Questions about medical information/vaccinations for AOS procedures

Hi everyone. I am in the process of doing the AOS for my wife (K1). I have most of the paperwork ready and just a little shorthanded on the medical clearance/vaccination information. I am confused about what to do next as her situation is quite tricky. It is my understanding that if you don't have to undergo another physical if your physical is within a year when applying for AOS. She had her physical in April this year. So I believe the next step is to take the I-693 vaccination supplement to a civil surgeon and have them write it off, correct? Now my wife did not get any vaccination shots in China, so she does not have the yellow booklet. During the physical, she was told she did not need anything at "that" time, which I guess I should have told her to get the shots anyway as it is definately cheaper in China than in USA. The medical exam information as well as vaccination sheets that she was given after the approved visa interview was given to the immigration officer at POE, so she has no copy of it. The only type of vaccination document she has is a red type booklet (which is unfortunately still in China, but can be sent back here pretty fast) with vaccinations she took probably during childhood/infancy.

I was wondering can the shots be done at the civil surgeon office or at another location as well? And without any vaccination supplement or documentation, will the doctors know what to give them or else possibility of being over-vaccinated (if there is such a thing)? I am confused on what to do next. Thanks!

Edited by Tiger320 (see edit history)

Hi everyone. I am in the process of doing the AOS for my wife (K1). I have most of the paperwork ready and just a little shorthanded on the medical clearance/vaccination information. I am confused about what to do next as her situation is quite tricky. It is my understanding that if you don't have to undergo another physical if your physical is within a year when applying for AOS. She had her physical in April this year. So I believe the next step is to take the I-693 vaccination supplement to a civil surgeon and have them write it off, correct? Now my wife did not get any vaccination shots in China, so she does not have the yellow booklet. During the physical, she was told she did not need anything at "that" time, which I guess I should have told her to get the shots anyway as it is definately cheaper in China than in USA. The medical exam information as well as vaccination sheets that she was given after the approved visa interview was given to the immigration officer at POE, so she has no copy of it. The only type of vaccination document she has is a red type booklet (which is unfortunately still in China, but can be sent back here pretty fast) with vaccinations she took probably during childhood/infancy.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...tions&st=15

Do a search for vaccinations on candle (AOS)

Get the requires immunizations at a local public health clinic where they are often free or low cost. Normally she needs MMR (measles, mumps, & rubella), Varicella (chicken pox), and tetanus.

Look up civil surgeons on the USCIS website and shop around by telephone until you find one that will do the I-693a vaccination supplement for $50 or less.

They will seal the supplement in an envelope and give you a copy. The sealed envelope is submitted with your I-485.

Many civil surgeons will tell you that she needs a complete physical at hundreds of dollars cost. Don't believe them and check out the threads referenced above for more info.

Get the requires immunizations at a local public health clinic where they are often free or low cost. Normally she needs MMR (measles, mumps, & rubella), Varicella (chicken pox), and tetanus.

Look up civil surgeons on the USCIS website and shop around by telephone until you find one that will do the I-693a vaccination supplement for $50 or less.

They will seal the supplement in an envelope and give you a copy. The sealed envelope is submitted with your I-485.

Many civil surgeons will tell you that she needs a complete physical at hundreds of dollars cost. Don't believe them and check out the threads referenced above for more info.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the links guys. How do I know for absolute sureness which vaccinations she will need? She has no history of anything that I can think of. She is unsure of what she has had in the past (i.e. she has never had chickenpox, but does not remember if she took had chickenpox vaccination either).

Will either the local health clinic/civil surgeon have the necessary information to determine what she will need? And if so, which route is the better way to go? a health clinic vs civil surgeon?

I also noticed some vaccinations like MMR or Tetanus possibly require more than 1 series which would take some time. If my wife's K-1 I-94 is only valid until mid of October (Due to extremely busy marriage schedule in my city), how will the medical vaccination supplements be done by then? Are we ultimately doomed?

Either way, I will call around tomorrow or Monday to see if I can schedule in vaccinations as soon as possible. I want to send out the AOS and the only thing holding me back is the medical information.

Thanks again, everyone.

Edited by Tiger320 (see edit history)

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules...lt-schedule.htm

One series of shots is all that will be needed now . If you notice above Tetanus will take about 6 months for all 3 shots. . Just get 1st round. For chicken pox we had a blood test done as it was cheaper than shot. :angry: . Doctor said almost all people have had exsposure. I-94 has nothing to do with when you get shots. If you are a little late sending AOS it is not a big deal. I went to health department , $47.00 for MMR & TD. As yan was not married yet and was not on my health plan at work. Later we had blood test done by family doctor and Blue Cross paid for everything there. Family doctor can do everything for you if you desire.

civil surgeon locator....

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=of...office_type=CIV

Edited by lostinblue (see edit history)

Technically the Civil Surgeon decides what shots she needs. If you find one that says more than the three I mentioned, go to another CS.

The health clinic will charge MUCH less (if anything) than a CS for the shots.

The CS will usually sign off after being shown evidence (shot record) that the initial shots in a series have been given. I the CS will not sign ... find another one who will.

"Are we doomed?" Probably :angry: hehehe.

Technically the Civil Surgeon decides what shots she needs. If you find one that says more than the three I mentioned, go to another CS.

The health clinic will charge MUCH less (if anything) than a CS for the shots.

The CS will usually sign off after being shown evidence (shot record) that the initial shots in a series have been given. I the CS will not sign ... find another one who will.

