We want to immigrate wife's mother...

Greetings, I stumbled accross this forum on another forum. I've enjoyed reading it. It only took 5 years to find, but I'm glad I did :)

My wife is from Nanning and we've been married for 5 years. She just finished her citizenship interview and is now waiting for the ceremony date. We are both full time students and work full time and have a 2 year old daughter. ;) We need grandma's help! We have begun the B2 process for my wife's mom because we need her so urgently; however we will file an I-130 so she can stay here permanantly as soon as my wife gets her citizenship certificate.

Is this a wrong way to go about it? I've heard that it's much faster to send the I-130 while the person being petitioned is in the US. Does anyone have any experience immigrating their mother this way?

Do we need to file an I-485 once her I-130 is approved?

Greetings, I stumbled accross this forum on another forum. I've enjoyed reading it. It only took 5 years to find, but I'm glad I did :)

My wife is from Nanning and we've been married for 5 years. She just finished her citizenship interview and is now waiting for the ceremony date. We are both full time students and work full time and have a 2 year old daughter. ;) We need grandma's help! We have begun the B2 process for my wife's mom because we need her so urgently; however we will file an I-130 so she can stay here permanantly as soon as my wife gets her citizenship certificate.

Is this a wrong way to go about it? I've heard that it's much faster to send the I-130 while the person being petitioned is in the US. Does anyone have any experience immigrating their mother this way?

Do we need to file an I-485 once her I-130 is approved?

Welcome to Candle.

Your plans are sound. But there might be a chance that her mother will be denied the visa. That is something you need to consider. However, as you have stated, your wife can file the I-130 for her mother once she becomes a citizen but such cases can take a very long time.

The best scenario would be for her to get the B2 visa and then, once in the states, file the I-130 and the I-485 concurrently in her behalf. That's the best way but she needs to get the B2 first. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

-good luck

Hi,

just curious, is it possible to immigrate my mother from china when i am holding green card?

or is it possible to immigrate my sister based on green card?

thanks

Wendy

A lawful permanent resident (LPR) can petition for their spouses and/or children but usually not their parents. You will need citizenship to petition for a parent.