EAD and AP timeline

hi, all:

my then-fiancee-now-wife (yayy!!) Fiona and i are going over documents to apply for AOS. upon the new price change recently to the process, and base on the fact that $1010 application fee covers EAD and AP application fees as well, we are tempting to submit all three (AOS, EAD and AP) applications at the same time. do you think it's wise to do so? Fiona doesn't plan to work for at least another 5,6 months; and she doesn't mind staying here with me, not going back to China for another 6 to 8 months. i read somewhere on this forum that both EAD and AP expire after a year. so base on your experience and knowledge, what should Fiona and I do? should we wait?

you guys supported me throughout the whole I-127F process. thanks very much!

im still unaware how the new AP / EAD works with the new system.

i thought it was all in a package and you had unlimited so you didnt have to refile every year.

i do know though not to automatically think that your AOS will take 6-8 months. it might if your lucky but then on the other hand it might take longer. we filed september 06 and still are waiting.

File for EAD and AP. Both applications do not have much too them, so why not. We filed both when we filed AOS in Sept., and paid the $1010 fee. The AP took 62 days, and EAD 66 days from NOA 1. Both would be good for approx. one year after receiving them.

I have to agree with Bill on not to assume 6-8 months to complete the AOS portion. There are many here who are stuck in the system, and still waiting. Some here are pushing their 3rd EAD, which is BS on the USCIS end if you ask me.

I am not sure if the "unlimited" EAD/AP is correct either under the new fee structure. It would seem if this were the case the USCIS would be on their toes to process AOS within the 6-8 months. This being, multiple EAD/AP would begin to cost the USCIS money the longer a case is delayed.

hi, all:

my then-fiancee-now-wife (yayy!!) Fiona and i are going over documents to apply for AOS. upon the new price change recently to the process, and base on the fact that $1010 application fee covers EAD and AP application fees as well, we are tempting to submit all three (AOS, EAD and AP) applications at the same time. do you think it's wise to do so? Fiona doesn't plan to work for at least another 5,6 months; and she doesn't mind staying here with me, not going back to China for another 6 to 8 months. i read somewhere on this forum that both EAD and AP expire after a year. so base on your experience and knowledge, what should Fiona and I do? should we wait?

you guys supported me throughout the whole I-127F process. thanks very much!

You can either not apply and wait for the green card, or you can apply now for free. Doesn't seem like a very difficult choice to me.

It has only been a few months since they began the new policy, but the way I read the directions is that you can renew (as needed) each year for free.

You can and should file them all at same time, they are handled by different departments so won't affect each other.

im still unaware how the new AP / EAD works with the new system.

i thought it was all in a package and you had unlimited so you didnt have to refile every year.

i do know though not to automatically think that your AOS will take 6-8 months. it might if your lucky but then on the other hand it might take longer. we filed september 06 and still are waiting.

Note you still have to renew EAD every year while waiting for AOS, the change is that there is no additional fee needed to renew EAD and AP.

so its free now to file AP and EAD?

or i should say its part of the package?

unless you didnt pay the 1000 to file 485

and when you renew EAD?

so if this is the case i would think we should only buy EAD and AP one more time for 340 some odd and that new one would be free to renew.

i guess thats in a perfect world :)

Edited by izus (see edit history)

thanks all for replying!

I have a follow up question:

let's say we are applying for the AP right now (along with AOS). it's 11/07. let's assume we get our AP approved in 01/08. as folks are saying, the AP is valid for a year. so our original AP will expire in 01/09.

let's assume again that Fiona and I don't get a chance to go back to China at all in 2008. by the Chinese New year rolls around in 09, she decides to go back. but at that point, the (original) AP's already expired. with that in mind, we apply for AP renewal (probably a couple of months earlier).

ok, that's my scenario. my question would be, should we be better off wait to apply for AP until, say 04/08? that way, we will get our (original) AP in 06/08 and it won't expire until 06/09. so for our new year trip in 09, we will only need to apply for AP once, rather than applying for it and not use it then renew?

by the way, does anyone know how long the renewal process would take? someone mentioned that the EAD renewal takes about 6 months. what about AP renewal process?

thanks again!

thanks all for replying!

I have a follow up question:

let's say we are applying for the AP right now (along with AOS). it's 11/07. let's assume we get our AP approved in 01/08. as folks are saying, the AP is valid for a year. so our original AP will expire in 01/09.

let's assume again that Fiona and I don't get a chance to go back to China at all in 2008. by the Chinese New year rolls around in 09, she decides to go back. but at that point, the (original) AP's already expired. with that in mind, we apply for AP renewal (probably a couple of months earlier).

ok, that's my scenario. my question would be, should we be better off wait to apply for AP until, say 04/08? that way, we will get our (original) AP in 06/08 and it won't expire until 06/09. so for our new year trip in 09, we will only need to apply for AP once, rather than applying for it and not use it then renew?

by the way, does anyone know how long the renewal process would take? someone mentioned that the EAD renewal takes about 6 months. what about AP renewal process?

thanks again!

They pretty much get either done within 60 to 90 days.

Yes, your plan would work, and maybe save a little anxiety about whether it would come in in time. Just include a copy of the I-485 I-797 notice (NOA1) with your AP application

and when you renew EAD?

so if this is the case i would think we should only buy EAD and AP one more time for 340 some odd and that new one would be free to renew.

Yes EAD/AP are included in the $1010 fee for AOS, and no additional fee paid when renewing.

If AOS was filed for before July 30 2007, then fee for EAD is $340, and is $340 to renew, same goes with AP.

and when you renew EAD?

Yes EAD/AP are included in the $1010 fee for AOS, and no additional fee paid when renewing.

If AOS was filed for before July 30 2007, then fee for EAD is $340, and is $340 to renew, same goes with AP.

we just filed for our second EAD for 340 bucks...

what happens if we still dont have our GC by a year from now.

do we pay another 340 bucks?

or does the one i already bought for 340 get renewed for free ?

and when you renew EAD?

You pay another $340

and when you renew EAD?

i guess thats in a perfect world ^_^

You pay another $340

figures...

so the folks that filed after the change is getting the better deal, unless ofcourse they get their GC when they are suppose to get it

Edited by izus (see edit history)

figures...

so the folks that filed after the change is getting the better deal, unless ofcourse they get their GC when they are suppose to get it

Actually not so, for most AOS takes less than 1 year but rarely more than 2.

We filed for AOS this past may, and got away with the $295 fee for AOS only, but if was going to go long, then $295+$340 is still less than $1010.

figures...

We filed for AOS this past may, and got away with the $295 fee for AOS only, but if was going to go long, then $295+$340 is still less than $1010.

AOS I-485 fee used to be $325+$70 for fingerprints is $395.

But $395 AOS fee + $170 for AP + $180 for EAD, and then $340 for EAD renewal comes to $1085 at the one year point. And then up from there the longer USCIS takes.

There are plenty of us in that boat.

figures...

AOS I-485 fee used to be $325+$70 for fingerprints is $395.

But $395 AOS fee + $170 for AP + $180 for EAD, and then $340 for EAD renewal comes to $1085 at the one year point. And then up from there the longer USCIS takes.

There are plenty of us in that boat.

I knew it ended in 95, yep $395 paid.