DCF - I-130 turned in... unanswered questions?

Hello,

Long time lurker...

Great website, has been very helpful.

I dropped off the I-130 and other forms to the USCIS office in Guangzhou. I have lived in China for over a year.

I had some questions but they were so busy, i didn't get a chance to ask them. So I thought perhaps someone here might have some answers for me.

First thing, they didn't want the things listed on the I-130. Like the evidence of bona fide relationship. She just gave it all right back to me, that was the hardest part... :P

Any estimates on how long it takes until what happens next? And what happens next? Will I get something in the mail?

Anything I can do until then? Should I be preparing anything?

The person who looked over my forms before leaving to guangzhou said that my wife must come with me. Turns out she couldn't even enter the 5th floor. Does she need to attend next time? Do I? I don't care for the bus ride from Nanning.

Thanks!

Randy

About 6 weeks from now you will get a confirmation letter in the mail. A few weeks after that your wife will get an appointment letter. You need to get together all the documents listed. First off, you have been living in China for 2 years. You must prove domicile in the US. Utility bills, voter registration, or a house in the US will do. Since you were out of the US for so long you need to show that you have intended to return. Next, you need to get you wife's, birth certificate,a police report, her passport and all the other required documents that it states on the form. The big issue for you is to make sure that you can prove that you make enough money. Do not you need a sponsor? You are working in China, so there is is good chance you don't make enough money. Get your past income tax returns for the past 3 years. Did you file for the years you were working in China? Yes you still needed to file, this can be an issue if you did not file in the last few years. Finally, you need to have all the evidence that you can get that your relationship, and your marriage are genuine. Lease, wedding photos, bank amounts....everything. Make sure you have a notarized translation of your marriage certificate.

US domicile and IRS returns are 2 major issues for DCF CR-1 petitions, if you abandoned US domicile, AND/OR have not filed IRS return, you want to take care of this NOW.

SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=27110&hl=

A requirement for the interview is you the petitioner MUST provide a I-864, the I-864 REQUIRES US Domicile and IRS returns, or a very good reason you failed to file a return, (US citizens may be exempt from paying tax on foreign income, not exempt from filing a return)

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Just to let you know, it's probably good that you didn't get a chance to ask your questions when you filed... The workers often don't know the answers and might mislead you...

You don't need the evidence of the bonifide relationship until your SO has her interview...

Many Chinese don't have a birth certificate, so you probably don't need it (my wife didn't).... I'm don't think she even needed the police background check.

As dnoblett said, if you haven't been filing your tax returns, get that taken care of now. I hadn't been. All I did was download the forms for the missing years, fill them out and mail the to the IRS. If you don't owe anything, you don't need to worry, just get it done. If you need a sponser, make sure you have that lined up. I used my parents. We had no problems...

You can see my timeline below. From start to finish was about it took me about 8 months... Yeah, about 6 weeks later, you will get a letter saying that it's being processed and sent to GUZ

Just wanted to say thanks for the information!

I'm sure I haven't made enough money. And since I did cut and run from the USA, selling my house and putting my posessions in storage, I see I need to build a case for residence. And I need to file taxes!

Thanks!

Randy

I'm sure I haven't made enough money. And since I did cut and run from the USA, selling my house and putting my posessions in storage, I see I need to build a case for residence. And I need to file taxes!

Thanks!

Randy

Did you at least maintain things like US bank accounts, vote in elections, state ID like a driver's license, get mail your mail sent to an address like a parent's home, a place you can claim as domicile? You need to show that you can continue supporting your spouse after arrival in the USA, job offers are good.

Domicile is a big issue, with out it you cannot file I-864, NO I-864, then NO visa and NO Green-Card. Guangzhou takes this issue very seriously.

Get cracking on establishing domicile before the interview, move back to the states before the interview if you have to. This is something you want to do ASAP.

SEE Steve and Ying's posts: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=304525

They also had a hard time at overcome.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=27181&hl=

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

Randy

Did you at least maintain things like US bank accounts, vote in elections, state ID like a driver's license, get mail your mail sent to an address like a parent's home, a place you can claim as domicile? You need to show that you can continue supporting your spouse after arrival in the USA, job offers are good.

Domicile is a big issue, with out it you cannot file I-864, NO I-864, then NO visa and NO Green-Card. Guangzhou takes this issue very seriously.

Get cracking on establishing domicile before the interview, move back to the states before the interview if you have to. This is something you want to do ASAP.

SEE Steve and Ying's posts: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=304525

They also had a hard time at overcome.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=27181&hl=

Thanks for the info!

Yes, I did maintain my bank account. I do have my mail forwarded to my parents home. Didn't vote, but stilll have my drivers license. I am planning on staying with my parents when I get back, their house is pretty big. What should I do to prove that? have my dad write a letter?

I had my sister write and sign a letter saying she would give me a job at her restuarant. She wrote she will pay me 15$ an hour, should put me above povert line.

I don't really understand this co-sponsor business... I have been reading and I don't understand what it entails. I have a lot of family, I am sure they will help me however I need it. Is there a co-sponsor form? How do you declare it?

I have been reading Steve and Ying's posts, quite extensive reading. So where are they at now? Scares me to read them though! My experiences have been great in comparison. Seems to me that they have been like the DMV. Slow, rude and expensive. But hopefully they still continue to do their jobs and not start the ego-trip they have with Steve and Ying. Wish I could do something to help. Perhaps we could all write letters?

