Passport style photos

Speaking of passport style photos, a photo place nearby my home has closed after many years of service to the community. Now I guess Walgreens gets to do the passport photos now. I just got back from there. They use a 4 mp hand held digital camera, put you in front of a white projector screen they pull down, take the card from the camera, size the picture properly with their editing functions, then send the photo to the printer. Turns out that their quality is not quite as good as the quality I came up with doing my wife's photo as I mentioned earlier.

It's not the quality but the size that's important. Anyone can do this at home with Photoshop and a color inkject printer, but the problem is getting the proper size (2x2") output. Once you have Walgreen's Photoshop template then you can easily do this at home. I've tried tinkering around with this myself but still haven't gotten the exact right size yet.

It's not the quality but the size that's important. Anyone can do this at home with Photoshop and a color inkject printer, but the problem is getting the proper size (2x2") output. Once you have Walgreen's Photoshop template then you can easily do this at home. I've tried tinkering around with this myself but still haven't gotten the exact right size yet.

Photoshop allows you to change the print size of a photo without changing the number of pixels (i.e., change the resolution). Paint Shop Pro allows you to specify an exact print size when printing. I believe most photo print programs will do this as well.

Photoshop allows you to change the print size of a photo without changing the number of pixels (i.e., change the resolution). Paint Shop Pro allows you to specify an exact print size when printing. I believe most photo print programs will do this as well.

Many photo print programs will allow for one dimension to be changed while keeping the aspect ratio the same. If you can start with a square photo then changing to 2x2 is very easy to do. You will have to put it on a larger size media and cut it out.

Many photo print programs will allow for one dimension to be changed while keeping the aspect ratio the same. If you can start with a square photo then changing to 2x2 is very easy to do. You will have to put it on a larger size media and cut it out.

There is usually a way to make a square selection, then crop to the selection. With Photoshop, hold the shift key while you make your selection. With Paint Shop Pro, there is a square selection tool.

There is usually a way to make a square selection, then crop to the selection. With Photoshop, hold the shift key while you make your selection. With Paint Shop Pro, there is a square selection tool.

But will that distort the pixels if the image needs to be border to border and the placement of the face kept within the guidline parameters?

But will that distort the pixels if the image needs to be border to border and the placement of the face kept within the guidline parameters?

No - you select the exact pixels you need to make the face the correct proportion within the square. Then resize, keeping the same proportion of height to width, to 2"x2".

You must have enough pixels to begin with so the picture won't appear pixelated, but the proportions can be preserved at each step.

No - you select the exact pixels you need to make the face the correct proportion within the square. Then resize, keeping the same proportion of height to width, to 2"x2".

You must have enough pixels to begin with so the picture won't appear pixelated, but the proportions can be preserved at each step.

Cool........As of now I am good to go because she emailed to me a 2x2 so it was easy to print. But I definitely will keep all of this in mind for the next go around. Thanks buddy :)

After more tinkering, I was able to align six (6) 2x2 photos on one 4x6 Canon photo paper. It turned out great. My wife was amazed we could do this at home with our digital camera and an ink jet printer.

I just mailed out our AoS (I-485) 40 minutes ago; in the package I submitted two of the six 2x2 photos I printed. <_<

Didn't have to bother with going to Walgreens or Costco for the passport photos.

After more tinkering, I was able to align six (6) 2x2 photos on one 4x6 Canon photo paper. It turned out great. My wife was amazed we could do this at home with our digital camera and an ink jet printer.

I just mailed out our AoS (I-485) 40 minutes ago; in the package I submitted two of the six 2x2 photos I printed. ;)

Didn't have to bother with going to Walgreens or Costco for the passport photos.

What did you use for the white background? Walgreens uses a white projector pull down screen. These photos done at home are good and easily pass the DOS guidelines.

I just mailed out our AoS (I-485) 40 minutes ago; in the package I submitted two of the six 2x2 photos I printed. ;)

What did you use for the white background? Walgreens uses a white projector pull down screen. These photos done at home are good and easily pass the DOS guidelines.

Just a white wall in our house. I used Photoshop to lighten the background--actually the whole image. I actually have one of those white projector screens but didn't think to use it. The white wall worked fine. There's no way you'd be able to tell the difference between my home made two photos and those made by Walgreen. The only difference would probably be the back side of the photos where mine say Canon and Walgreens may say Kodak or Fuji. :yahoo:

I just mailed out our AoS (I-485) 40 minutes ago; in the package I submitted two of the six 2x2 photos I printed. :yahoo:

Just a white wall in our house. I used Photoshop to lighten the background--actually the whole image. I actually have one of those white projector screens but didn't think to use it. The white wall worked fine. There's no way you'd be able to tell the difference between my home made two photos and those made by Walgreen. The only difference would probably be the back side of the photos where mine say Canon and Walgreens may say Kodak or Fuji. :yahoo:

The watermark on the back of my photo paper said Staples. :yahoo: ;)

In that case, one could always argue that one got their photos taken at Staples. Staples probably does offer passport photos. They have copying/business centers at my local Staples. I could easily see those Staples business centers offering passport photos.

In that case, one could always argue that one got their photos taken at Staples. Staples probably does offer passport photos. They have copying/business centers at my local Staples. I could easily see those Staples business centers offering passport photos.

But my wife had her picture taken in Jiujiang. There is no Staples there :yahoo: The photo is good. I have no worries.