How long does it take....

Hello everybody,

Ok, I'm jumping way ahead here but my Lily asked a question and I wanted to pass it along because I don't know the answer.

How long after Lily arrives in the US will she be able to travel back to China? Her daughter is enrolled in a 2 yr program and she might have to wait more than 6 months before she can follow mom to US. I know that there are many steps to go after Lily arrives but what is needed for her to travel out of US and how long does it take to get?

The concern is if she must delay more than 6 months and mom cannot return to china for daughters interview which I believe will be needed if she delays more than 6 months.

Thanks for your time,

Brian

Brian ... you may be able to make this work without Lily going back.

Key points:

1. The K-2 (daughter) must enter the US prior to 1 year from the date that the K-1 (Lily) enters

2. Mother and daughter can interview together. (Highly recommended)

3. Because the K-2 is only good for 6 months AFTER it is put in your daughter's passport. So IF your daughter's timing is such that she may not leave for 6 months or more THEN she wants to become a "Follow to Join" (FTJ) and NOT get the visa installed in her passport at the same time the K-1 goes into Lily's passport.

4. In the FTJ case when Lily gets a pink your daughter will get an administrative blue with a g221 reason. This is NOT bad, it is purely administrative to establish a separate case file for your daughter.

5. Once mother and daughter interview, and mom passes, daughter does NOT need to interview again.

6. When daughter is in a 6 month window to leave for the US (note entry date must still be less than one year after mom) she goes back to GZ and turns in her passport, plus any updated documents to replace anything that expired. She gets the visa and picks up the passport at the post office two days later.

7. Note that for #6 above you do not need to make an appointment to go back to GZ. There are 3 or 4 days a week and a time window when daughter can show up and turn in her passport and docs.

Simple ... easy ...works.

Our K-2 stayed to finish high school and arrived 11 months after her mom.

Brian ... you may be able to make this work without Lily going back.

Key points:

1. The K-2 (daughter) must enter the US prior to 1 year from the date that the K-1 (Lily) enters

2. Mother and daughter can interview together. (Highly recommended)

3. Because the K-2 is only good for 6 months AFTER it is put in your daughter's passport. So IF your daughter's timing is such that she may not leave for 6 months or more THEN she wants to become a "Follow to Join" (FTJ) and NOT get the visa installed in her passport at the same time the K-1 goes into Lily's passport.

4. In the FTJ case when Lily gets a pink your daughter will get an administrative blue with a g221 reason. This is NOT bad, it is purely administrative to establish a separate case file for your daughter.

5. Once mother and daughter interview, and mom passes, daughter does NOT need to interview again.

6. When daughter is in a 6 month window to leave for the US (note entry date must still be less than one year after mom) she goes back to GZ and turns in her passport, plus any updated documents to replace anything that expired. She gets the visa and picks up the passport at the post office two days later.

7. Note that for #6 above you do not need to make an appointment to go back to GZ. There are 3 or 4 days a week and a time window when daughter can show up and turn in her passport and docs.

Simple ... easy ...works.

Our K-2 stayed to finish high school and arrived 11 months after her mom.

Or... :happydance:

You/she can file for AP (Advanced Parole) after she gets here. Usually takes two to three months to get it I think.