Thanks for all the previous input and input yet to come!

Randy

Edited by RandEE (see edit history)

Thanks for the info!

Yes, I did maintain my bank account. I do have my mail forwarded to my parents home. Didn't vote, but stilll have my drivers license. I am planning on staying with my parents when I get back, their house is pretty big. What should I do to prove that? have my dad write a letter?

I had my sister write and sign a letter saying she would give me a job at her restuarant. She wrote she will pay me 15$ an hour, should put me above povert line.

I don't really understand this co-sponsor business... I have been reading and I don't understand what it entails. I have a lot of family, I am sure they will help me however I need it. Is there a co-sponsor form? How do you declare it?

I have been reading Steve and Ying's posts, quite extensive reading. So where are they at now? Scares me to read them though! My experiences have been great in comparison. Seems to me that they have been like the DMV. Slow, rude and expensive. But hopefully they still continue to do their jobs and not start the ego-trip they have with Steve and Ying. Wish I could do something to help. Perhaps we could all write letters?

Thanks for all the previous input and input yet to come!

Randy

In the case of an immigrant visa you can use a Joint-Sponsor, typically family, they will fill out an I-864, and provide financial evidence to show that they will support the immigrant too. You are primary sponsor and provide an I-864 and the joint-sponsor provides an I-864.

SEE: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the info, I am currently wrapping up all my paperwork for the next part...

Just have a few questions:

First off, how long should it take before I get notice?

I dropped off my paperwork on September 21st. so it has been 7 weeks now, just curious when to expect it.

So I am going to use my mother for my joint sponser, and since I will my wife and I will be living with her, She will fill out the I-864a form, does that sound right? Also, How can she fill that out? Does she need to get it notarized? Does it need to be physically sent from the US? or will a scan be okay?

My 2006 taxes are finished and being sent in.

I am working on domicile information.

Are there any more forms? Or any other paperwork I should prepare?

Also... do you know of a way to check status.. Is there a place online or something? I see people say "touched" but I have no idea how they know that...

Thanks again, you guys have been a lifesaver.

Randy

Edited by RandEE (see edit history)

Thanks again for all the info, I am currently wrapping up all my paperwork for the next part...

Just have a few questions:

I dropped off my paperwork on September 21st. so it has been 7 weeks now, just curious when to expect it.

So I am going to use my mother for my joint sponser, and since I will my wife and I will be living with her, She will fill out the I-864a form, does that sound right? Also, How can she fill that out? Does she need to get it notarized? Does it need to be physically sent from the US? or will a scan be okay?

My 2006 taxes are finished and being sent in.

I am working on domicile information.

Also... do you know of a way to check status.. Is there a place online or something? I see people say "touched" but I have no idea how they know that...

Thanks again, you guys have been a lifesaver.

Randy

Sounds like you have it under control.

There is no On-Line status checking due to USCIS not being involved, only petitions sent to USCIS have this option and only while USCIS is processing, after USCIS sends the petition on to Department of State on-line tracking stops.

There are alot of DCF timelines in the DCF FAQ... that would give some historical idea.

Have the original paper with original signature on hand. This will get turned in at the Interview 'check-in'...

The next step:

-your wife getting mailed the p3 papers... return what is required ASAP

-your wife getting the P4 papers... get the medical exam; bring all P4 papers to that; pay for the visa (you'll need the receipt to be put into the medical pickup... so do this before pickup).

- go to the interview; she does a check-in and then talks to a VO...

- if passed, she can pick up the visa in two working days at the post office.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

There are alot of DCF timelines in the DCF FAQ... that would give some historical idea.

Have the original paper with original signature on hand. This will get turned in at the Interview 'check-in'...

The next step:

-your wife getting mailed the p3 papers... return what is required ASAP

-your wife getting the P4 papers... get the medical exam; bring all P4 papers to that; pay for the visa (you'll need the receipt to be put into the medical pickup... so do this before pickup).

- go to the interview; she does a check-in and then talks to a VO...

- if passed, she can pick up the visa in two working days at the post office.

Hi David,

Just wondering, did they change it for a DCF so that you pay prior to the interview and have it included in the medical paperwork? I thought that was only true for a K-1 or K-3 not a DCF CR-1. Since this is a DCF as I remember the payment was made right after the interview was approved a the consulate. I know that back when we did it we paid at the interview after it was approved. I think this was because the cost was so high (I think it was like 2940 RMB back then but it is probably more now). We interviewed way back in 2000 but I hadn't heard that this had been changed since then, if you know that this has been changed I would like to know so I don't pass on incorrect information in the future.

Gale

Just wondering, did they change it for a DCF so that you pay prior to the interview and have it included in the medical paperwork? I thought that was only true for a K-1 or K-3 not a DCF CR-1. Since this is a DCF as I remember the payment was made right after the interview was approved a the consulate. I know that back when we did it we paid at the interview after it was approved. I think this was because the cost was so high (I think it was like 2940 RMB back then but it is probably more now). We interviewed way back in 2000 but I hadn't heard that this had been changed since then, if you know that this has been changed I would like to know so I don't pass on incorrect information in the future.

Gale

good catch... I'll need to start reading my own FAQ again... :rolleyes:

DCF FAQ:

Q.1.12 Issues related to P4 & I-864

A.1.12.1

1) DCF beneficiary¡¯s will pay the visa fee at the consulate.

P4 Letter:

"Applicant should prepare to pay (in cash) the Immigrant Visa Processing Fee...."