A must read report for all those interested in details!

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments...onOps_Mar07.pdf

This is an absolute must read if you want to know all the details of what USCIS actually does from how your petition/application is received and how name checks are done and why there may be long delays. Make sure to read all of the footnotes as it's in the footnotes where all the juicy details reside!

I can't believe they've disclosed so much information. It answers everything you've ever wanted to know on why it takes USCIS such and such time to complete the processing of your submissions.

It's a bit long but well worth the reading.

This is an absolute must read if you want to know all the details of what USCIS actually does from how your petition/application is received and how name checks are done and why there may be long delays. Make sure to read all of the footnotes as it's in the footnotes where all the juicy details reside!

I can't believe they've disclosed so much information. It answers everything you've ever wanted to know on why it takes USCIS such and such time to complete the processing of your submissions.

Good find, Sir.

Very interesting Lance. Thank you !!

It lays out the weaknesses/inefficiencies in the current system, vs. where they want to be with the new proposed system. I am glad to see that they recognize the problematic areas and are working diligently to address them and build a system and process that can manage the current/projected workload, in a professional manner; while also increasing our national security.

Not sure if I saw a projected implementation date or not; however, conversion on this scale, including employee training, would have to be incremental and most likely would be phased in over many months??

I think most of us who have already filed and are now in the system, will not see most, or any of these procedural changes, which down the road, will make the system more efficient and responsive to all the stake holders.

I still hold to my personal view on how these cases are approached/profiled and handled. Come January or February, I will see if my perceptions, are indeed validated. ;)

I have a friend that works for the USCIS and he has told me a while back that changes were coming and due to take effect around the first of the year. He told me if I were to wait until then then things would go faster and easier for me. Of course I told him "no deal" on the wait. He also commented saying don't be surprised if things don't revert back to chaos as usual after a year or so. ;)

This hasn't even been implemented yet. This is pie in the sky. It will take them 5 years to set up, and another 5 to get the bugs out.

Then when the money is in the "LOCK BOX" it will be gone for more pork, just like the Social Security money.

I was a cop for to long to know how all this is going to transpire. This agency will fight this one for access to a data base. etc. etc.

Its a good system if it works, I am all for keeping the country safe and secure.

Thats why the hike in money, to pay for it all.

This is BIG GOVERNMENT at work.

This hasn't even been implemented yet. This is pie in the sky. It will take them 5 years to set up, and another 5 to get the bugs out.

Roger, BH is right about this report being a "concept" of what they want and intend to implement. It has NOT been implemented yet.

However, Sections 3 and 4 are about current practices and procedures. It describes in exquisite details about how everything is handled from the very moment your petition and application is received to how it's finally adjudicated. It is extremely detailed. If you read nothing else, read Sections 3 and 4. It's invaluable.

I actually believe DavidZ should directly incorporate Section 3 and 4 into the FAQ. :D

The report actually details exactly why certain things take so long and it actually reveals--through a lot of the footnoting--that USCIS is very aware of all their problems and customer complaints. They are addressed with this new system concept.

I had no idea how antiquated USCIS's information system actually was. Now that I have a better understanding of their entire system flow, I now believe they're actually doing a decent job given their antiquated system. Of course we all want it to be faster, but I don't think they actually can do it faster with the current paper based system.

BH is right about them taking several years for this to be implemented and I'm sure there will be corrections and changes as they implement the new concept, but this concept will be implemented. There is no turning back from overhauling the fundamental system to a paper-less system vs. the current very paper-based system.

Roger, don't expect to see any of these changes implemented for your current I-129F application. But if your wife eventually wants to be come a citizen and files the N-400 application, then these changes should be implemented by then and it will help your wife out. :)

Again folks, I highly recommend Sections 3 and 4 if you have no time to read all the others. It explains in painful detail every aspect of the entire system.

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)

Here's one more juicy report which was recently released.

CIS Ombudsman's 2007 Annual Report to Congress

http://www.dhs.gov/xabout/structure/gc_1183751418157.shtm

If you're not aware of the Ombudsman's Office, here is what they do:

http://www.dhs.gov/xabout/structure/editorial_0482.shtm

Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman

The Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman (CIS Ombudsman) provides recommendations for resolving individual and employer problems with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). As mandated by the Homeland Security Act of 2002 ¡ì 452, CISOMB is an independent DHS office that reports directly to the DHS Deputy Secretary. The CIS Ombudsman:

* Assists individuals and employers in resolving problems with USCIS;

* Identifies areas in which individuals and employers have problems in dealing with USCIS; and

* Proposes changes to mitigate identified problems.

I haven't had a chance to read this report yet, but I will. These reports are always filled with interesting tidbits of info. :)

Here's the personal message (intro) from the Ombudsman himself for the 2007 report:

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/cisomb_...07_1Message.pdf

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)
Guest Rob & Jin

Great post, very interesting to read this stuff.

I had a lot of great links to stuff like this a long time back. Over time, the links disappeared either through site changes or someone realizing just what was being made available.

Anytime you find something like this on a .gov website, download the stuff rather than save the link.

Interesting and wise observation Don.

I think that maybe some of this info gets posted onto the internet inadvertently and/or through clerical error ?? I had this in mind as I read some of that data included in Lance¡¯s posted link B)

It seems like the ombudsman office is pretty toothless. Every year I read this stuff and get hopes that things are progressing but the end result is pretty much the same. Cases arent getting processed much quicker, backlogs are still a problem, the FBI continues to leave people in name check limbo for years and you still get different answers depending on who you talk to. The biggest difference I see is a huge increase in fees.