Submitting AOS with missing docs

Ok, I'm missing two important docs for the AOS. One being my wife's medical records (i163 stuff), as she didn't do the shots in China.

We will eventually have the missing docs, but for now we're trying to submit everything so we can beat the deadline (she insists$$, but I don't care).

Well, after the her signature it says:

"Note: if you do not completely fill out this form or fail to submit required documents listed in the instructions, you may not be found eligible for the requested document and this application may be denied".

I was thinking that I can just submit what I have and if they want something else they will do an RFE, but this I485 seems much different than I130/I129f in that they clearly state the application might be denied. If so, then i'd be in a world of ****.

Anyone know if that ("maybe be denied") actually means that, or if they mean they will just RFE me. Should I just wait till I have all the requested material?

Also, if it were denied, does that mean she has to leave the country, or we have to do some overcome BS?

The missing I-693A may or may not generate an RFE, but that is not a problem, just a minor delay in processing if they insist on it.

The other missing document was not disclosed, so it's really hard to know what might happen if it is not included.

The basic options at this stage of the game is they will either send you an RFE or return the entire case file with your check. With the price increase coming soon an RFE is your preference.

The missing I-693A may or may not generate an RFE, but that is not a problem, just a minor delay in processing if they insist on it.

The other missing document was not disclosed, so it's really hard to know what might happen if it is not included.

The basic options at this stage of the game is they will either send you an RFE or return the entire case file with your check. With the price increase coming soon an RFE is your preference.

But does the returned check mean that the USCIS can deferr the I-693A to the current fees?

"and this application may be denied"

That is my concern. That doesn't sound like they will simply return my check and documents, it sounds like the case is denied without a fair chance, and then I'd have to mess with overcoming or worse.

If worst case is I get the docs and check back and have to resubmit with all the required docs, that's not a big deal.

That is my concern. That doesn't sound like they will simply return my check and documents, it sounds like the case is denied without a fair chance, and then I'd have to mess with overcoming or worse.

If worst case is I get the docs and check back and have to resubmit with all the required docs, that's not a big deal.

I haven't heard of a denail coming out of the initial filing. There are 3 things that people have reported happening:

1. They accept the I-485 and begin processing
  2. They accept the I-485 and send you an RFE which defers processing.
  3. Return the I-485 and Check because of a major flaw in paperwork.(Refuse to accept)

The returning of the application is not a denial because they did not accept it to begin with so there is no case to deny.

A denial is done by an IO and my understanding is the Chicago lockbox is a processing center for applications and they only assure the USCIS that the paperwork is complete. They have nothing to do with approval or denial.

You mentioned 2 missing documents, the I-693A normally generates an RFE.

What is the other missing item?

I haven't heard of a denail coming out of the initial filing. There are 3 things that people have reported happening:

3. Return the I-485 and Check because of a major flaw in paperwork.(Refuse to accept)

The returning of the application is not a denial because they did not accept it to begin with so there is no case to deny.

A denial is done by an IO and my understanding is the Chicago lockbox is a processing center for applications and they only assure the USCIS that the paperwork is complete. They have nothing to do with approval or denial.

I completely agree with Lee on this. USCIS doesn't just take your money and then deny you outright for lacking a piece of info or two.

At most, you'll be required to submit RFEs. As bad of a reputation as USCIS has, it is still the US government and they have rules and regulations to follow. They can't just outright deny petitions/applications for no good reason. They have to have very compelling reasons to deny you. Your lack of an I-693a supplemental certainly isn't a good enough reason to catagorically deny your wife's AOS application.

I completely agree with Lee on this. USCIS doesn't just take your money and then deny you outright for lacking a piece of info or two.

At most, you'll be required to submit RFEs. As bad of a reputation as USCIS has, it is still the US government and they have rules and regulations to follow. They can't just outright deny petitions/applications for no good reason. They have to have very compelling reasons to deny you. Your lack of an I-693a supplemental certainly isn't a good enough reason to catagorically deny your wife's AOS application.

yeah, thanks guys. i have one more day to thinkg about it before sending it off air express fedex. i'm leaning toward doing what it says though, as another recent post of mine got wrong advice/information, so i'm kind of having second thoughts on doing what others think.

appreciate the responses though.

cheers! :angry:

yeah, thanks guys. i have one more day to thinkg about it before sending it off air express fedex. i'm leaning toward doing what it says though, as another recent post of mine got wrong advice/information, so i'm kind of having second thoughts on doing what others think.

appreciate the responses though.

cheers! :angry:

:P

You must do what you're comfortable with. Good luck.

i submit the i485 to the non-usps address, here, right:

U. S. Citizenship and Immigration

ServicesAttn: FBASI427 S. LaSalle - 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60605-1098

and $390 check since i have to pay for biometrics, right?

