I-485 Questions

Jianhong and her daughter are here in the USA (finally) and we are married (yippie). Now I am filling out the I-485. Oh man.....just when I thought the paperwork jungle was behind me I realize that I wasn't even HALF WAY through. Paperwork reduction act my ass!

Oh well.....few quick questions.....

1. Nonimmigrant Visa Number. I'm assuming this is the number from the little blue paper that they tucked in their passports when they entered the USA. It has form I-94 printed on it. Is this correct?

2. What status did you last enter? I'm assuming I should write K1 for Jianhong (my wife) and K2 on her daughter's I-485. Is this correct?

3. Were you inspected by a US Immigration Officer? What is this question asking? Inspected in what way? Medically? Bags searched when she arrived? Or do they just want to know if she entered the country legally and passed through immigration at LAX when her plane arrived?

I'm a little disappointed in the system. I kind of assumed after she passed her interview in Guangzhou that we'd get some kind of a paper saying "here is what you need to do next". When we didn't I figured, "Oh well, they will give this to her when she enters the country." They did not. Thank gawd for forums such as this. Otherwise I would have NO CLUE what to do next.

1. http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/albums/Immigration/Visa/visa_after_entry.jpg

2. K-1

3. YES that was the officer at the POE.

If Jianhong wishes to take your family name as hers after marriage don't forget to fill out the 485 with that name vice her maiden name. If you K2 daughter wishes to change her name please see my ongoing thread on that in the AOS section.

Lastly, don't forget to file a G-28 with the AOS documents so you can represent your girls in phone calls, interviews, etc.

1. Look on the visa.. should be in red.. NOT the control number.

2. K1 will do.

3. Yes.

take a look at our AOS FAQ in links and resources...

Would K-1 also be listed on the 1st page in answer to the question "CURRENT USCIS STATUS:" ? Or something else? Or leave blank?

If Jianhong wishes to take your family name as hers after marriage don't forget to fill out the 485 with that name vice her maiden name. If you K2 daughter wishes to change her name please see my ongoing thread on that in the AOS section.

Lastly, don't forget to file a G-28 with the AOS documents so you can represent your girls in phone calls, interviews, etc.

Wow - good tip about the G-28. I took a look at the form. It seems geared toward attorneys. So I assume I check other. What do I list for the explanation?

Wow - good tip about the G-28. I took a look at the form. It seems geared toward attorneys. So I assume I check other. What do I list for the explanation?

Yes "Other". For explanation I put down "Husband/step father acting as representative during adjustment of status".

I haven't had any problems using this form but recently another CFLr had the IO at an InfoPass appointment say the form was only for lawyers ... obviously not true if you read it. I've asked that some of our ace researchers try to find a cite we can use on this in USCIS regulations but no luck as yet.