J. R. Ewing, She's Not

With my fiancee still in Hubei, we continue to maintain our daily web cam/web chat conversations. I try to keep her informed as to daily activities and include her in all major decisions. As of late, we have had several oil companies conducting seismic surveys on our ranch. Apparently something has caught their interest and they have started negotiations about a mineral lease and oil royalties should they find something. The latest offer involves a fairly substantial amount of money and so my fiancee and I discussed the pending offer. If we did take the offer, a upwards of 5 - 10 acres of land would be damaged in the process and a small maintenance road built during the drilling process. As I mentioned, we would "benefit" from a substantial amount of money if we were to take their current offer. I explained the financial arrangements we would receive and of course the minor damage that could be done. Her vote was no. She did not want the money. She said our life is fine now and that we have good jobs, a paid for house and ranch, a couple of vehicles and funds to get our kids through university. There isn't a lot left over after the bills are paid, but life isn't bad. She thought that maintaining our current lifestyle was fine. She said that yes, the money would be nice, but not at the cost of damaging our ranch, which she has yet to see in person. Then she floored me when she said not to sign the contract. She said the wealth beneath our land is a bank of sorts and that perhaps our children or our children's children could withdraw on it in years to come. She said to leave it for the children because we have a good life now. She reminded me that it was my ancestors that passed it on, and now it is in my hands to pass on and that she and I are only temporary custodians of this land and we too, should leave it intact for posterity. She does not want the scenery of our ranch altered. She concluded our conversation on that issue by saying, "When I asked to make a decision, I will, consider, our , the whole family benefits, my husband and my children and our environment, and our all..... "

It is nice to know that in all cultures, that you find folks who are more interested in what will follow than to grab what you can today. This comes from a woman who reminds me that it is her duty to keep my glass alway full so that I never have to worry about whether it's half full or half empty. Love that woman.

As aye,

Jim

Edited by SinoTexas (see edit history)

Gee, seems they've all missed the point, Jim. The point of what your wife said to you...the point how money wasn't important...the point of preserving what you have for the future...says a lot, doesn't it?

You've got a good one their, brother. But, of course, you know that already. :lol:

Awe Dennis, I got his point. Jim does have a awesome wife that is a given.

He's been to Cali, y'all did meet, or didn't cha? I've seen him, it's written all over his face. :P

I admire the choices they have been talking about. How I would picture a husband and wife should talk about things.

Jim?

You being a lover of the wild, were you concidering it? I tend to think not. I feel if you didn't give in, someone will next door. Our neighbors have, and it's sad. :D

What I find cool is that most of our wives are in the same arena in this sense. That is what attracted me to my wife. That, and the crazy stuff she pulls. ;)

Jim, even though you're a Texan, I don't think you're really a Beverly Hill Billy.

If the discussion is truly for a "substantial" amount of money, then I think it's incumbent upon you to seek outside counsel to represent you in your negotiations. You probably have. What does outside council recommend?

The way you have described your SO, she sounds like one in a million. I certainly don't know anyone from China who would respond in the manner your SO has.

My wife, just the other night, asked me if I ever thought about what would happen if there were no more humans on planet earth. I responded that yes I have and I think the planet would be a better place for it. Her response was that she simply can't fathom what planet earth would be like without humans. She said that to her, planet earth was made for humanity to live. If humans all died, what becomes of the earth? Everything else on planet earth is made to be used and consumed by humans--in her mind. What's the point of Earth if all humans were not here? It startled me how she thought, but I do believe her state of mind is more consistent with the rest of the general Chinese population than your wife's. If it's really your wife's philosophy than she's exceptionally progressive and idealistic. Quite admirable.

With my fiancee still in Hubei, we continue to maintain our daily web cam/web chat conversations. I try to keep her informed as to daily activities and include her in all major decisions. As of late, we have had several oil companies conducting seismic surveys on our ranch. Apparently something has caught their interest and they have started negotiations about a mineral lease and oil royalties should they find something. The latest offer involves a fairly substantial amount of money and so my fiancee and I discussed the pending offer. If we did take the offer, a upwards of 5 - 10 acres of land would be damaged in the process and a small maintenance road built during the drilling process. As I mentioned, we would "benefit" from a substantial amount of money if we were to take their current offer. I explained the financial arrangements we would receive and of course the minor damage that could be done. Her vote was no. She did not want the money. She said our life is fine now and that we have good jobs, a paid for house and ranch, a couple of vehicles and funds to get our kids through university. There isn't a lot left over after the bills are paid, but life isn't bad. She thought that maintaining our current lifestyle was fine. She said that yes, the money would be nice, but not at the cost of damaging our ranch, which she has yet to see in person. Then she floored me when she said not to sign the contract. She said the wealth beneath our land is a bank of sorts and that perhaps our children or our children's children could withdraw on it in years to come. She said to leave it for the children because we have a good life now. She reminded me that it was my ancestors that passed it on, and now it is in my hands to pass on and that she and I are only temporary custodians of this land and we too, should leave it intact for posterity. She does not want the scenery of our ranch altered. She concluded our conversation on that issue by saying, "When I asked to make a decision, I will, consider, our , the whole family benefits, my husband and my children and our environment, and our all..... "

It is nice to know that in all cultures, that you find folks who are more interested in what will follow than to grab what you can today. This comes from a woman who reminds me that it is her duty to keep my glass alway full so that I never have to worry about whether it's half full or half empty. Love that woman.

As aye,

Jim

I am not an oil and gas lawyer but I know there are laws that provide protection against slant drilling and that sort of thing. I think those same laws provide protection based on where the oil is coming from even if someone drills straight down on their own property. Don't rely on this Jim :lol:.

My country attorney is dealing with it now. I can't afford one of those fancy Houston law firms. :D He's had to deal with the likes of Exxon and other oil companies for awhile. He is working on a better deal and with more environmental protections and restoration should they drill. My attorney mentioned that even if I did not sign and a well was drilled on an adjacent property, that I would be part of a royalty pool, although I would not get near as much, if I negotiate separately. I have told the oil lease folks that negotiations are off until my fiancee is here in Texas so that she can be included. They asked when she would be here and I said September because she wanted a cheaper airfare. The oil lease fella said that perhaps they (the oil lease firm) could pick up the airfare to fly her out sooner!!! I said that I'm sure she would appreciate a business class seat if you wanna make it sooner. :) We'll see...

As aye,

Jim

Yi HHHHAAAAAA go get them Jim.

Willthey fly her out so that negotiations can start knowing that this is not a commitment from you? Wouldn't hurt to ask. Then if you turn them down you still got something. :lol:

Oh by the way we do more than surf out here dudes. THis morning I did my Sunday morning ride on horseback in the hills nearby.

So when will we see you out our way again?

Edited by Dan R (see edit history)

I did my fair share of horse back riding when I was the back country ranger at Grand Canyon National Park. Down and up the Canyon several times a week for two years...ugh. The payoff was that it was a great way to meet girls.

Speaking of horses, I did bareback one time. After one attempted ride and being thrown in the air just out of the chute, I learned that it was a long way to the ground from the back of a bucking bronc. No thanks.

No horses currently on the ranch here. We will probably look at getting a couple at some point after Jiangyi arrives, although it will depend if the NPS will keep me here. We shall see.

Lee, the mineral lease is only for oil and natural gas. The water and any other minerals are not part of any deal. My guess is that the water rights will become more valuable than oil in a few years. I'm hanging on to that.

As aye,

Jim