Waiting for SSN

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that changing to a married name is one of the "free" duplicates you can order.

This is true. Bing and I went to the SSA office last monday to get her a card that doesn't have the valid with work authorization on it. I asked her if it counted towards the 10 lifetime limit and she said "no, it is like changing a married name"

I think that changing to a married name is one of the "free" duplicates you can order.

This is true. Bing and I went to the SSA office last monday to get her a card that doesn't have the valid with work authorization on it. I asked her if it counted towards the 10 lifetime limit and she said "no, it is like changing a married name"

im not gonna screw with her married name thats printed on the SS until we get through with AOS

So Christine just called to tell me that a letter from the SSA just came in the mail today. It was a recieipt letter saying that our application had been received and we should be getting the card within two weeks. I figured she'd be happy. But no, she could only say "Why they no send me the card?" Sigh...

It sounds like more or less aduplicate of the receipt letter we got on the day we applied. Why would they send us this letter? Did anyone else get this letter? Seems like I remember others saying they just got the card,not a receipt letter.

I'm guessing that if we go to the SSA office they can at least tell us what the number is?

I'm guessing that if we go to the SSA office they can at least tell us what the number is?

When we tried that they wouldn't tell us the number ... but who knows what will happen when you ask!

Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!

They told us we could come back in 2 days to find out the number, but we didn't.

When we tried that they wouldn't tell us the number ... but who knows what will happen when you ask!

Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!

They told us we could come back in 2 days to find out the number, but we didn't.

Had you received the receipt letter at that point? Or was it when you applied?

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!

Yes - when we applied. They said it only took a day or 2 to generate the number, but that the card would take 2 weeks.

Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!

Yes - when we applied. They said it only took a day or 2 to generate the number, but that the card would take 2 weeks.

So it sounds like they generate the number quickly but may or may not tell us what it is, based on your and Jim's conflicting experiences.

I guess it comes down to being at the mercy of the particular local office.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)
So Christine just called to tell me that a letter from the SSA just came in the mail today. It was a recieipt letter saying that our application had been received and we should be getting the card within two weeks. I figured she'd be happy. But no, she could only say "Why they no send me the card?" Sigh...

It sounds like more or less aduplicate of the receipt letter we got on the day we applied. Why would they send us this letter? Did anyone else get this letter? Seems like I remember others saying they just got the card,not a receipt letter.

Just got the card in 4 business days from the application. No other letter was received. (Illinois too).

Just got the card in 4 business days from the application. No other letter was received. (Illinois too).

We obviously went to the wrong office. :romantic:

We obviously went to the wrong office. ^_^

PM me if you want to know where we went.

We just did our SSN application and we used her married name. Just showed passport and marriage license. Things when smoothly no confusion. The woman said we should have the card in 5 days.

We just did our SSN application and we used her married name. Just showed passport and marriage license. Things when smoothly no confusion. The woman said we should have the card in 5 days.

Utterly different from our experience today...we received three different stories from the SSA.

The first office to which we went, said that she could not apply because her visa was expired. After I explained that the visa was expired for entry, but that she is permitted a 90 day stay, the officer pointed to the mark Immigration made and said, "See? they crossed it out. That means it's invalid."

"Yes, it's a single entry visa, and she's entered. Of course it'll be crossed off."

So then she took all of our paperwork (birth cert & translation, passport, K-1 visa, I-94, marriage certificate, and my driver's license) and went back for a while. She returned and told us that Bobbie would need her EAD or green card to apply for a SSN and told us to come back.

So we went to a different office; on the way, I called the SSA's 800 number. After fighting with the automated system which repeatedly asks for the SSN of the person you're calling about, I finally spoke with a live person. He said that a K-1 is immediately eligible, just bring all the documentation available to the local office and they'll process it, would I like the address? *sigh*

Arriving at the next office, we spoke with an officer who told us that Bobbie would have to get CIS to change the name on her visa (since I suggested she apply with her married name) in order to process the SSN application. Oy.

We're going to a third office tomorrow...it'll probably be the fourth story we hear. :o