Bringing in a cousin to study in America

Hey Everyone,

Nicola and I are doing really well! We just got back from China and I was wondering if anyone can help us. We would like to invite Nicola's cousin to study in America. Anyone know the process? She is in Jr. High and will start High School in six months. It would be great if she could go to High School here.

Of course we are not expecting to put her in a public schooling system and mooch off the government. We are more than willing to pay all expenses involved in putting her in a decent private school and are willing to pay all her travel and living expenses. Any direction is appreciated.

Hope everyone is doing well, good luck to everyone going through the visa process. Its really worth it in the end.

Sam

I'm afraid that unless she is involved in some sort of student exchage program it will be pretty difficult to do. Like Randy said, I would check with a nearby high school and ask if they have a student exchange program.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

I would contact the intended private school first. They may be familiar with this situation.

If it is allowed, they would most likely write a letter like a university would. You would need affidavits of support. Where the difficulty would be is showing intent to return. Building a strong case is difficult being that you would want them here perhaps more than 1 year. Exchange student programs have a long established pattern as do University programs. This might be outside USCIS's comfort zone.

Others here may actually know something :( just some ideas to explore for you.

You are trying to do a great and noble thing. Good luck. Watch that return thing. I think that's the biggest hurdle.

Edited by Jay & Ping (see edit history)

Thanks everyone,

I'm slowly researching this and I found out you need to have a private school that will help you with form I-20 so she can get a F-1 student visa to come study in our city. She would have to show strong ties and proof she would return to China. we will later move to Knoxville from New Orleans and our immigration lawyer said it won't be a problem to transfer. Also some schools may require that she takes a TOEFL exam in guangzhou before they accept her here. She would also have to have her grades translated in english with american equivalent grades, a company in Chigaco can take care of that.

Just sharing my information. If anyone knows anything else please share!

Sam

She would also have to have her grades translated in english with american equivalent grades, a company in Chigaco can take care of that.

Sam

Sam could you explain better how you go about getting the students transcript transferred, and translated to english.

I called the local high school, and the one item I don't know how to get is a "Certified grade transcript" translated to english.

My wife in China will check with the school, but if you know the process, I am sure I am others would like to know.

Thanks

She would also have to have her grades translated in english with american equivalent grades, a company in Chigaco can take care of that.

Sam

Sam could you explain better how you go about getting the students transcript transferred, and translated to english.

I called the local high school, and the one item I don't know how to get is a "Certified grade transcript" translated to english.

My wife in China will check with the school, but if you know the process, I am sure I am others would like to know.

Thanks

Yes, can you give us the name of the company in Chicago please? :lol:

I am going to get the Chicago companies information from our attorney this Friday. I promise to post an answer then.

I know there is a minimum amount of months that you must have your passport before entering the U.S. does anyone know if its six months? Nicola's cousin just got her passport two months ago and it seems that she may be able to get her interview less than four months from that time. Thanks in advance

Sam

I know there is a minimum amount of months that you must have your passport before entering the U.S. does anyone know if its six months? Nicola's cousin just got her passport two months ago and it seems that she may be able to get her interview less than four months from that time. Thanks in advance

Sam

Never heard of this Sam. Certainly none of the immigration papers I have filled out so far had a limit like this.

I checked with a friend at work who had done this more than 15 years ago - it sounds like not a whole lot has changed.

He had a bachelor's degree and was looking to go to graduate school in the US. He had a book on how to do this, including form letters. You basically apply for admission to the university (or high school), just like you would here. You need to find one that will give you an I-20, which you then use to apply for the student visa. Both DOS and the school will want proof of financial support, which can include a scholarship from the school. His financial aid included working as a TA for a couple of years. You will need to take a TOEFL, and whatever other tests are required by your school (GRE, SAT, etc.). You will need to demonstrate ties to your homeland to prove that you will return after graduation (although none of the Chinese people at my office did return - you are free to apply for a work visa with a sponsoring company).

The key seems to be to get accepted to a school which will give you the I-20 (not all will), and the financial support issue.

Sam

Thanks

My local H.S. required all of this for my daughters admission to their school. We translated the tanscript and went to the notary and certifited that we translated it correctly. They took it, other schools might not.

I think you need to get admited to the school first and than use their forms to get the F-1 student visa. The process can take one to two years under current timelines.

Hi Don,

One to two years to get the F-1 Visa!! I almost had a heart attack! Are you sure about this. I really hope you made a mistake because I found a school that is hopefully going to accept her to teach her TOEFL and english. They are federal government approved to issue the I-20 to us. From that point they said they can get us the I-20 in a week to 10 days. I called the Shanghai appointment center and they would be able to give us a appointment for the interview within three weeks. We were hoping to bring the I-20 pay the $100 SEVIS fee and get her to school here by May 5th.

Are you saying that after the interview she would have to wait for them to mail her the visa approval and that would take one or two years? If that's accurate I would be heart broken. I have put her hopes up of coming to study here for High School then maybe even College.

Edited by NicolaNSam (see edit history)

Hi Everyone,

As promised I am posting the evaluation company. I just finished meeting with our Immigration attorney and she said that the F-1 visa is the hardest of all to get because you really have to prove that you will return back to China. Also, She doesn't use that company out of Chicago anymore she recommened somone out of New York. She said that I'm her first person using the company so its not a high recommendation but it seems like they are a national company and they claim to have over 1000 immigration attorneys using their service so don't blame me if they suck HAHA.

Morningside Evaluations and Consulting

450 7th Ave, New York, NY 10123

Tel: 212-904-1025 www.mside.com

Hope this helps. Also, I don't think the process takes a year. She can make a interview in less than a month for the F-1 visa and they will either tell you no right off or mail you the visa in a week. Remember its a hard visa to get. Also, i'm not sure if this is accurate but she said we could make another appointment to review her case but have to wait six months after she fails the first. Good luck everyone

I just wanted to give you the best links that I have so far for explanations of the F-1 visa. Just to let everyone know your passport can't expire within six months of the time that you want to enter the U.S. I thought you had to have your passport for six months before entering.

Here are the best links for F-1 visa:

http://www.rusticgirls.com/business/f1-visa.html (Explains everything)

http://www.ice.gov/sevis/ (Shows statistics and other info)

http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/ApprovedSchools.pdf (List of schools that issue I-20)

Good luck everyone. I have been researching this thing for days.