Getting the "Also Known As" annotation

We just picked up the girls' passports from the Chinese Consulate in LA. The cycle of names is now complete. We have Lao Po's married name on GC, DL, SS, and now passport. Similarly, our daughter changed her first and last name in the GC process (I've reported on this in detail) and now has the new name annotated in her Chinese passport. The info I had on how to do this was incomplete. Below you'll find the complete process for those who wish to have an "Also known as" name inserted officially in their Chinese passport.

You'll need the following:

- The Chinese passport

- The Green Card

- A passport photo conforming to Chinese specifications (similar to US but emphasize, white background, centered, no hair in face, must be able to clearly see eyebrows/eyes/ears/nose/mouth (if wearing glasses this can be tricky), contrasting shirt (eg not white))

- A copy of the passport front page

- A copy of the GC

We brought secondary ID, marriage certificate, birth certificates, etc. All not needed.

You need to find/ask for a special all Chinese form titled:

ÖлªÈËÃü¹²ºÍ¹ú»¤ÕÕ¼Ó×¢ÉêÇë±í

there are no English instructions or labels as they assume Chinese passport holders read Chinese.

The form is pretty straightforward with the only tricky thing being in the box where they ask for the name in Chinese fill in the passport name and in the box where they ask for the name in English fill in the Green Card name.

Turn the whole package in at one of the service windows and you'll be given a pink slip and told to come back in 2-3 business days. The LA consulate does not offer "while you wait" or express service for this item.

Come back at the designated day (or later), pay $10, pick up the passport, and you're done.

The result is an official entry on one of the "Observations" pages (page 2-6 in the Chinese passport).

"The bearer of this passport is also known as {Family Name}, {Given Name}" in Chinese (except for the name) and English. This is followed by an official Chinese government red stamp and the date an location of the issuance of this annotation in Chinese and English.

The entry takes up one page.

The only name they'll accept (I think) is the exact name on the GC.

The reason you want to do this, of course, is so you can prove that the passport and the GC belong to the same person even though the original name the passport was issued in was different.

That sucks if we really have to wait until she gets the GC before getting an AKA in the passport? What if she wants to travel on AP before getting the GC? Do you think they would accept the AP doc with her married name in lieu of a GC? Or how about a state ID with her married name?

Yes they will. My wife traveled to China before we had the amendment made on her passport. She had to buy the ticket in her maiden name since that is what's on her passport. All they wanted to see when she came back was her green card. In your case the AP and her passport with stamp. They are mainly concerned with the documents that allow her to stay here and travel outside the country.

That sucks if we really have to wait until she gets the GC before getting an AKA in the passport? What if she wants to travel on AP before getting the GC? Do you think they would accept the AP doc with her married name in lieu of a GC? Or how about a state ID with her married name?

Yes they will. My wife traveled to China before we had the amendment made on her passport. She had to buy the ticket in her maiden name since that is what's on her passport. All they wanted to see when she came back was her green card. In your case the AP and her passport with stamp. They are mainly concerned with the documents that allow her to stay here and travel outside the country.

Thanks Carl.

I guess I was worried about a non-existent problem. The "they" I was referring to was the Chinese Consulate if we were to try and get the AKA inserted into her passport. I was considering doing this an added layer of protection. But as you point out, as long as the US gov't accepts her docs for travel, it doesn't really matter what the Chinese gov't accepts for AKA.

Carl, I'm a little confused in understanding what you said ... did you say the Chinese embassy/consulate issued an AKA in Bing's passport based on her AP document?

I may have confused the issue. I think Carl's "they" was the USG and my "they" was the Chinese consulate. He can clarify though. :)

A question in another thread got me thinking about this. Even though we applied for AP in her Chinese name to match her passport, they sent the NOA1s back for all three (AOS,AP,EAD) with her given/family/married name.

If the AP actually comes back that way, then we'll definately need to get the annotation in her passport won't we since the AP doc and passport won't match?

Which takes me back to the question: Will the CHINESE CONSULATE accept the AP doc with her married name in lieu of the GC if she hasn't gotten it by the time she wants to travel?

Which takes me back to the question: Will the CHINESE CONSULATE accept the AP doc with her married name in lieu of the GC if she hasn't gotten it by the time she wants to travel?

No, they will only accept a green card for this purpose.

Different names on passport and AP were not an issue for us as well. The ticket was in her passport name and AP in her married name.

No, they will only accept a green card for this purpose.

Different names on passport and AP were not an issue for us as well. The ticket was in her passport name and AP in her married name.

Thanks Lee. I think I'm gettin it through this thick skull now. I was confused about what Carl said about them wanting to see her AP and passport, thinking he meant they needed to match. I was getting my "theys" confused. It sounds like you're both saying that the AP doc and passport don't have to match in regards to what our gov't needs.

I'm thinkin too much today. :huh: