Where to travel in Asia......

If you want to stay our of big cities, I recommend Laos. It's very nice, and not too expensive... In a month, you can skim through 2 countries, like Laos and Cambodia, or Laos and Vietnam, or any combination...

My wife hates Vietnam, but I don't mind it... I also love Thailand. Chang Mai in the north is nice, as are some of the Islands... I love Cambodia. Angkor Wat is AMAZING... BUT, there are many great places in China...

If you will be teaching, you will have plenty of chances to travel. Every winter, you will get 4 to 6 weeks off (for the Spring Holiday). That's usually too short a time to get a part time job... In the summer, you will get 3 to 4 months off. Most teachers get summer jobs, but some also travel. On summer, I took 6 weeks and went to Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam... The previous winter, I spent 6 weeks in Thailand and Cambodia... I envy you... Right now, I am sitting in my cube at work, about to start a 9 hour day.

Hello, Thailand is nice. It can be rather inexpensive. Visiting an Elephant training camp in the north sounds dorky but it was great time. There is a large Chinatown in Bangkok, lots and lots of temples, and some nice beaches in the south. The weather is more tropical than Beijing. I have never been there yet but I have heard that Angor Wat is a place to visit. I don't think Japan has been mentioned yet. It is a bit more expensive but there are so many places to visit and things to see there. We went to Vietnam and last year. We went to Hanoi. That was interesting. I saw Vietnam for so many year only on the evening news. We also went to the Halong Bay area. That was interesting. It looked as if it was rapidly being developed as a tourist area. I think it is similar to the Guilin area but it is on the coast( and less expensive). Some people in the Hanoi said that the southern and central part of Vietnam was much nicer to visit and more developed as a tourist area. There is an another area in the north called Sapa. It is a world heritage destianation. Has anyone been there before? Happy traveling.

P.S. My girlfriend was able to get a passport for parts of Asia. It did not sound like that big of a deal.

These are exactly the types of answers I was looking for. I will start doing a little research.

Thanks for those who posted pictures too.

I am still interested in hearing other peoples do's and don'ts for travel :lol:

Joshua

I think the visa issues is different for different parts of china. We went to Thailand. My fiance is from the region down by thailand, Cambodia, she said that all she has to do is apply, pay and get medical check to get visa to Thailand but other parts of china has harder time. Like people in Beijing, Shanghai and GUZ area can get visa to hong kong with no problem, but for others in China much more work.

don

Guest Rob & Jin

If you want to stay our of big cities, I recommend Laos. It's very nice, and not too expensive... In a month, you can skim through 2 countries, like Laos and Cambodia, or Laos and Vietnam, or any combination...

My wife hates Vietnam, but I don't mind it... I also love Thailand. Chang Mai in the north is nice, as are some of the Islands... I love Cambodia. Angkor Wat is AMAZING... BUT, there are many great places in China...

If you will be teaching, you will have plenty of chances to travel. Every winter, you will get 4 to 6 weeks off (for the Spring Holiday). That's usually too short a time to get a part time job... In the summer, you will get 3 to 4 months off. Most teachers get summer jobs, but some also travel. On summer, I took 6 weeks and went to Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam... The previous winter, I spent 6 weeks in Thailand and Cambodia... I envy you... Right now, I am sitting in my cube at work, about to start a 9 hour day.

Yunnan gets my vote

http://i20.tinypic.com/a0uvlc.jpg

Guest Rob & Jin

http://i24.tinypic.com/2hoac7m.jpg

Edited by Rob & Jin (see edit history)