advice needed for filing K-3, thanks

Hi all, I am new here. I have read a lot of the posts here and are very impressed. This is a great site!! People are very nice and helpful, helping each other going through this most difficult journey in our life. I need some suggestions. I have already filed I-130 with CIS and am still waitig for NOA1, which seems to take forever. Anyway, I would like to know if I should also file for K-3. Reading through the posts here, I found most people filed their K-3 to get their spouses here from China and hardly anyone filed for IR-1 or CR-1 only. I don't know why. Is it that Guangzhou process K-3 faster than IR-1 or CR-1 ? I know CIS nowadays approve 2 petitions together, so there is not much time difference here. I just want to see which is faster. Thank you.

Welcome to Candle, swallow88

The intent of the K3 visa, when it was created under the LIFE Act, was to bring families together sooner while enduring the intensly long wait for the immigrant visa (IV), IR or CR. This applied mainly to family members of lawful permanent residents, LPRs, who had to wait for a visa number to become available which could make the wait many years to come depending on the visa catagory the applicants fell under.

Being as such, United States Citizens, USC's, could take advantage of this new K3 visa to bring their family members to the United States but unlike LPR's, USC visa applicants didn't have to wait for a visa number to become available therefore making it much quicker for them to come to the United States.

There was a time, in GZ, that the K3 was the quicker way to go but in the past few years that has diminished. Currently, with the procedural changes at the USCIS and the new I-824, the K3 has lost alot of it's prestige and petitioning for the IV is just as quick as petitioning for the K3. That may change one day however, making the K3 a popular choice again but currently the IV visa seems the way to proceed.

I hope this explains it to you a little. If I were currently petitioning for a visa, the IR1/CR1 would be the way I would proceed. The benefits are much better than the K3. The K3 only shortened the wait time but that doesn't apply lately in GZ.

You may think otherwise but that's the way it is.

-good luck

The intent of the K3 visa, when it was created under the LIFE Act, was to bring families together sooner while enduring the intensly long wait for the immigrant visa (IV), IR or CR. This applied mainly to family members of lawful permanent residents, LPRs, who had to wait for a visa number to become available which could make the wait many years to come depending on the visa catagory the applicants fell under.

Being as such, United States Citizens, USC's, could take advantage of this new K3 visa to bring their family members to the United States but unlike LPR's, USC visa applicants didn't have to wait for a visa number to become available therefore making it much quicker for them to come to the United States.

There was a time, in GZ, that the K3 was the quicker way to go but in the past few years that has diminished. Currently, with the procedural changes at the USCIS and the new I-824, the K3 has lost alot of it's prestige and petitioning for the IV is just as quick as petitioning for the K3. That may change one day however, making the K3 a popular choice again but currently the IV visa seems the way to proceed.

I hope this explains it to you a little. If I were currently petitioning for a visa, the IR1/CR1 would be the way I would proceed. The benefits are much better than the K3. The K3 only shortened the wait time but that doesn't apply lately in GZ.

-good luck

Thank you very much, tywy99. Very informative!!! I will definitely think twice before I make any decision.

-good luck

Thank you very much, tywy99. Very informative!!! I will definitely think twice before I make any decision.

You're welcome, swallow88

If you want my advice, stick to the immigrant visa. The difference in time is not worth messing with the K3 these days. At one time, the K3 visa was faster, and was the popular choice but that is no longer the case. These days, the time is about the same, defeating the purpose of the K3 visa.

With the immigrant visa, the applicant will have a green card upon entering into the United States. No waisting time and money on AOS when you go K3.

-good luck