Waiting for SSN

We filed for a SSN on Nov.1 and still haven't gotten it. My wife is a little anxious and a little pissed. She didn't like the looks of the lady who took our application and thinks she may have misplaced it on purpose. :D

Anyway, she wants to go back to the office this week and ask them why we haven't received it yet. Being the obedient hubby that I am, I told her we would despite the fact that after 30 days we can just go and apply for another one anyway. I would rather just wait because we ended up applying for the first one in her Chinese name instead of her married name due to confusion on my part. So even if we get the original one, we'll be taking to get the name changed to her married name. I'm actually hoping we don't get it so we can avoid the confusion of a name change.

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the SSA office will even be able to tell us anything about why we haven't gotten the card yet? Is it a waste of time? If we don't get it and go to a different office to re-apply in a different name than the first one, could that potentially cause a problem if the first card shows up in the meantime?

I think I'm stuck going to the office to inquire about the first card unless someone here has personal knowledge that we definitely won't be able to get any specific information from them. But could we make things worse if we turn around Monday (after 30 days) and re-apply in a different name?

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I take everything SSA with a grain of salt, here's what happened to us.

We applied for the SS card. It didn't come. As we were still living in a post-divorce ghetto apartment I suspect it was stolen.

The local SSA office said they could do nothing until 30 days elapsed.

After 30 days we went back to the SSA office, they ordered another card, and told us that this would count as one of the ten lifetime losses of a SS card that one is allowed. :angry:

The new card arrived in 5 days.

I think you'll have a problem if you go to a new office and make another "initial application" for a SS card in her married name. Once you apply the actual SS number stays the same no matter if "you" lose it, change your name, what ever ...

Although I take everything SSA with a grain of salt, here's what happened to us.

We applied for the SS card. It didn't come. As we were still living in a post-divorce ghetto apartment I suspect it was stolen.

After 30 days we went back to the SSA office, they ordered another card, and told us that this would count as one of the ten lifetime losses of a SS card that one is allowed. :angry:

I think you'll have a problem if you go to a new office and make another "initial application" for a SS card in her married name. Once you apply the actual SS number stays the same no matter if "you" lose it, change your name, what ever ...

Thanks Jim.

So do you think we can go to another office and say we haven't received the initial card and would like another one but with a different name? Or are we stuck with the original office and the original name?

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

After 30 days we went back to the SSA office, they ordered another card, and told us that this would count as one of the ten lifetime losses of a SS card that one is allowed. :lol:

Thanks Jim.

So do you think we can go to another office and say we haven't received the initial card and would like another one but with a different name? Or are we stuck with the original office and the original name?

I think that changing to a married name is one of the "free" duplicates you can order.

After 30 days we went back to the SSA office, they ordered another card, and told us that this would count as one of the ten lifetime losses of a SS card that one is allowed. :lol:

Thanks Jim.

I think that changing to a married name is one of the "free" duplicates you can order.

Even if we haven't technically gotten the first one yet?

Thanks Jim.

That's a duplicate. But if they don't have a number on file, that would mean that they never sent out the original. Either way, it should count as just one.

After 30 days we went back to the SSA office, they ordered another card, and told us that this would count as one of the ten lifetime losses of a SS card that one is allowed. :)

Thanks Jim.

That's a duplicate. But if they don't have a number on file, that would mean that they never sent out the original. Either way, it should count as just one.

Thanks Randy.

it took over 3 months for ours to arrive

Did you go to the SSA and ask about it?

yeah after like 45 days we went back.

and they said that B1 licenses could not get social security numbers...

i was like what? look again this is not a B license!

she showed me where the hand written license kind of looked like a B (buiness) i blew a gasket and asked to speak with someone with more knowledge about K1

i quickly pointed out her actual K1 visa which had expired about 2 weeks prior.

i think i read somewhere that you should wait when she gets here to actually file for social, not file immeadiatly...so we waited for 45 days.

it was a mess!

You can go to the office and ask them for the number that is assigned to her. I don't know if you have to turn in the old card to get the married card these days post 9/11 issues.

If you live in a multi family unit, make sure her name (exact name the card will be issued in) is on the mailbox, inside and out. Even if you live in a single family home, again, make sure her name is on the mailbox, inside and out (exact name the card will be issued in).

All it takes is a seasonal worker with an attitude to send back mail as undeliverable because he/she does not see a correct name match on the mailbox, regardless of how many times in the past it has not happened.

You can go to the office and ask them for the number that is assigned to her. I don't know if you have to turn in the old card to get the married card these days post 9/11 issues.

If you live in a multi family unit, make sure her name (exact name the card will be issued in) is on the mailbox, inside and out. Even if you live in a single family home, again, make sure her name is on the mailbox, inside and out (exact name the card will be issued in).

All it takes is a seasonal worker with an attitude to send back mail as undeliverable because he/she does not see a correct name match on the mailbox, regardless of how many times in the past it has not happened.

no no, this happened a year ago, she has her SS i was just telling Dave what happened.

thanks though :ok:

I think it's fine to go to another office and do whatever you like as long as you 'fess up that you've already filed once, didn't get the card, and are now past 30 days.

But it's the SSA and they are well known at local levels for making up the rules as they go along.

Yeah, I'll explain what we've done so far. We'll see what their reaction is. At least going to a different office will hopefully put Christine's mind at ease.

Thanks Jim

it took over 3 months for ours to arrive

Did you go to the SSA and ask about it?

yeah after like 45 days we went back.

and they said that B1 licenses could not get social security numbers...

i was like what? look again this is not a B license!

she showed me where the hand written license kind of looked like a B (buiness) i blew a gasket and asked to speak with someone with more knowledge about K1

i quickly pointed out her actual K1 visa which had expired about 2 weeks prior.

i think i read somewhere that you should wait when she gets here to actually file for social, not file immeadiatly...so we waited for 45 days.

it was a mess!

Yikes! That's a new one. B1? It'd be funny if it wasn't so stupid and such an inconvenience.

We waited two weeks after she got here before filing. Maybe that was too soon. Who knows with these people.