Ok... Often the PSB doesn even understand Chinese visa's and the dates. I have had them tell me, "Oh, you visa doesn't expire for 2 more months, we won't renew it", and while that was true, I was on a 30 day visa, with only 2 days to go...

So, here's the deal, there are 2 different dates... The visa is "valid" for 3 months after issue... The visa could be a 30 day visa, a 60, 90, or even a one year. But, you have 3 months to enter. So, if you get a 30 day visa, on January 1st (for example), you have to enter by April 1st... If you enter february 1st, you can only stay till March 2nd (remeber 28 days)... If you enter March 31st, you can stay until April 30th... You cannot enter after April 1st... Be careful, because customs/psb might tell you different, but they are wrong... It doesn't matter what they say, it only matters what the person stamping your passport on the way out says...

I have had people at local PSB's give visa's that they weren't supposed to, and extend more times than they were supposed to. One time in the airport, the passport control people had an impromptu meeting to decide what to do with my invalid visa. The decided that since I did was I thought was legal, that it was the problem with the local PSB, and they let me go...

Officially, for each day you stay over, it's 500 RMB. I have heard horror storries (from the people it happened to) about this.

The horror stories are true! When I was working in Shanghai for my American companies Chinese operation doing the test and manufacturing engineering, I had a technician over there helping me set up equipment and keep it operating. He was over there on a 30 day tourist visa and was in the process of waiting on a Z-visa. He didn't pay any attention to the number of days that it took on the Z-visa. He overstayed the tourist visa by 11 days before they were able to issue the Z-visa. He got called into the PSB and raked over the coals. He ended up having to write a letter of apology to the Chinese and also was fined 5500 RMB which rings true with the amount you stated. He was lucky in that the the CEO of our chinese counterpart as well as the HR guy testfied for him and explained that he didn't realize what he had done wrong and wouldn't do it again. He was lucky in that our company paid his fine because he was really needed there at the time. They even still issued his Z-visa.

Gale

The horror stories are true! When I was working in Shanghai for my American companies Chinese operation doing the test and manufacturing engineering, I had a technician over there helping me set up equipment and keep it operating. He was over there on a 30 day tourist visa and was in the process of waiting on a Z-visa. He didn't pay any attention to the number of days that it took on the Z-visa. He overstayed the tourist visa by 11 days before they were able to issue the Z-visa. He got called into the PSB and raked over the coals. He ended up having to write a letter of apology to the Chinese and also was fined 5500 RMB which rings true with the amount you stated. He was lucky in that the the CEO of our chinese counterpart as well as the HR guy testfied for him and explained that he didn't realize what he had done wrong and wouldn't do it again. He was lucky in that our company paid his fine because he was really needed there at the time. They even still issued his Z-visa.

Gale

Wheew! I guess I got lucky or the Chinese just like me. I even got away with bringing roses through their customs. Just told 'em they weren't for planting. :D

When i tried to renew my tourist visa the first time, my school (where I was working, with just a tourist visa) took my passport to the PSB to renew it... The PSB knew I was working. It ran out September 1st. The guy at the PSB that was supposed to stamp it was too busy. It took 2 weeks to get my visa extended. Technically I overstayed by 2 weeks, but they renewed it with no problems... The school had it renewed 3 times in total, and the PSB always knew I was working... After the 3rd time, the PSB would renew it. The school payed for me to go to Hong Kong and get a business visa (at that point, I could only get a 6 month). When that ran out, the PSB extended it for another month.... My point? it all depends on the person behind the desk.

I actually got a reply for the Chinese Embassy here in San Francisco.....by FAX. I tried to call but never got through. But in less than an hour after I FAX'd them, I got a reply.

They said that as long as I enter before the Visa expires, I will be OK. But they emphasied that if my Visa is a 30 day type, not to exceed this. I also saw that on their website the Chinese Fees are going up in August. Since I will be going back again next year for CNY and my SO's interview :rolleyes: , I may just get the newer Visa now and save some money.

Thanks for all your replies.

