means you did not get a scholorship or financial aid. Other than people that told you they got financial aid or scholorships do you have a link that says your allowed to do so? I spoke to a very informed attorney about this and she said she is positive you cannot get financial aid or scholorships. I also called several universities and asked them and all have said foreign students coming in on a F-1 student visa are not allowed to get financial aid and scholorships. Your own link that you provided, Your "LAW" says the same thing. I'm not talking about your workmates telling you they got it i'm talking about a fact not word of mouth. Where do you work that has foreign students getting financial aid? Have you called one single university and asked? Have you sought information from a immigration attorney? Your just telling me your workmate said so. That's not a very good source. Can you provide me with one reliable link that says F-1 visa holders can get finacial aid.

We have many Chinese people at work who got Bachelor's degrees in China, and then came here for their graduate work. When someone TELLS you they got a scholarship, you don't ask for documentation. When someone TELLS you they worked as a TA to help pay their tuition, you don't ask for proof.

Whether these people are a "good source" or not - well, I'm not entirely sure of how complete of a story I got.

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong - maybe the scholarships were for private schools, maybe one or more is old enough that the law didn't apply to them.

Some schools won't even give you an I-20, so it's not surprising that they wouldn't offer a scholarship for an F-1 student.

I see the law as applying only to elementary and secondary schools, not to colleges

Here - I found one right of fthe bat for "new international student applicants (F-1 visa category)" - http://www.glendale.cc.ca.us/international/scolarship.htm

Do a search for "F-1 college scholarships"

All I'm saying is don't give hope hope for financial aid until you've checked with your school and maybe some others.

There are PRIVATE schools (MIT, CalTech, I think the Ivy League schools and Stanford) that offer financial aid to EVERY student based on need.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

A few links to universities telling you that you cannot get any financial aid:

1)Q: Can F-1 nonimmigrant students get financial aid?

A: To qualify for an F-1 visa, students must show the ability to pay for their educational and living expenses in the US for the entire length of their stay. As a result, they can not qualify for need-based awards through the FAFSA process but may qualify for an award from a designated fund.

Link: http://www.nbts.edu/newsite/tuition.cfm

2)7. Can a student in F-1 status get Financial Aid?

No. F-1 students show proper documentation that they have the financial support to pay their tuition and do not qualify for financial aid.

Link: http://www.stcc.edu/admissions/international_faq.asp

3)If you are in the U.S. on an F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or a G series visa you are not eligible for federal student aid.

Link: http://www.umass.edu/admissions/financial_aid/FAQ/

Now I did see that you may be able to get a scholorship and get a f-1 visa. you can get financial aid if you are a greencard holder or a legal resident but you cannot do so as a F-1 visa holder. So to clarify I now realize it seems you may be able to get a scholorship but you def. cannot get financial aid as a F-1 visa holder. Its not allowed. I was wrong about not being able to get a scholorship though.

Read the links you provide, also.

Q: Can F-1 nonimmigrant students get financial aid?

If you are in the U.S. on an F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or a G series visa you are not eligible for federal student aid. If you are an international student who does not meet these eligibility requirements, there are a number of websites that you can search for scholarship opportunities. Please contact the International Programs Office for more details.

Scholarships at schools which cater to foreign students are handled by the admissions department, and are included as part of your support when applying for the F-1 visa. When you apply for the F-1 visa , you must show that the funds are available to pay for your schooling, which will tend to RULE OUT any further scholarship.

Work with your admissions office.