Does bank check expires?

All the more reason to send a USPS money order. They never expire. And I don't want my case "suspended" and no telling how long it will take for the CIS to contact you to let you know not only that your check expired but your case has been suspended until payment is received and/or further notice

No thank you. I much rather play it safe. use USPS money orders :ph34r:

They only do this if the bank bounces the check - in other words, this is VERY unlikely to happen.

There's a BIG difference between an expired check and a check that bounced!

If it bounces, then they should file your case; in the circular file cabinet! :angry:

If the check is RETURNED, it is "bounced". They do not send you your check back unless the bank RETURNS it.

When USCIS receives notice that your check has expired, we will notify you and suspend processing on your case. You will be given an opportunity to send a new check at the original filing rate and filing date to resume processing of your application. USCIS will contact you if your check has been returned to us because it is beyond the expiration date.

All the more reason to send a USPS money order. They never expire. And I don't want my case "suspended" and no telling how long it will take for the CIS to contact you to let you know not only that your check expired but your case has been suspended until payment is received and/or further notice

No thank you. I much rather play it safe. use USPS money orders :ph34r:

They only do this if the bank bounces the check - in other words, this is VERY unlikely to happen.

There's a BIG difference between an expired check and a check that bounced!

If it bounces, then they should file your case; in the circular file cabinet! :angry:

If the check is RETURNED, it is "bounced". They do not send you your check back unless the bank RETURNS it.

When USCIS receives notice that your check has expired, we will notify you and suspend processing on your case. You will be given an opportunity to send a new check at the original filing rate and filing date to resume processing of your application. USCIS will contact you if your check has been returned to us because it is beyond the expiration date.

Then praytell, tell me why it "bounced", or was "returned", as you so casually put it? Correct me if I'm wrong but usually when a check "bounces", it's because of "insufficient funds", or in other words, you haven't got a dime in your checking account, as I so casually put it.

Besides, I never heard of a personal check that expires and I've written thousands of them over the years. I never seen an expiration date on my "pretty rainbow" color checks. :P

Edited by tywy_99 (see edit history)

Then praytell, tell me why it "bounced", or was "returned", as you so casually put it? Correct me if I'm wrong but usually when a check "bounces", it's because of "insufficient funds", or in other words, you haven't got a dime in your checking account, as I so casually put it.

Besides, I never heard of a personal check that expires and I've written thousands of them over the years. I never seen an expiration date on my "pretty rainbow" color checks. :ph34r:

Is there anything you are disagreeing with? The whole topic here is about the possibility of a check being "bounced" or returned because it expired. I call that "bounced".

I am also saying that this is very unlikely. If they notice a date that is too old, they're likely to assume it was a typo by the checkwriter.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Besides, I never heard of a personal check that expires and I've written thousands of them over the years. I never seen an expiration date on my "pretty rainbow" color checks. :blink:

Is there anything you are disagreeing with? The whole topic here is about the possibility of a check being "bounced" or returned because it expired. I call that "bounced".

I am also saying that this is very unlikely. If they notice a date that is too old, they're likely to assume it was a typo by the checkwriter.

Whenever I "bounced" a check, it wasn't because of some "expiration" date, which I never heard of being on a personal check.

Maybe on a corporate check where they are hiring scores of immigrant workers but not on a personal check which I think is what most people would use, except for money orders. Do you have an expiration date on your personal checks? If so, then I suggest finding a different bank.

An expiration date on a personal check. That's absurd!

Someone else please explain it to him.

You didn't answer my question. My question was, Do you have an expiration date on your personal checks?

I don't and I never had. What kind of banks are you all dealing with that has expiration dates on your personal checks??? Again, That's absurd! :blink:

You didn't answer my question. My question was, Do you have an expiration date on your personal checks?

I don't and I never had. What kind of banks are you all dealing with that has expiration dates on your personal checks??? Again, That's absurd! :blink:

I used to have my social security number on mine until they quit doing that a couple of years ago.

And then there's your routing and account number and, of course, the check number.

But never an expiration number, (i mean date.) ;)

You write a date on the check in the upper right hand corner. It is supposed to expire after 6 months or 1 year (whatever the expiration period is). The bank MAY return it for that reason.

You and I are both aware that this rarely to never happens.

You write a date on the check in the upper right hand corner. It is supposed to expire after 6 months or 1 year (whatever the expiration period is). The bank MAY return it for that reason.

You and I are both aware that this rarely to never happens.

Oh, I see now; a written date. Yes, when would that ever happen and certainly it wouldn't be of any fault to the writer of the check. I thought it was a printed date on the check that was being asked about which I never heard of.

My wife mailed her N-400 in early August but still haven't receive any receipt. It probably due to large volume prior to increased fees. She used a bank check. Below the USCIS mentioned that it is in the mailroom and not processed. Furthermore the fee has not been deposited. Doesn't the check expire after 3 months?

Oh, I get it now, Ty. I hope you didn't think I was being evasive there. I didn't understand where you were coming from.

The check can "expire" if the USCIS waits too long to deposit it. I think it's pretty much up to bank policy as to whether they honor the expiration (by bouncing or returning the check) and shouldn't really be a concern.

But if someone is worried about what might go wrong with their application, it is a valid concern that the USCIS has addressed with that page that someone posted a link to.

Again, it's based only on the date written in the upper right hand corner by the check-writer.

That's really all I can tell you. I have heard of the expiration policy, but I have never heard of a check bouncing because of it.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Here's a link to a little discussion about check expiration.

http://www.superpages.com/supertips/cash-a...onal-check.html

Thanks for the interesting link, Randy.

You know, I never really given it any thought about how long after the written date, a check is good for because I never had one go any length of time without being cashed, but that is a legitimate concern, I suppose. However, most should honor a check and cash it within a reasonable amout of time and most do. I would take it as irresponsible on an agency like the USCIS to hold on to a check for any considerable, or unreasonable amount of time and they should be held accountable for it should the check bounce.

I understand it now. Thanks