When i tried to renew my tourist visa the first time, my school (where I was working, with just a tourist visa) took my passport to the PSB to renew it... The PSB knew I was working. It ran out September 1st. The guy at the PSB that was supposed to stamp it was too busy. It took 2 weeks to get my visa extended. Technically I overstayed by 2 weeks, but they renewed it with no problems... The school had it renewed 3 times in total, and the PSB always knew I was working... After the 3rd time, the PSB would renew it. The school payed for me to go to Hong Kong and get a business visa (at that point, I could only get a 6 month). When that ran out, the PSB extended it for another month.... My point? it all depends on the person behind the desk.

No foreigner can physically stay in China for over 365 days. You MUST physically leave the country and enter again. Even if the PSB incorrectly renewed your original Visa a 4th time with your school bribing them, you'd still be screwed when you try to depart China. At the Exit Immigration station, you'd be heavily fined.

Going to HK to get a new visa and returning to China is the most often--and cheapest--method used for expats working in China who do not have Z visas.

Everything you've stated in your story is completely consistent with how things are done practically on a day to day basis. But don't be mislead into thinking that you can screw around with the Exit Immigration station when you leave China, if you over-stayed your visa. They are indeed very adamant about fining people who overstay. It's easy income for China. It's 500rmb/day, up to a max fine of 5000rmb. Some people have been able to charm their way out of not paying the fine if they over stayed their welcome by a couple of days, but if you're planning on getting by Scott free if you overstay for a few weeks, you're dreaming. They'll demand the 5000rmb. If you don't have it, they'll keep you locked up until some relative or friend from the US coughs up the fine for you.

Sorry, when I said " it all depends on the person behind the desk", I was referring to when you get your visa, not when you leave. If you overstay, yeah, you are screwed... But, if you have a valid visa/extension, you are fine. That part depends on the person's mood when you get it.

Technically I had overstayed for 2 weeks. Not sure how that works. I handed in my passport for the extension before it expired, but they messed around for a few weeks before they renewed it. But they did renew it... That made my nervious.

In order to renew the visa you have to physically leave the country. Nanning is closer to Viet Nam than Hong Kong. Does anyone know if you can take a day trip to VN, renew the passport and re-enter?

For many visa's, you don't need to leave to renew. If you have a 30 day tourist visa, they are supposed to allow you to renew it for 2 times (believe me, I have done it LOT's of times). If the local PSB doesn know what they are doing (which was my case), they might even renew it a 3rd time (like in my case)... You DO have to leave to get a new visa (at least a new tourist visa).

The closest place in Vietnam to go is Hanoi. I have done the Nanning-Hanoi, Hanoi-Nanning route several times. If you leave at like 7:00 AM, best case, you will be in Hanoi at 2:00-ish. That doesn't give you enough time to get your Chinese visa and come back (I am not sure they would give you same day service)... If you want more information about getting from Nanning to Hanoi, please let me know. It can be a bit tricky and costly (more so on the Vietnamese side) if you don't know what's going on.

There are a few reasons why people opt for going to Hong Kong. 1, you don't need a visa, and 2, there are some visa's you can only get in Hong Kong. A few years ago, you could get a 1 year milti-entry business visa for $120. All you needed was the form, the money, a picture, and your passport. Take it to the travel agent, and 3 days later you have the visa. You can't do that in Hanoi (I tried :P, I had to fly from there to Hong Kong).

While I was living in China, I became an expert at all the different kinds of visa's... In 3 years, I have everything but a work visa (Z Visa)... Anyone staying long term that doesn't have a work visa, I would recommend a student visa. That will give you a residence card for a year... I had to pay 4000 RMB for university tuition for a semester (I was a good boy and went to all the classes).

News Article

China Daily:

"American overstays China Visa more than one year,is sentenced

2 years to teach English in China for free."

http://www.ChinaDaily.com/article=ID090870657.htm

Would like to read, however the link you posted is bad.

ChinaDaily.com is not the same as ChinaDaily.com.cn the .com only has classified adds whereas the .com.cn is the newspaper.