"Are we doomed?" Probably :angry: hehehe.

The shots our civil surgeon where:

# Mumps, Measles, Rubella (MMR)

# Tetanus and diptheria toxoids

# Varicella

There are other vaccinations on the list, but they have to do with either the very young or old.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...tml#Vaccination

We had them done before leaving Guangzhou, and had a vaccination book that the civil surgeon just transfered the information from to the supplement sheet.

One series of shots is all that will be needed now . If you notice above Tetanus will take about 6 months for all 3 shots. . Just get 1st round. For chicken pox we had a blood test done as it was cheaper than shot. :cheering: . Doctor said almost all people have had exsposure. I-94 has nothing to do with when you get shots. If you are a little late sending AOS it is not a big deal. I went to health department , $47.00 for MMR & TD. As yan was not married yet and was not on my health plan at work. Later we had blood test done by family doctor and Blue Cross paid for everything there. Family doctor can do everything for you if you desire.

Well I just called several CS and made an appointment for them sometime later this week. They all said that we would need a series shot.. now would that delay the AOS? Could we only get the 1st series and will that work as far as signing the supplemental sheet? It was pretty pricy for the shots at the CS... about ~$300 (not sure if this was including maybe the "transfer fee")... I was wondering where I could find a list of local health or county department buildings that could probably do it for less and I could then take that record to the CS themselves. I guess the only way to check if my wife has had chickenpox vaccination is by a blood test cause she doesn't have any records except the ones that were in Chinese...?

*sigh* :cheering:

One series of shots is all that will be needed now . If you notice above Tetanus will take about 6 months for all 3 shots. . Just get 1st round. For chicken pox we had a blood test done as it was cheaper than shot. ;) . Doctor said almost all people have had exsposure. I-94 has nothing to do with when you get shots. If you are a little late sending AOS it is not a big deal. I went to health department , $47.00 for MMR & TD. As yan was not married yet and was not on my health plan at work. Later we had blood test done by family doctor and Blue Cross paid for everything there. Family doctor can do everything for you if you desire.

Well I just called several CS and made an appointment for them sometime later this week. They all said that we would need a series shot.. now would that delay the AOS? Could we only get the 1st series and will that work as far as signing the supplemental sheet? It was pretty pricy for the shots at the CS... about ~$300 (not sure if this was including maybe the "transfer fee")... I was wondering where I could find a list of local health or county department buildings that could probably do it for less and I could then take that record to the CS themselves. I guess the only way to check if my wife has had chickenpox vaccination is by a blood test cause she doesn't have any records except the ones that were in Chinese...?

*sigh* :)

Yes all are needed are the starting shots to get the supplement signed off. My Yu had the beginning of the series done before visiting the C.S. And yes get them done were ever it is less expensive, and then just take the record to the C.S.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

You are right about the health dept. After being quoted prices of excess $400.00 for shots and completed form, I called the health dept. and we go tomorrow for her first round of shots.....Cost? Nothing!!!!

Actually, I had another final (yes, last one hehe) question about varicella/chickenpox vaccination. My wife is unsure of she has either had varicella/chickenpox in the past as a child or either the vaccination. In either case, she needs to get another vaccination shot because we don't want to do the blood test (takes too long) to determine if she has immunity or not. We've tried to contact her parents and previous doctors to determine if she has had varicella/vaccination or not. It is my understanding that she may have NOT probably had chickenpox as a child and doing some research yields that in China, vaccinations for the chickenpox didn't come into public until 2003, so.. I guess she must have not had the vaccination either.

My question then is, is there any such thing as maybe overvaccination? Like for theoretical example, if she *DID* indeed have had either: the disease itself [or] the vaccination, will a vaccination again cause any harm (I've heard of autism or something crazy for the slightly paranoid like us) or anything?? Or is it harmless to vaccinate again either way? This is probably more of a health question than an immigration/AOS question. I do apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks.

Actually, I had another final (yes, last one hehe) question about varicella/chickenpox vaccination. My wife is unsure of she has either had varicella/chickenpox in the past as a child or either the vaccination. In either case, she needs to get another vaccination shot because we don't want to do the blood test (takes too long) to determine if she has immunity or not. We've tried to contact her parents and previous doctors to determine if she has had varicella/vaccination or not. It is my understanding that she may have NOT probably had chickenpox as a child and doing some research yields that in China, vaccinations for the chickenpox didn't come into public until 2003, so.. I guess she must have not had the vaccination either.

My question then is, is there any such thing as maybe overvaccination? Like for theoretical example, if she *DID* indeed have had either: the disease itself [or] the vaccination, will a vaccination again cause any harm (I've heard of autism or something crazy for the slightly paranoid like us) or anything?? Or is it harmless to vaccinate again either way? This is probably more of a health question than an immigration/AOS question. I do apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks.

No such thing as being over vaccinated, my wife Yu knew that she did not need chicken pox vaccination, but had no record, so just went and did it again while we were in Guangzhou.

If you already have immunity to the chicken pox, getting vaccinated again wont do anything, you are immune.

My wife went to a local public health department , they gave her a "yellow Vaccination" shot record after updating her vaccinations , we than went to the CS and a nurse transferred the vaccination shots and dates to the I 693A form and had the CS sign the form . I than took the I 693A to my green card interview appointment.

In the case of her 14 year old son, the Public Healthe Department took his Chinese red book record of shots and put them in the yellow shot record , updated his shots in the USA and the Civil Sergeon accepted the I 693A and signed.