ps - i'm a ZZ worshiper!!!! :angry:

Nope, I don't think that's right. Do the math again. :P

i submit the i485 to the non-usps address, here, right:

U. S. Citizenship and Immigration

ServicesAttn: FBASI427 S. LaSalle - 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60605-1098

and $390 check since i have to pay for biometrics, right?

ps - i'm a ZZ worshiper!!!! :angry:

Nope, I don't think that's right. Do the math again. :P

"For example, if your application fee is $325.00 and you arebetween the age of 14 and 79 (which means you must befingerprinted), the total fee you must pay is $395.00."

damn u!! :lol:

ok, does it have to be postmarked before the 30th (USPS), or do i need to overnight this using fedex if i do do it?

ok, does it have to be postmarked before the 30th (USPS), or do i need to overnight this using fedex if i do do it?

postmarked before 30th via USPS. I'm not sure with FedEx. I don't think their date system counts as a postmark. It better make it to Chicago by July 28th to count if using FedEx.

postmarked before 30th via USPS. I'm not sure with FedEx. I don't think their date system counts as a postmark. It better make it to Chicago by July 28th to count if using FedEx.

oh, i'll just use usps then and send it tonight if i do, which the wifey is now pushing for. she think i'm exaggerating! :angry:

what address do I use? on the I1485 on the top it says:

If you live in one of these states or territories, please read this notice to determine your filing location:

ALABAMA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, COLORADO, CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, HAWAII, ILLINOIS,INDIANA, KENTUCKY, LOUISIANA, MAINE, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSISSIPPI, NEVADA, NEWHAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, NORTH CAROLINA, NORTH DAKOTA, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODEISLAND, SOUTH CAROLINA, SOUTH DAKOTA, TENNESSEE, UTAH, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA,WISCONSIN, WYOMING, AS WELL AS THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, GUAM, PUERTO RICO, AND THE VIRGINISLANDS OF THE UNITED STATES

The mailing address has changed for certain applicants living in the locations above, and filing under certaincategories - please review the list below to determine if you should use this direct mail address.

This affects aliens residing in the locations above who are filing Form I-485 under the following categories:

These aliens must submit their Form I-485, and all supporting evidence to the Chicago Lockbox Facility listedbelow.

The Direct Mail address for the aliens mentioned above, applying for adjustment of status is:

Or, for non-United States Postal Service (USPS) deliveries (e.g. private couriers):

U. S. Citizenship and Immigration ServicesAttn: FBASI427 S. LaSalle - 3rd FloorChicago, IL 60605-1098

U. S. Citizenship and Immigration ServicesP.O. Box 805887Chicago, IL 60680-4120

================================

I'm in washington state, so do i send mine to seattle or something? Or do I still use the chicago address above even so Washington is NOT on the list of states mentioned above. :unsure:

what address do I use? on the I1485 on the top it says:

If you live in one of these states or territories, please read this notice to determine your filing location:

ALABAMA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, COLORADO, CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, HAWAII, ILLINOIS,INDIANA, KENTUCKY, LOUISIANA, MAINE, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSISSIPPI, NEVADA, NEWHAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, NORTH CAROLINA, NORTH DAKOTA, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODEISLAND, SOUTH CAROLINA, SOUTH DAKOTA, TENNESSEE, UTAH, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA,WISCONSIN, WYOMING, AS WELL AS THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, GUAM, PUERTO RICO, AND THE VIRGINISLANDS OF THE UNITED STATES

The mailing address has changed for certain applicants living in the locations above, and filing under certaincategories - please review the list below to determine if you should use this direct mail address.

This affects aliens residing in the locations above who are filing Form I-485 under the following categories:

These aliens must submit their Form I-485, and all supporting evidence to the Chicago Lockbox Facility listedbelow.

The Direct Mail address for the aliens mentioned above, applying for adjustment of status is:

Or, for non-United States Postal Service (USPS) deliveries (e.g. private couriers):

U. S. Citizenship and Immigration ServicesAttn: FBASI427 S. LaSalle - 3rd FloorChicago, IL 60605-1098

U. S. Citizenship and Immigration ServicesP.O. Box 805887Chicago, IL 60680-4120

================================

I'm in washington state, so do i send mine to seattle or something? Or do I still use the chicago address above even so Washington is NOT on the list of states mentioned above. :D

Family based I-485s go to the Chicago PO Box.

U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

Send it priority mail, Certified, with the receipt card, you will then have a copy of the POST MARK for your records.

The other address have to do with NON-Family based adjustment such as adjusting from a H1B work visa.

Also a note about leaving the I-693A out, the instructions with I-485 clearly states that you "MAY" include the supplement, it does not say that you have to include it. If you leave that out you may get an RFE from California if they decide to approve without interview, or the interview letter will indicate that you need to have it at the interview.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)